Thoughts on my sleep system

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would make a post and get opinions because I'm questioning my sleep system for this year..

Going to be doing 2nd season rifle muley in north central ish CO. The main reason I'm questioning is because how unpredictable the weather is and what elevation you might be hunting. I'll be using a tut for a shelter and currently have a thermarest xlite for a pad. Was looking at a 10 degree HG quilt. I'd say I dont sleep hot or cold but average.

Thoughts? Only done archery elk hunting in CO

2nd season you’re likely to see some cold temps. I’ve hunted 2nd season plenty, I’m thinking off the top of my head but usually around 9-10k feet depending on weather and snow. I personally would be packing a zero degree bag (I am not a quilt guy...), if it’s a really high quality bag like a western mountaineering, you might be ok with a 10-15 degree bag, but no less than that...and an xtherm pad or similar pad, especially with your choice of quilt, your pad will be essential.

Will you be running a stove in your tut?

OP
W

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
2nd season you’re likely to see some cold temps. I’ve hunted 2nd season plenty, I’m thinking off the top of my head but usually around 9-10k feet depending on weather and snow. I personally would be packing a zero degree bag (I am not a quilt guy...), if it’s a really high quality bag like a western mountaineering, you might be ok with a 10-15 degree bag, but no less than that...and an xtherm pad or similar pad, especially with your choice of quilt, your pad will be essential.

Will you be running a stove in your tut?
No stove in the tut. was really wanting to go quilt but might be better to play it safe and go with a bag?

No stove in the tut. was really wanting to go quilt but might be better to play it safe and go with a bag?

I would not choose 2nd rifle in Colorado to test wether a quilt works. I can only go off my experience and a bag for me is light years warmer.

I also agree with the post above about a zero degree bag and stove. I do have both a zero bag and a stove and I would probably bring both.

If you’re looking for a great 0 degree bag, the western mountaineering Kodiak is a great choice.

OP
W

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I would not choose 2nd rifle in Colorado to test wether a quilt works. I can only go off my experience and a bag for me is light years warmer.

I also agree with the post above about a zero degree bag and stove. I do have both a zero bag and a stove and I would probably bring both.

If you’re looking for a great 0 degree bag, the western mountaineering Kodiak is a great choice.
I'll probably snag a stove and learn towards something about half the price of the WM bags so I don't spend myself out of being able to hunt haha

I'll probably snag a stove and learn towards something about half the price of the WM bags so I don't spend myself out of being able to hunt haha
Don't count on a stove to keep you warm. Use it to dry and/or thaw out. Your pad is essential, it will make or break your bag/quilt. I get cold with my xlite and a 20 degree bag in 30 degree temps. IMO you want something with an R value closer to 10, especially if you're using a quilt. I have an xped 10lxw (not for packing) and it does well into the single digits.

OP
W

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Don't count on a stove to keep you warm. Use it to dry and/or thaw out. Your pad is essential, it will make or break your bag/quilt. I get cold with my xlite and a 20 degree bag in 30 degree temps. IMO you want something with an R value closer to 10, especially if you're using a quilt. I have an xped 10lxw (not for packing) and it does well into the single digits.
Thinking about staying with a bag and going 0 degree and saving the quilt idea for summer scouting/early season

Thinking about staying with a bag and going 0 degree and saving the quilt idea for summer scouting/early season
Good call on the zero degree bag. I have a 3 degree Hyperlamina that I use and it's warm for me down to about 16F. The pad still makes a huge difference though. I'm seriously considering getting a Nemo Alpine. Watched a review/test video on it and it's pretty amazing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The new pad from Klymit is an R 6.5 and 27" wide. I wish Nemo would make their hunting oriented pads in something besides that 20" width. Nothing like having your arms hang off the pad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
2 years ago, 1st rifle season outside of Rifle @7000ft we had overnight lows in the teens, woke up to frozen water bottles in the wall tent. In my opinion you can’t be too warm.

mt100gr.

WKR
If you have puffy clothes to supplement with, you may find you need less. I have used my 20 degree quilt down to zero degrees comfortably with puffy jacket, pants, and booties. I also sleep in an ultralight bivy. I figure I am already packing this stuff for glassing and around camp so might as well make it pull double duty. I've slept well on my xtherm pad with the above mentioned.

These were not surprise weather swings, either. I have tested my camp in the yard in the winter and I am more than comfortable packing my 20 degree quilt when forecasts call for low single digits.

OP
W

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
If you have puffy clothes to supplement with, you may find you need less. I have used my 20 degree quilt down to zero degrees comfortably with puffy jacket, pants, and booties. I also sleep in an ultralight bivy. I figure I am already packing this stuff for glassing and around camp so might as well make it pull double duty. I've slept well on my xtherm pad with the above mentioned.

These were not surprise weather swings, either. I have tested my camp in the yard in the winter and I am more than comfortable packing my 20 degree quilt when forecasts call for low single digits.
I've got the uncompahgre puffy pants and jacket, maybe I'll see how that affects things in the yard this spring before it warms up

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Layering!
We layer our clothes, but for some reason people have a block about layering sleeping systems. Pulling double duty with your puffy jacket and maybe some insulating pants will boost your quilt/bag performance a lot. Not everyone finds that comfortable though, so you may want to try that out closer to home first.

I would say you should add a closed cell foam pad to go with your inflatable. The Thermarest Xlite is a fantastic all around pad, but you'll want more than a 3.2R value. R value is cumulative, so a CCF thermarest pad will get you up to a 5.5, and you'll be glad you have it. If you don't want to carry two pads then you'll need a new inflatable, such as the Thermarest XTherm or maybe that new Klymit pad.

After last fall though, I'm of the 2 pad school (CCF + an Insulated inflatable pad). My Klymit Insulated Static V Lite valve failed our first night. It was in the 20's and I ended up on the ground and absolutely froze. I'm lucky it wasn't colder. In any case, my brother in law had brought a Thermarest ZliteSol as a backup. I used it for the next 5 nights and we finished our hunt. By itself, the CCF pad wasn't ideal, but I could sleep comfortably, and if the SHTF and the temps really dropped, I could have added some pine bows underneath the CCF pad for additional insulation without damaging the pad.

The new pad from Klymit is an R 6.5 and 27" wide. I wish Nemo would make their hunting oriented pads in something besides that 20" width. Nothing like having your arms hang off the pad.

Nemo Tensor Alpine LW is a little smaller at 76Lx25W but it's also about 8oz lighter weight than the Klymit.

I've got the uncompahgre puffy pants and jacket, maybe I'll see how that affects things in the yard this spring before it warms up
I've done that a lot. My biggest hurdle is that I can't keep other things warm in the bag with me. If you're used to being able to dry and/or keep warm socks, fuel canisters, batteries, etc., it doesn't work as well if you're insulated inside your bag. One thing I always take are my Rab Hotsocks. My feet get cold and they help a ton.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nemo Tensor Alpine LW is a little smaller at 76Lx25W but it's also about 8oz lighter weight than the Klymit.
I'll wait til next year on the Nemo pads when they are forced to post R values. As of right now it's a crap shoot with their self proclaimed numbers. Who knows if their temp ratings are lower limit numbers? Comfort numbers? There's no standardization rolling out til 2020. I like a lot of their gear, but I'll wait on their pads. Xtherm is still the lightweight, proven, warm pad in that weight range.

Cbaumhoer

FNG
In the past we have put some Tyvek (house wrap) down and then our pads. Tyvek can be loud. Does anyone else have any material they put on the ground inside there tipi?

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
In the past we have put some Tyvek (house wrap) down and then our pads. Tyvek can be loud. Does anyone else have any material they put on the ground inside there tipi?

I Use Tyvek in my sawtooth. I did run it through the washer with an old shoe, definitely helped “soften” it so it is t as loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk