Thread/needle combo for 500D? Plus a few queries.

Dinger

WKR
I have a few DIY projects I’m crafting a materials list for, namely a bunch of pull outs, CF Emergency Tarp and some wings to retro fit to my Highcamp 4800 bag, ala-Fulcrum style.

I have a great sewing mentor to lean on when I screw something up, I just need to grab the right gear as DIY backpacking equipment is not her area of expertise and she does not have an inventory for it.

My head is swimming with matching the correct thread & needle to each fabric.

Mainly through RS searches I have arrived at:

Pullouts & any other Silnylon work – Mara 70 with a 90/14 (Thankyou colonel00)

CF – Tape primarily (CF to CF) with same thread/needle as Silnylon where needed to add webbing etc.

500D and webbing – Just confused:confused:

I have seen recommendations for just using Nylon as it is the 'gold standard' and also just using poly as it swells when wet. #69 in Nylon seems to be the size, but I am not sure how I match a needle to it.

What’s the most reasonable (workability, performance without overkill) thread/needle recipe for 500D work on larges pouches.

Bonus question 1: I’m chasing a name or source for a synthetic stretchy mesh material that can be used as a rear pouch on the wings. I’ll be trolling through the local fabric store to locate something, but a fit for purpose product would be preferable.

Bonus question 2: Zipper size for the wing bags (full centre zip)…I was thinking something like a #10 YKK coil?

Have I missed a guide on here that covers which thread & needle works best for DIY fabrics/materials?

Many thanks,

Dinger

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
You'll want the biggest needle you can find for your machine...probably an 18. I'd pick a denim needle, and buy plenty. Change them often. Make sure to use bonded nylon thread.

For the mesh, try Rockywoods.

A #10 zipper is really big, the biggest I would ever use. A #8 would probably do anything you need it to do, but a #10 will certainly not fail.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bonded nylon T70 / #69 with a #18 needle works well if you can develop enough thread tension on your machine.

#8 zippers are quite stout for pockets, can use a #10 on a main bag body if wanting ultimate durability.