Thoughts on Athlon Talos Spotting Scope. 20-60x80.

rino2098

FNG
As this year will be my first ever trip at a western state for hunting other then whitetail. I'm keeping it simple and going to SD with a archery deer tag hoping for a mule deer. I have slowly gotten gear over the last year or so. I currently have a older model of Leupold Cascade 8x42 bios that are great and stood the test of time going on 15 years. I'm wanting to look into a Spotting scope but at this time not wanting to spend a lot of money. Looking at a cheaper scope that will do the job and maybe couple years could look at upgrading and pass this to my wife who loves bird watching or just use for a beater range spotter. Athlon over the years has been talked fairly highly with budget long range rifle builds and I see they have a really price friendly spotter with the entry model Talos. It's a 20-60x80 only weighting about 33ozs. I honestly would be fine with a 65mm but they only offer this one. Has anyone out there got first hand experience with this scope? I mean for $150 I really don't think I can go wrong. Thanks everyone.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
I’ve got one, it’s worth $150. Call Doug.
I felt it couldn't be terrible Athlon has a very good name for their stuff at their price point. Thank u. $700-900 just isn't in the budget for the SX-4 Leupold I want. Now to get a ok tripod to set it on

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Get the Ares. You don’t want something you’ll have to sell next year to upgrade.
Just don't have the 600$ for glass this year. Bought a revolt to upgrade my 25 year old bear bow and that thing has eaten more of my budget then I thought it would. I know if next year I feel I want better glass then I can give the Talos to the wife for her bird watching LoL.

Just don't have the 600$ for glass this year. Bought a revolt to upgrade my 25 year old bear bow and that thing has eaten more of my budget then I thought it would. I know if next year I feel I want better glass then I can give the Talos to the wife for her bird watching LoL.

I’ve been there. The low end glass isn’t high on resale value or performance. That said, I haven’t tried the Athlon Talos and they normally make great products so maybe they break the norm. You could rent from Optics4Rent and if you split with another guy you’ll probably save money over creeping up in glass quality. The Ares is plenty for long term success IMO.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
I’ve been there. The low end glass isn’t high on resale value or performance. That said, I haven’t tried the Athlon Talos and they normally make great products so maybe they break the norm. You could rent from Optics4Rent and if you split with another guy you’ll probably save money over creeping up in glass quality. The Ares is plenty for long term success IMO.
Yeah I'm running solo. I also like long range shooting so I figured. If worst thing Ill use it for that. They have a life time warranty so I don't have to worry about it breaking and having to throw it out. That with a phonescope mount allowing the wife to use it on the porch for her bird stuff I might get bonus points for upgrade approval next year. LoL. I looked at the Argos. But it's double the money and about double the weight.

16Bore

WKR
Use the Athlon until it fails to serve your purpose, then you’ll know what you “need”.

That philosophy works with a lot of shit.

Decent tripod help with the wiggles. It’s comes with a cheap table too that works just fine from a shooting bench. Or kitchen table. Or the hood of your truck.

E466F70D-EA58-4695-876A-75B13FD5357D.jpeg

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
So I ordered one this weekend along with a slik Sprint mini III with a ball head. Total I think I have about $275 in everything so im happy in that right now.

OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Got home this week from working out of town and my spotting scope and tri pod had arrived. I just went ahead and got to Athlon Talos. Now I don't have anything to compare the items to since this is my first spotter and tri pod over $20. But what I have in this set up Vaule wise I'm really really happy. I have total of $249 in scope and tripod. I went with a Slik Sprint mini III with a ball head. This trip pod isn't but 48" maxed out I believe but since I felt I would be sitting 99% of the time while using it the taking larger ones didn't seem worth it. This tripod is small enough to pack in the scopes bag with no problem cause when collapse down it is no longer than the scope itself. I haven't gotten a phoneskope attachment for it and my phone yet but that's to come. I was able to get a photo with my phone for an example of how it looks thou. I was checking on something's the family farm where I was able to set up in the back of the truck and look at some distances around 800-1000 yards. Not sure the exact number as I had no range finder with me. But here are a few different photos with my phone alone and one with holding the camera above the eye piece on the scope.

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_194611811~2.jpg
    IMG_20200614_194611811~2.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20200614_194627827_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20200614_194627827_HDR~3.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20200614_194331787_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200614_194331787_HDR.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200614_194619783_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20200614_194619783_HDR~2.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 118
OP
R

rino2098

FNG
Where are you headed in SD?
I was given a tip that Butte county was a good place to try. But I honestly really have no clue. Just trying to find some big areas of BLM and walk in areas that gives me a chance. Looking to hopefully get a chance at a muley. Heck in still getting my bow set up and dialed in so I'm comfortable at 60-70 yards for that just in case.

dcreiss

FNG
I was given a tip that Butte county was a good place to try. But I honestly really have no clue. Just trying to find some big areas of BLM and walk in areas that gives me a chance. Looking to hopefully get a chance at a muley. Heck in still getting my bow set up and dialed in so I'm comfortable at 60-70 yards for that just in case.
I would agree with that tip, alot of open ground to hunt up that direction and alot of antelope opportunity too. I would suggest having an antelope archery tag in your pocket as well.