Tikka 6.5 Creed rechambered to PRC

but to add another good scope is $2500 bucks, and another chassis is $1500. So it adds up quick.

If the idea is swapping them back and forth, is a scope not easier to swap than a barrel? It would be if it doesn't need to be moved in the rings for the different platforms.

If the idea is swapping them back and forth, is a scope not easier to swap than a barrel? It would be if it doesn't need to be moved in the rings for the different platforms.
Sure it’s easier. But you will have to re-zero either way. But are both barreled actions in their own chassis? If yes, is the 5 minutes it saves you in time to only swap out the scope justify the 2k for the extra set up? If not, one will have to swap out the barrels action in the chassis and the scope. With 5 extra minutes, you can swap barrels and bolts on the same action and save a few hundred bucks.

Obviously I’m biased because I have all three bolts for my tikka. The benifits for me are I can have a high quality set up (top tier scope and chassis) for any caliber I want. When swapping between calibers I know the gun will fit the exact same. The whole process only takes a few minutes. I only shoot a few calibers and only swap them before or after hunting season.

Last edited:
My brother bought a stainless Veil Alpine 6.5 PRC a couple of years ago. For what it does using the 156 EOL he could get rid of both his 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag.

He won’t, of course, but the overlap is extreme.

P

Sure it’s easier. But you will have to re-zero either way. But are both barreled actions in their own chassis? If yes, is the 5 minutes it saves you in time to only swap out the scope justify the 2k for the extra set up? If not, one will have to swap out the barrels action in the chassis and the scope. With 5 extra minutes, you can swap barrels and bolts on the same action and save a few hundred bucks.

Obviously I’m biased because I have all three bolts for my tikka. The benifits for me are I can have a high quality set up (top tier scope and chassis) for any caliber I want. When swapping between calibers I know the gun will fit the exact same. The whole process only takes a few minutes. I only shoot a few calibers and only swap them before or after hunting season.
I’d argue it’s a lot easier to switch a stock and scope then it is to switch a barrel.

Stock and scope can be switched with a single small torque wrench.

Switching a barrel requires: barrel vise, something to prevent barrel from getting marred, action wrench, larger torque wrench, headspace gauge. Plus you have to take off most stocks anyway.

Either way you’re rezeroing.

I’d argue it’s a lot easier to switch a stock and scope then it is to switch a barrel.

Stock and scope can be switched with a single small torque wrench.

Switching a barrel requires: barrel vise, something to prevent barrel from getting marred, action wrench, larger torque wrench, headspace gauge. Plus you have to take off most stocks anyway.

Either way you’re rezeroing.
You are not wrong, it is easier to do it the way you describe. I wouldn’t say it’s “a lot” easier. Switching a barrel isn’t voodoo or rocket science. All the required tools are less than a couple hundred bucks, and now one can replace their own barrels when the others are shot. Heck, if a PRS shooter can do it…

And if someone is not shooting out barrels then they really don’t need more guns, they need more ammo.

The re-zeroing is the most expensive and time intensive part of the process. So if one still has to do that it really boils down to personal preference.

You are not wrong, it is easier to do it the way you describe. I wouldn’t say it’s “a lot” easier.
Objectively, it’s much less steps and less time. It takes me longer to get my barrel clamped into the vise than removing a scope in a set of rings does by quite a margin. And you can do it on the road, or at a buddy’s house, etc., all with a screwdriver.

And if someone is not shooting out barrels then they really don’t need more guns, they need more ammo.
Agreed. But even switching barrels because you shot them out is much less transitions than wanting a “multi-barrel Tikka.”

So if one still has to do that it really boils down to personal preference.
Agreed.

Back