Thumb release

Hi all. Lately I've been thinking it making the switch to a thumb release. I shot a couple different releases at our local pro shop and really loved the feel of them. My question is, what are your thoughts and experiences using them for hunting? I am not a target archer, I practice frequently at home and I hunt both elk and mule deer here in idaho. My biggest concern is just loosing it, I would probably still carry my old trusty trigger release in my pack but I don't want to loose a $300 release. Thoughts?

Once you start doing a bit of reading you'll find that a huge number of hunters are using thumb buttons, hinges, and even some resistance releases for hunting - all handheld.

I know some people who tend to lose them but I haven't been to unlucky to do it yet. I keep my release in the front pocket of my bino harness and then take it out and put it on a pocket on the last parts of a stalk until I get into range.

If you really want to hunt with a handheld release, you'll figure out how to go bush without losing it.

When it comes to thoughts specifically on what you should use for hunting, it should ultimately come down to using whatever you make the strongest shots with, and you feel the most confidence with.

Blackbird

FNG
I use a thumb. It came with a lanyard to keep it attached to your wrist. After a while I cut that off and keep it in my pocket same place every single time. I also carry a trigger in my pack, and honestly if I ever have to use it I’m probably screwed because I only ever shoot my thumb release. Should probably have a backup that is the same as the primary.

I switched to an ultraview button last year after 20 years of shooting with a wrist release, I love it. I can shoot much tighter groups after getting used to it. I keep mine in my bino harness at all times as I too was worried about losing it but haven't done so yet. I thought about buying a cheaper one first, but after doing all the research and Chris's bee videos I decided to spend the coin and I'm glad it did. I got the stainless steel to have the extra weight and I'm glad I did that too.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

I use a Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper. It's a pretty cheap thumb button, but it works and is consistent.

It's not what I use when shooting for score, but it's easy for me to go between.

You can shoot a wrist rocket as good as a thumb, hinge, or resistance. It's in how you shoot them. You should shoot everything with back tension.

And I hate the idea of shooting something off of feel. Shoot what works, to he'll with how it feels. You will get use to it and it will be second nature.

SloppyJ

WKR
I shoot a lot at home with a Stan thumb release. I got a big brass replacement button for it from some guy in MO. I really like it. I go back and forth between it and my wrist release but I shoot them about the same so I stick with the wrist release for hunting.

TheTone

WKR
Last year was my first year hunting with a thumb, Cart Wise Choice. I kept it in my front right pants pocket all season. I worried a bit about loss and check my pocket fairly often and kept a wrist release in my pack. A friend of mine has hunted with a resistance release for years. He seems to always carry it in a pants pocket or in a pocket on his bino harness

grainhog

FNG
I like being able to just shove it in my pocket. Can grab rangefinder, bugle tube etc without the release slapping into a bunch of plastic
This is a good point and something I just realized I don't miss about my wrist releases. Swinging chunk of metal clacking against stuff.

This thread also has many thoughts about this subject and may be a good read for more discussion.

Jrob

FNG
I use the Carter Wise Choice 3 finger and I absolutely love it. A lot of guys carry an extra release in their pack just in case.

It’s one of the most important pieces of gear you have in the field. Treat it that way and you will never lose it

flyboy214

FNG
I use a B3 ghost hinge in the color white because I'm afraid to misplace it in the field. I usually keep mine in the left breast pocket of my hunting shirt.

Use whatever release helps you control the shot process.

I use a thumb button primarily for a more consistent anchor, but I also dislike a release dangling from my wrist and banging into everything. Keep it in a consistent, secure place for most of your travels to avoid losing. I use the stretchy pocket on the side of my bino harness. Super secure and still easy to get to. I'm super paranoid about losing it, but it really hasn't been an issue for me so far. I do wish I'd gotten a brighter color though - easier to find if ever dropped.

I say give it a shot!

nphunter

WKR
I've been using a handheld for 8yrs now, I've never left it behind or wished I would have had a wrist strap. I hunt and hike a lot and get 1 or 2 shots each year, to me it doesn't make sense to have that thing strapped around my wrist for hundreds of hours to use it for 30 seconds.

You don't have a sweaty wrist, no taking it off to add or remove layers, no taking it off to take a dump, don't accidentally piss on it anymore, no more clanking on the bow, no more hanging up on brush, no more not being able to wear gloves properly, no more close calls in the truck when it catches on the steering wheel going from one place to the next, the list goes on and on. I will never use a wrist strap again, I've shot a lot of animals with a thumb button from as close as 13 yards and have never felt as if it took too long to grab out of my pocket and use, I can even clip it to the loop and range while a bull is coming in or I'm waiting for a buck to stand.

kcm2

WKR
I tried a Carter 1st Choice and much prefer my Spot Hogg Keeton. The 1st Choice is for sale if you are interested in trying one out.