Thinking about a Mystery Ranch

Takeem406

WKR
Last fall I decided to try elk hunting again. I really had a fun time and actually saw elk one day lol!
Anyways I'd bought my first backcountry hunting pack, an Eberlestock Dragonfly.
I love how the pack is set up however try as I may the shoulder straps chafed me. I tried several ways of adjusting and watched the YouTube movie several times.

So my question is what's the difference between a $450 pack and a $750 pack like Mystery Ranch and Kifaru?
I need a larger meat pack and a multiple day bag. Even on my day outings I pack enough to spend a night Incase.

What models should I look at?

I'm leaning towards Mystery Ranch because I believe they are based out of Bozeman.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Check out the review on 24hourcampfire. I can answer questions you have on those specific packs here.

The extra cash is well spent.

Beastmode

WKR
Money is well worth it. I have had eberlestock, mystery ranch and kifaru packs. Right now I am using a kifaru and am glad I spent the money.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Once you have more than just your day hunting gear you will see the difference between the Eberlestock and the MR/Kifaru. No comparison when you get a heavy load.

mtmiller

WKR
Last fall I decided to try elk hunting again. I really had a fun time and actually saw elk one day lol!
Anyways I'd bought my first backcountry hunting pack, an Eberlestock Dragonfly.
I love how the pack is set up however try as I may the shoulder straps chafed me. I tried several ways of adjusting and watched the YouTube movie several times.

So my question is what's the difference between a $450 pack and a $750 pack like Mystery Ranch and Kifaru?
I need a larger meat pack and a multiple day bag. Even on my day outings I pack enough to spend a night Incase.

What models should I look at?

I'm leaning towards Mystery Ranch because I believe they are based out of Bozeman.

I had an Eberle and it was OK. Now I am using a NICE set up and it is much better. I have the Metcalf and it won't come close to setting you back $700. I have never strapped a Kifaru on, but obviously there are some hardcore hunters here that have good things to say about them. Time is on your side, stop by MR next time you are in Bozeman.....or, pull the trigger on a Kifaru. Crap, as long as you are in Bozeman, check out Stone Glacier as well.

mfolch

WKR
My buddy used an Eberlestock for one ten-day hunt and switched to his ultralight gregory for the rest of the season. Next season, I got him on the kifaru bandwagon and he's never gotten off. He now owns three. It's all about how they carry weight. If you've got ten days worth of gear, food, ammo, an extra rifle, a stove, axe, etc. and you may end up carrying more out than in, a pack that can handle bad weight is worth the cost.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had an Eberle and it was OK. Now I am using a NICE set up and it is much better. I have the Metcalf and it won't come close to setting you back $700. I have never strapped a Kifaru on, but obviously there are some hardcore hunters here that have good things to say about them. Time is on your side, stop by MR next time you are in Bozeman.....or, pull the trigger on a Kifaru. Crap, as long as you are in Bozeman, check out Stone Glacier as well.

Damn good advice! All of the companies listed make great packs, but checking out the two by your house first is exactly what I would do.

I'd agree... you are better off with Mr/kifaru/SG than many or most of the other packs out there. You can't go wrong with any of those. I have had the mr system and bought it because it was made local. If you are in boz swing by, they are very helpful. The people at schnees were very good about letting me play around with the SG stuff at the downtown store.

That said.... I have completely drank the kifaru cool aid and don't see myself going back to the nice frame ever unless there are some major changes.

I am on my honeymoon starting tomorrow through next Sunday.... but hit me up and I'll let you try out my kifaru packs. I have bikini and duplex frames and a myriad of bags and pods. You are more than welcome to try them out. My staff at work always thinks I'm crazy when random dudes are walking around the back with packs on hahaha.

Don't decide without trying kifaru...

Joe

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Full disclosure , I helped design the Paradox. You may want to add the Paradox to your list of high end packs. It carries really well at light and heavy loads, is very well made and very lightweight for what it does.

I used a stone glacier 7000cu in last summer in the brooks range for a 10 day hunt. The only thing I would want different on the pack is a couple of external pouches for a spotting scope and other gear. For a 3.5 lb internal frame pack that holds well over 200 lbs I will open the main compartment every time I want to use my spotting scope. Great pack!

2ski

WKR
If you make it to Bozeman hit me up and you can throw on my DT2, a MR and a SG all in the same day. Kind of back to back to back. I'll even show you around if you want. MR isn't the easiest place to find, SG is downtown. Plan on spending at least an hour at MR. They'll take it off and tweek it for you over and over until its right for you. Since Joe is on his honeymoon, if you want, I'll be in GF this weekend to watch a fight and can bring my Kifaru. I have the grab it and gun bearer so you can see how those work too. Trust me....you'll want the gun bearer. Joe was cool enough to let me check out his Kifaru, so I'll happily do the same for a Rokslide member.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used a stone glacier 7000cu in last summer in the brooks range for a 10 day hunt. The only thing I would want different on the pack is a couple of external pouches for a spotting scope and other gear. For a 3.5 lb internal frame pack that holds well over 200 lbs I will open the main compartment every time I want to use my spotting scope. Great pack!

It's actually an external frame pack, or hybrid, anyway.

husky390

WKR
I was in the same boat you were. I had a Gerber turkey hunting backpack that was a great daypack but not big enough nor could it haul meat. Then a Badlands 2200 that fit me horribly, then an Eberlestock Gunslinger that fits great up to 35lbs but it can't handle anymore than that, so I pulled the trigger on a Kifaru T1. I just got it and haven't played with it too much but so far I love it. Their customer service is great to, even when they have to hold my hand on how to set up my pack.

Bottom line, I'd have saved time and money had I bought a Kifaru, MR, or SG up front instead of messing around with the other packs.

If you make it to Bozeman hit me up and you can throw on my DT2, a MR and a SG all in the same day. Kind of back to back to back. I'll even show you around if you want. MR isn't the easiest place to find, SG is downtown. Plan on spending at least an hour at MR. They'll take it off and tweek it for you over and over until its right for you. Since Joe is on his honeymoon, if you want, I'll be in GF this weekend to watch a fight and can bring my Kifaru. I have the grab it and gun bearer so you can see how those work too. Trust me....you'll want the gun bearer. Joe was cool enough to let me check out his Kifaru, so I'll happily do the same for a Rokslide member.

That is one hell of an offer! Nothing better than being able to get your mitts on those packs and see how they fit.

For me there is absolutely no comparison is suspension fit, comfort, and carry of a Kifaru over a MR. However, I do like some MR packs. For day- 3 day hunts and outings I have a MR Longbow attached to my Kifaru Bikini frame. The best of both worlds for me. Extreme comfort and an incredible small pack. Once I order a new Kifaru Nomad it might be a dog!!!

Josey D

FNG
Takeeem,
Let me know if you decide to go with a MR. I am thinking about trying a Kifaru but would need to sell my current set up. I have a 6500 on a nice frame, a load hauler that has only been used once, & a c.c. that has never been attached to the nice frame yet. I always just use the 6500 bag, so I would try & sell all 3 together.

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
Sounds like Kifaru is top dog... Right now I'm deciding if I'm even going to continue big game hunting or not. Elk hunting in my experience always turns into a pointless waste of time. FWP is going to shut down doe hunting, and for good reason. And loper rifle opens right when goose season is just starting lol!
But my buddy is trying to talk me into one last try with elk and his experience as a guide. I swear I could go with Will Primos and not see a single animal!
I've got a waterfowl trip to NoDak planned so I'm trying to get geared for that.
If I do get a Kifaru, is it worth getting g a custom fitted one? Or is that the whole point?