Thermal solution for existing red dot??

sacklunch

WKR
Im not a thermal connisour, but I know they dont work through glass, so assuming there are no solutions for rifle mounted thermals while maintaining an existing red dot?

want the ability to yote hunt with my AR but don't want to have to remove and re-zero a red dot everytime.

Obviously the XPS3.0 is NV compatible, so some clip on NV which could be another option. but having used a few friends thermals, understand range more of a limiting factor with NV.

the Sig thermal witb red dot on top would work, but I dint really care to have a $2k thermal getting beat around daily on a truck gun.

Inputs, thoughts, suggestions?

Majority of people don't have thermals on their daily truck gun so build another AR that is your dedicated thermal rig.
I have also saw some setups that guys use down in Texas for hogs that have a 45degree offset mount on their thermal scope to accommodate a red dot.
The new Holosun DRS-TH is also interesting but i think in the end it'd be best to have 2 different dedicated setups.

• Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
I saw the holosun released at SHOT. That's what peaked my interest, but goes back to having a $2300+ optic on a truck gun.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
I have hands-on with the AGM Rattler. Decent product. Street price around $2600. Rail or objective mount. Can be mounted to and zeroed on multiple guns by adjusting associated x/y coordinates.

Zero to yours, remove quick connect, carry clip on in glove box. Toss it on and shoot when opportunity presents itself.

I prefer NV over thermals, mainly due to the fact that I have more experience with NV. However, I also feel that a thermal site makes a weapon one dimensional. Just my opinion.

I've been trying out a thermal clip on this year. It's pretty slick to use the same rifle for day and night.

You could use an LPVO with clip on and an offset red dot. I'm assuming the red dot wouldn't be good enough range wise to just use the red dot with the clip on?

• Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
I prefer NV over thermals, mainly due to the fact that I have more experience with NV. However, I also feel that a thermal site makes a weapon one dimensional. Just my opinion.
What kind of useful range are you seeing NVs in that couple thousand dollar range?

I not using a set of NVs in the couple thousand dollar range. NV is much more expensive than thermals, but with my NV/laser combo I can shoot out to about 200-250yds on minimal moonlight. On a bright night I can push to about 300.

IW17

FNG
Have a QD mount for both the red dot and the thermal. Something quality, like American defense or LaRue. Problem solved. Or buy another upper for the thermal. Or another gun if you just need an excuse to buy another gun.

I run a 45 degree offset red dot on my thermal setup, exactly for this. During the winter I have been able to use the thermal pretty much all day, with some exceptions.