Thinking about a Mystery Ranch

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, $600 plus for one trip is a LOT to justify. Grab a cheap pack frame and a dry bag for one last trip.

Shrek

WKR
Since you have a little time I would find a used kifaru duplex or bikini and use it. If you decide you are done with backpack hunting then sell it. You wouldn't lose much more than shipping if you buy and sell a used pack in good shape.

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
Takeem406, since you already have a dragonfly you can mod it with longer stays and functional load lifters for about $35. this will give you much more comfort with your shoulder harness. If you decide your going to stick with it then you can upgrade to a high end pack.

Sounds like Kifaru is top dog... Right now I'm deciding if I'm even going to continue big game hunting or not. Elk hunting in my experience always turns into a pointless waste of time. FWP is going to shut down doe hunting, and for good reason. And loper rifle opens right when goose season is just starting lol!
But my buddy is trying to talk me into one last try with elk and his experience as a guide. I swear I could go with Will Primos and not see a single animal!
I've got a waterfowl trip to NoDak planned so I'm trying to get geared for that.
If I do get a Kifaru, is it worth getting g a custom fitted one? Or is that the whole point?

First off... Will Primos in the little belts would be laughable at best. On his videos he is hunting areas with roads all over them. I don't think you should give up. I came up here from Wyoming where I had areas that seeing less than 20 in a day would have been a bad day. In only 2 years I have barely began to consistenly see elk around here... but I know they are there, and I know if I put myself in there I will be on elk and soon be back to fighting off elk with a stick. It is a difficult game in any setting, add the pressure that the lb/highwoods/front get and you are in for a fight.

Don't give up.... but the one thing to think about is this... no matter how much we tote these ungodly expensive bags and put them on a pedestal so high that we are willing to fight on a public forum for it, IT WILL NOT FIND YOU MORE ELK, IT WILL NOT CALL IN ELK FOR YOU, IT WILL NOT KEEP PEOPLE FROM RUINING YOUR SETS UPS AND IT WILL NOT MAKE GETTING SKUNKED ANY EASIER.

I would stick with what you have until you know you are going to stick with it. Or as others have mentioned, get it now and sell it for what you have into it next year if you don't like it.

Elk hunting is a sickness, just like any other, sometimes it just comes on slow... so when you are ready, come check out my bags then head down to BOZ to make an informed decision. You cant go wrong, but you cant fight the desire to chase elk around if you live where you do hahaha

Joe

PS: As long as the belt fits you and you get the proper stays, you customize it yourself. If you are worried, get the aluminum stays and they you can bend it till you like it. In a sense, they are all "custom" and all "not custom" at the same time.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Last fall I decided to try elk hunting again. I really had a fun time and actually saw elk one day lol!
Anyways I'd bought my first backcountry hunting pack, an Eberlestock Dragonfly.
I love how the pack is set up however try as I may the shoulder straps chafed me. I tried several ways of adjusting and watched the YouTube movie several times.

So my question is what's the difference between a $450 pack and a $750 pack like Mystery Ranch and Kifaru?
I need a larger meat pack and a multiple day bag. Even on my day outings I pack enough to spend a night Incase.

What models should I look at?

I'm leaning towards Mystery Ranch because I believe they are based out of Bozeman.

If you're just using it for one hunt, you can borrow one of mine.

Just send it back when you're finished with the hunt.

Call or PM me if you wanna take me up on the offer.

Aron

stephen b

WKR
If you're just using it for one hunt, you can borrow one of mine.

Just send it back when you're finished with the hunt.

Call or PM me if you wanna take me up on the offer.

Aron

That right there is great service!! Nicely done Aron.

Takeem406- if I was you, I would at least contact Aron and talk to him, regardless of what way you go. Can guarantee it will be worth your time.

Good luck with your pack purchase and your hunt!