Tikka .243 AI

I’ve been kicking this around in my head as well. What is the likely velocity gained from having it Improved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no direct experience with the 243 AI but have been looking into it. Theoretically I think maybe a 10% increase as case capacity is about 10% greater in the AI. Again I have no experience yet with the AI. Looking at real numbers I am guessing it would be more like 100-150 fps, again a guess.

Hoping someone with real experience with both can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
From what I've read, if done correctly, it doesn't have to be set back.
Karl sets back; my understanding is that not setting back increases risk of case head separation if you don't get the bullet seated to jam and hold the case all the way back (or create a false shoulder by only sizing part of the neck). The neck/shoulder of a straight .243 crushes slightly upon chambering in a properly set back AI chamber and allows the expansion to happen at the shoulder rather than the case head.

sveltri

WKR
Karl sets back; my understanding is that not setting back increases risk of case head separation if you don't get the bullet seated to jam and hold the case all the way back (or create a false shoulder by only sizing part of the neck). The neck/shoulder of a straight .243 crushes slightly upon chambering in a properly set back AI chamber and allows the expansion to happen at the shoulder rather than the case head.
That’s exactly what my gunsmith said as well. You’re asking for real trouble if they don’t set the barrel back.

Axlrod

WKR
Yes. I have had them both ways. If you don't set it back you will seperate 20% of your cases fire forming.

mcr-85

WKR
The ackley case should be shorter than the parent cartridge. To do that it's gotta be set back

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Tom-D

FNG
Does anyone know if you get your standard 243 dies reamed out to match or do you need to find a set of AI dies?

sveltri

WKR
Does anyone know if you get your standard 243 dies reamed out to match or do you need to find a set of AI dies?
Not sure on machining a .243 die, I just bought a Redding FL sizing die. I only have 1 firing on my brass so far and I have a Lee collet die to resize the neck so I haven't the brass through the Redding die yet.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
You could, but it'd probably cost you more than new dies.

And yes per everyone above, the "proper" way to do an AI'd case is to set the shoulder back, but it isn't like you can't work around it if the barrel isn't set back. You'd just want to control headspace on the initial firing a different way, ie false shoulder or a solid bullet jamb.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
How close was my cost estimate?

Way off. It was only $390 including return shipping. 😂

I figure I saved probably $200 ($100 if you figure the take off barrel is worth $100) and two months or more vs getting the same thing from Preferred, ended up with a bit lighter barrel, and doubt that I gave up anything in terms of accuracy or barrel life.

Food for thought. If you're paying to cut & thread it (~$200) AND paying to have it rechambered (dunno cost on that off hand but sure ain't gonne be free to set back the barrel and ream it out, $200?) you're pretty deep into the cost of a prefit barrel and your 1:8 factory take off barrel would be desirable on the used market as well.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
Also, ups shows delivery at my house today, so hopefully I'll have some load development numbers soon.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Way off. It was only $390 including return shipping. 😂

I figure I saved probably $200 ($100 if you figure the take off barrel is worth $100) and two months or more vs getting the same thing from Preferred, ended up with a bit lighter barrel, and doubt that I gave up anything in terms of accuracy or barrel life.
Roger that, good to know real costs. Yeah the wait is real... my preferred 284win barrel is due soon.

Tom-D

FNG
You could, but it'd probably cost you more than new dies.

And yes per everyone above, the "proper" way to do an AI'd case is to set the shoulder back, but it isn't like you can't work around it if the barrel isn't set back. You'd just want to control headspace on the initial firing a different way, ie false shoulder or a solid bullet jamb.
Yeah just have a concern with availability here in australia on new set and a quick search online shows the roughly $470 ( roughly $310 US) so my initial thought was if may be cheaper to get the die i have altered