Thunderbeast Magnus??

Geewhiz

WKR
They claim it's the quietest 30 cal can they have ever metered with any caliber.

Looks impressive! Thoughts??

Agree it’s heavy. For hunting, I think the dominus would be the ticket.

Have a gen 1 ultra 9 and sometimes wish I had the 7. But not often.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I guess Im just impressed at the ammount of suppression they are getting out of it. I would have to watch the video again but I recall Ray mentioning suppressed 22lr levels out of centerfire cartridges.

I guess Im just impressed at the ammount of suppression they are getting out of it. I would have to watch the video again but I recall Ray mentioning suppressed 22lr levels out of centerfire cartridges.
Oh no doubt. It was sub 115 at the shooters ear with 6.5 creedmoor. Wild.

Lawnboi

WKR
I want a 6.5 aperture one for no hearing pro prairie dog shooting and match use.

I agree though, 1.8” diameter 9” long cans are not what I’d want to be carrying for big game hunting.

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone order one of these?

I just ordered one from thunder beast. Need another CB can, because I’m paranoid and like a little redundancy. Was going to get an ultra 5, then maybe another ultra 7, then was thinking the 9, but ended up just ordering a magnus. Figured my 7 won’t be coming off my hunting rifles.

I told myself not to get sucked into sound but the numbers they are putting out on this can forced my hand.

My next can will be an ultra 5 though.

Anyone order one of these?

I just ordered one from thunder beast. Need another CB can, because I’m paranoid and like a little redundancy. Was going to get an ultra 5, then maybe another ultra 7, then was thinking the 9, but ended up just ordering a magnus. Figured my 7 won’t be coming off my hunting rifles.

I told myself not to get sucked into sound but the numbers they are putting out on this can forced my hand.

My next can will be an ultra 5 though.
Yea I want a magus too. Impressive numbers

Sadler

WKR
If you have a 16-18” barrel I don’t think you’ll find the longer cans to cumbersome. My 16” PRC has an ultra 9 on it and it’s not bad at all, even in brush country. I wouldn’t put it on anything more than that though. I once had an ultra 7 on a 26” barrel. Never again.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you have a 16-18” barrel I don’t think you’ll find the longer cans to cumbersome. My 16” PRC has an ultra 9 on it and it’s not bad at all, even in brush country. I wouldn’t put it on anything more than that though. I once had an ultra 7 on a 26” barrel. Never again.
I’m curious what I’ll think after I get to play with it. I have dreams of a 16” 22 creedmoor for deer and predators, and I’m going to give it a good go for match use but I still think it’s going to be a monster on my current 20” guns I use my ultra 7 on. Will probably end up a range toy, but who knows. It was the magnus or an ultra 9.

The more I shoot an ultra 7, the more I think that I’ll be buying another ultra 7 in the future.

Sadler

WKR
I’m curious what I’ll think after I get to play with it. I have dreams of a 16” 22 creedmoor for deer and predators, and I’m going to give it a good go for match use but I still think it’s going to be a monster on my current 20” guns I use my ultra 7 on. Will probably end up a range toy, but who knows. It was the magnus or an ultra 9.

The more I shoot an ultra 7, the more I think that I’ll be buying another ultra 7 in the future.
Yeah that’ll kinda suck on a 20” barrel but ya never really know until you try! Having one on a 16” 22 creed would be pretty awesome though. Fun to shoot for sure. Makes me want to build one.

I eventually want to get a magnus and cut my 300 WSM down to 16” but that’ll be next years project and I’m not really sure how slow it’ll be being that short shooting 215s but if it’ll kill at 600 I’ll do it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yeah that’ll kinda suck on a 20” barrel but ya never really know until you try! Having one on a 16” 22 creed would be pretty awesome though. Fun to shoot for sure. Makes me want to build one.

I eventually want to get a magnus and cut my 300 WSM down to 16” but that’ll be next years project and I’m not really sure how slow it’ll be being that short shooting 215s but if it’ll kill at 600 I’ll do it.
Minimums on the magnus barrel length really get the gears turning and partially why I bought it over the ultra 9.

Lawnboi

WKR
The dominus looks like the ticket to for a hunting gun. 18” 300 prc would be tits
Strange that the magnus and Dominus don’t share the same barrel restrictions like The ultras do. Dominus is something like 26” for the prc where the magnus is 14.5”

I couldn’t see buying a dominus over a gen 2 ultra 7. I like my ultra 7 so much that I’m going to be buying another in 6.5 aperture. The more cans I handle and hear the more I like the ultra 7

Looks pretty sweet, I'm curious how it stacks up against the Nomad LT?
I've shot ultra 7s and 9s and the 8.4" 12 oz LT smokes them both in recoil reduction and suppression.
I don't even need ear pro running it on an 18" 7wsm, or my 30 Nos for that matter.
Honestly I'd never buy a 1.5" can in 7 or 9" configuration again for any hunting scenario, that magnus or LT would be my choice

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks pretty sweet, I'm curious how it stacks up against the Nomad LT?
I've shot ultra 7s and 9s and the 8.4" 12 oz LT smokes them both in recoil reduction and suppression.
I don't even need ear pro running it on an 18" 7wsm, or my 30 Nos for that matter.
Honestly I'd never buy a 1.5" can in 7 or 9" configuration again for any hunting scenario, that magnus or LT would be my choice
Thunder beast had a video comparing a bunch of big 30 cal cans. According to them the LT was the quietest 30 cal can they metered until the magnus.

I’m invested in TBAC muzzle devices so I went with a magnus. Buddy has a nomad LT so hopefully I can shoot them next to each other.

This is my foray into the huge can market. Not sure if it will be used for hunting or not as I really prefer light and slim on the end of my hunting barrels. Current largest is 8x1.6”. I also don’t shoot anything that burns over 50 grains of powder

Tahoe1305

WKR
I haven’t shot it. But did see it in person in a local store. It is massive. Only thing close was the tbac 338.

I bet it’s quiet. I have no use for anything that big though. Still a cool can.

Over the years, one thing I have found is that not all suppressors sound the same to users and/or spectators. While the actual decibel numbers don't lie, there is still no "standard" for testing them. Pew Science does a pretty good job of standardizing their testing, but I still see some flaws from a repeatability standpoint.

Additionally, I have found that what is "awesome" for one shooter may not be for another. Tone plays a big factor into what each individual actually "hears". For example, I have about 45% high-frequency hearing loss in my left ear. Because of this, suppressors with a higher frequency tone tend to sound "deader" to my ear. Ti cans specifically sound really good to me. When my BIL shoots my rifles, he states that my cans "ping" (his words). I don't hear that, but he does. For him, my SS cans sound better, even though some have a lower db reduction.

I truly wish that we could get rid of the regulation on these so that it would be easier to "try before you buy". I would probably have a few less suppressors if we could. But then again, maybe not.

kpalu

FNG
Strange that the magnus and Dominus don’t share the same barrel restrictions like The ultras do. Dominus is something like 26” for the prc where the magnus is 14.5”

I couldn’t see buying a dominus over a gen 2 ultra 7. I like my ultra 7 so much that I’m going to be buying another in 6.5 aperture. The more cans I handle and hear the more I like the ultra 7

The Dominus was originally designed as a full auto 5.56 can. The 30 cal aperture helped with back pressure without giving up to much performance. You can watch the entire surge test on the product page. Anyway, because it was designed for full auto 5.56 first it was verified for magnum cartridges after the fact which is why it has different ratings than the Ultras and Magnus. The Magnus is closer to the 338 in design and strength because it was designed as a magnum can.

Originally when the Dominus came out it was quiter than our Ultra 7. But with the Gen 2 Ultras the Dominus and .30 Ultra 7 meter identical. The Gen 2 Ultra 7 is also lighter than the Dominus now and has shorter magnum barrel ratings. If you are considering a Dominus for hunting, take another look at the Gen 2 Ultra 7.