Thoughts on KUIU Waders?

ncstewart

WKR
This going south fast fellas! So to each their own and buy what gear works for you. I’m a good ol’ boy though so let’s not go there cuz. Good luck this year to all the wing shooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Since we’re already off track I’ll go on record and say that the original cabelas northern flight breathables (before 1000$ waders were a thing) were the best value in waterfowl history. They were like $180 and I would easily get 3 years a hard use out of them. Wish I would have bought 5-6 sets of them! I’d have never needed to buy waders again lol.

cjones37

FNG
Have had good luck with High N Dry waders the past few years. Saw they recently released front zippered for around $550.

SloppyJ

WKR
Gonna have to be some major developments in the wader game for me to ditch my Frog Togg refuge 2.0 breathables. That's the best money I've spent in a LONG time. I don't associate KUIU with duck hunting and that would keep me from buying them that and I'm sure they're way more expensive than my trusty refuges.

VIII

FNG
I’m a couple weeks late to the conversation but jumping in anyway. I hunt waterfowl and have learned that most folks in this game are just as fanatical about hunting sucks and geese as those of you that chase mule deer and elk. Social media tells me that most of you folks buy into the technical gear offered by the (I agree with you) marketing wizards at the high end camo companies like Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite, Kryptek, etc. But then I’m sure you have hunters out there in a hoodie, jeans and insulated lineman boots. Likewise for duck hunting. Some folks will buy the cheapest neoprene waders they can find and patch then for several years until they finally break down and spend another $99 at Rogers. All the while being either too hot or too cold in a set of highly uncomfortable waders. To the dude that said you’d happily pay for the comfort of your Sitka wader again, I’m with you. In three years I’ve purchased three different sets of waders in search of something sub $500 that fits my athletic type body that’s comfortable, cool in the early season, and warm at the end of January. It doesn’t exist. So this year I’ve eyeing Simms waders since fishing waders tend to fit better.

On top of that, I also try and find a single camo pattern that I can wear in most, if not all, hunting locations that I frequent. My pursuit is typically duck, whitetail and squirrel. I’m outfitted in Kryptek highlander now and it’s done me well with the exception of waders. Now that Kuiu is offering wader that appear to fit non-fatass hunters in a camo pattern that will work just as good in a late season eastern hard wood forest as it will in tall grass and cattails, I’m going to make the investment. I’ll post a review when I get around to making the purchase.

Speaking of, anyone interested in a pile of Kryptek!?

Sunset606

FNG
Did anyone wear Gator Insulated waders this past season? Just curious how they hold up. From just a look, they look like an identical build as Banded 2.0 waders, which most have us know have been horrible for leaking.

TSAMP

WKR
Kuiu and Sitka aren't highly technical design firms, they are marketing machines.
Meh. I watched a pretty edgy video with symphonic background music tell me if the fabric does exist, Sitka will create it.

I think both statements can be true.

I wonder if the folks who can't fathom the 900 dollar waders have 900 dollar backpacks.

Meh. I watched a pretty edgy video with symphonic background music tell me if the fabric does exist, Sitka will create it.

I think both statements can be true.

I wonder if the folks who can't fathom the 900 dollar waders have 900 dollar backpacks.

Sitka (and others) may spell out design and technical requirements to fabric manufacturers, but it’s the fabric manufacturers doing the creating.

Most of the time Sitka (and others) take an existing fabric or material and make it camo and call it a very expensive and innovative garment.