Thinking of joining a Crossfit Box/Gym-What should I look for?

Hello All,

I've had a gym membership at a standard gym for a few years. I've typically gone 3 or more days a week following a modified Starting Strength routine. I have found that for me, it does not translate as well as I'd like to the mountains.

I see a lot of folks on here are members of Crossfit gyms. Have you found that Crossfit translates well to the mountains? If so, what should I be looking for in a Crossfit gym, and what questions should I be asking before I signup?

Thank you,

You need to make sure that they prioritize proper movement over speed! That is first and foremost.

Any decent crossfit gym will have at least a 3 week to month long beginners "course" to go through where you will learn all of the proper movements, techniques, etc. It may be hard to check your ego at the door and go through the course, but taking the time to learn all of the movements correctly can you really save you in the long run.

After that, just hang out and see if you get a long with the people there. Most crossfit gyms are more like small communities, its a pretty neat atmosphere to be a part of.

It will definitely get you in shape.

Okay I'm home and on cold medicine so hang with me if this rambles or gets disjointed.

Talk to the coaches and make sure they have a proper attitude about beginners and aren't just going to throw you in on your own.

Check the programming. Make sure there's a good mix of strength work and metcons. If they do 30 minute "chipper" workouts, named WODS or it looks like something a Games competitor would do every day run far far away.

Talk to other members about how the programming is and how the coaches are with safety and injuries. If you find someone coming back from their 4th shoulder injury that's a red flag. If they say "I wasn't even allowed to kip a pull up until I hit 10 strict ones" you're on the right track.

If you find a place you're interested in post a link to their website and I'll look it over if you want. I had a good time with CrossFit for 2 years before I moved on.

I agree with what ^ he said. Proper movement over speed is paramount.

1. I would ask very specific questions about programming. Since you are an SS guys, for example, I would ask how often they backsquat and how important they consider backsquatting to their overall programming. I say that because some Xfit boxes do not program backsquats. Avoid these boxes. Flip through their programming history.

2. One variable of programming for Xfit boxes is the clientele. If you join a box in the high end suburbs that caters largely to soccer moms, you'll often find the programming to lend itself more to "boot camp" type work outs rather than focus on strength training, power movements etc.
Visit some different boxes and look for some individuals that you identify with. If you find that you are an outdoorsman among yuppies, its probably not a good fit for you. Even if you don't line in a very outdoorsy place, find a box where there are some serious athletes training. Being surrounded by people who pursue their own athletic endeavors exterior to Crossfit will likely fit you much better. Some boxes are only focused on the Xfit games and preparing their members to compete in the games despite none of them having a chance in Hell at even going to a regional event.

3. I would look at their scheduling. IMO, a box should offer the opportunity to work out on any day of the week. Some boxes close on a weekday to have a mandatory day off. I would also look and see how much open gym time they offer. This can vary from 1 hour a week to daily open gyms. Personally, I find this important since I like to use the facility to do my own specific workouts at different times of the year. I'll also frequently work out on my own during scheduled classes, but I've been a member at a place for sometime and nobody can really tell me what to do. :)

4. Look at the coaches and their credentials. Anybody with a free weekend and $1,000 to spare can become a Crossfit coach. Are they full time coaches or are they coaching classes in exchange for a free membership? Do they hold certifications in addition to Xfit? Oly Lifting, SS, Wilderness Athlete etc would be examples of additional certifications.

5. Also, since you are an SS guy, you'll likely run into some resistance from some of the coaches when it comes to low bar backsquat. This won't necessarily be the case as some Xfit boxes are SS certified and even teach the low bar backsquat, but your average Xfit coach may have never even heard of a LBBS and will try to correct you to do high bar because that is all they are familiar with. I use a LBBS and have run into problems when dropping into other boxes. Sometimes you just have to explain what you are doing and why, other times you just let it go in one ear and out the other, sometimes you just have to tell them to **** off. Some of these coaches are 22 years old with literally 2-3 years of training history and need to be put in their place by people with more knowledge and experience. :D No reason to go in with a chip on your shoulder, but that may be an issue you will encounter.

Mohawk and Poser made a great point that I ignorantly looked over.

Looking at the gyms programming is very important. There are gyms that think everyone should be working out like a games athlete, and then there are gyms who are afraid to write up a rope climb because most of their clients can't do one. You need to find a balance, somewhere that will push you to improve but also know when enough is enough.

I think it translates very well to the mountains but I also think it is very dependent on the programming. There is a gym/box close to me that pretty much does nothing but metcon (4-10 min workouts) and heavy lifting. I wouldn't like that and don't think I would get a lot out of it.

The gym I go to has a lot of variety in the programming. Look at the WOD thread if you want an idea, I post on it all the time.

Tell the gym owner what your goals are and then make him explain to you how his programming will be of benefit. You should be able to get an answer other than "Crossfit is awesome and works for everything."

A lot of the rest of it has been covered. Make sure they have a training program of some sort. You shouldn't expect to just show up and be able to take part. One caveat to this, a smaller gym in a small town that doesn't have a lot of turnover or new people may not have dedicated ramp up or boot camp type classes. There aren't enough new people coming in to make it worth their while. If that is the case then most everyone in the gym has been there a while and it will allow the coach to have some leeway in working one on one with you in a regular class setting.

If they have a website post it here. You can just look at the WOD history and see what the prevailing philosophy is in the gym.

I think you've received excellent advice so far. I'll only add that only posers low bar back squat. :)

Thanks for all the responses so far, really appreciate that.

Ill make sure to ask them how their programming will benefit me and my goals (as I dont want to spend more money than I already am on something that has no benefit).

Here is the Box I'm looking at:

http://www.crossfitkenmore.com/

And here are some of their WOD's (have to scroll down a tad to see previous ones, looks like to view the current WOD you have to have a username/password:

http://www.crossfitkenmore.com/wod

Hmm. I don't like the fact that they don't do include a strength program. It looks like it is all conditioning focused.

Well, some of the programming is pretty harsh compared to what I'm used to (volume) and I never like to see gen pop CF using pistols, and nobody doing sit-ups, but otherwise it looks OK to me.

They have a barbell club, which hopefully means that there is some competent weightlifting coaching. Some boxes really emphasize weightlifting, to others, it's just another movement.

What sort of exercises should I be looking for that would indicate a strength program? I recognized power clean and Turkish getup, the rest of the exercises I'm not sure what they are.

A lot of boxes will run a schedule like:

Warm up
Strength element: (squat, deadlift, press, clean, maybe snatch)
Metcon, aka WOD (DU's, burpees, pullups, box jumps, kb swings, etc.)
Cool down

There's a strength element independent of the main WOD. It's a pretty common structure.

If there's some part of the "language" you don't understand, don't hesitate to ask. It's all just shorthand for something you probably have already seen.

If they have a barbell club, they may be running their strength and Oly lifting separate from the main WODS. If that's the case, you could productively run cycles of each for different periods of time, if the barbell clubs meets enough to be its own entity. I have an Xfit box literally 2 blocks from my house, but I go to one a couple of miles away because it is a much better fit for me.

I personally would not choose this gym, my reasons are the following;
1) look at the coaches resumes, very little competition experience outside of crossfit. I personally would look for coaches that have either powerlifting or Olympic competition experience. In my opinion crossfit certifications are handed out rather than earned thru years and years of actually understanding the complex movements.
2) it does not appear they offer many specialty classes outside of the daily WODS. I personally would look for a box that at a minimum offer powerlifting and oly lifting based classes. Boxes that offer mobility and gymnastics is also a plus.

I am by no means an expert, but have seen some really good gyms , and also a slew of bad ones.

I personally would not choose this gym, my reasons are the following;
1) look at the coaches resumes, very little competition experience outside of crossfit. I personally would look for coaches that have either powerlifting or Olympic competition experience. In my opinion crossfit certifications are handed out rather than earned thru years and years of actually understanding the complex movements.
2) it does not appear they offer many specialty classes outside of the daily WODS. I personally would look for a box that at a minimum offer powerlifting and oly lifting based classes. Boxes that offer mobility and gymnastics is also a plus.

I am by no means an expert, but have seen some really good gyms , and also a slew of bad ones.

If you look at their schedule, they have Mobility and Weightlifting classes outside of daily WODs.

I suppose I would at least check it out for awhile. Most of these boxes offer 2-3 free classes. Take the intro classes at 2 or more boxes simultaneously and see where you fit in. You can also show up at some different class times and just watch and hang out. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. That'll give you a good idea of the community. As somebody mentioned above, many boxes are highly social communities. The one I go to had cookouts, swim parties, pub crawls, baby showers, burpee + bourbon drinking games etc. It can be a pretty tight nit group.

I actually like their programming. It seems pretty varied with a lean toward endurance. As for the coach, may be good may not, that is just something you kind of have to decide for yourself.

I differ with a lot of guys on here, in that for hunting, I think raw strength training is the least important thing that you can do. Strength is not a bad thing, neither is getting/being stronger. It isn't a real big requirement for hunting.

All you need to train for the mountains is a backpack and 50lbs. I actually like lifting weights. I don't do any lifting outside of the Crossfit gym. I don't feel that I need to nor do I feel it would benefit me in any way.

Hello All,

I've had a gym membership at a standard gym for a few years. I've typically gone 3 or more days a week following a modified Starting Strength routine. I have found that for me, it does not translate as well as I'd like to the mountains.

I see a lot of folks on here are members of Crossfit gyms. Have you found that Crossfit translates well to the mountains? If so, what should I be looking for in a Crossfit gym, and what questions should I be asking before I signup?

Thank you,

When I first thought about starting Crossfit here is the response I got from the local gym owner
Hi Keith,

I would love for you to stop by and check out the gym and get some more information as to what we do and how we run classes, etc. Honestly, a good time to come in is based on what time is convenient for you, depending on what you had in mind. If you wanted to drop in and try out a class we offer classes at 6am, 9am, Noon, 4pm, 5pm, and 6pm during the week, of which you can come to any. If you just want to see the gym and get the layout and ask any more questions, the best times would be before or after any of the classes or during our Open Gym time (7-9pm during the week). Just let me know what time works best for you and I will be happy to show you around. Feel free to email me back at [email protected] or I can be reached via phone at x I look forward to meeting you.

That was what I was looking for. Go in, get a feel for the place, see who works out there.

I differ with a lot of guys on here, in that for hunting, I think raw strength training is the least important thing that you can do. Strength is not a bad thing, neither is getting/being stronger. It isn't a real big requirement for hunting.

I completely agree with this statement. Strength is rarely a limiting factor, though people misuse the terms "strength" or "strong" quite often which confuses the issue significantly. I am a weightlifter because I like weightlifting. I believe it is actually detrimental to my hunting/mountain fitness.

I completely agree with this statement. Strength is rarely a limiting factor, though people misuse the terms "strength" or "strong" quite often which confuses the issue significantly. I am a weightlifter because I like weightlifting. I believe it is actually detrimental to my hunting/mountain fitness.

For me personally I would have to agree as well, I enjoy weightlifting but I don't see it translate to the mountain as much as I'd like. My stamina by day 3 is usually toast.

I've setup a meeting with this Crossfit owner to meet in person, he says he has a few hunters in his gym. I think after meeting him i will observe a few sessions and get a feel for the community. Appreciate everyone's insight and advice so far.

Back