Tikka Base Recoil Pin

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys - all over the place trying to get exactly what I want for mounting my NXS.

I bought a pair of NF rings and a NF standard duty base yesterday. The NF base does not have any recoil pin. I assume NF wouldn’t put anything out that won’t stand up to abuse but a few of the bases have the pin and it does bring some piece of mind. Should I get an Area419 or something like that or stick with the NF?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be perfectly honest with you, if you can get your $ back out of them, I would ditch both the base and rings and order a set of these to use:

I use those, Sportsmatch (harder to get), and Mountain Tactical Raptor mounts on my Tikkas (current 6 of them). But it will be UM rings for all future builds.

If you can't get your $ back, then just roll with NF base and rings.

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
To be perfectly honest with you, if you can get your $ back out of them, I would ditch both the base and rings and order a set of these to use:

I use those, Sportsmatch (harder to get), and Mountain Tactical Raptor mounts on my Tikkas (current 6 of them). But it will be UM rings for all future builds.

Thanks. I have some of those on order too. As I said, I’m all over the place. I’m going to give them a shot when they get here, but due to the short length on my NXS I think they are going to be over the ejection port for proper eye relief. Which I’m not crazy about. So I’m trying to get some options together to try out and send back what I don’t want.

sdupontjr

WKR
As mentioned UM rings.
20231102_135101.jpg20231102_135137.jpg

I also use a mountain tactical rail that has the recoil pin in it for my other Tikka.
20211117_172211.jpg20211117_172214.jpg20211117_172239.jpg20211117_172325.jpg

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
What caliber???
My 338 mag and 300wsm tikkas have recoil lugs on rails for peace of mind. 308 and below not to worried.
Murphy precision, Area419, and mountain tactical all utilize recoil lugs.

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
What caliber???
My 338 mag and 300wsm tikkas have recoil lugs on rails for peace of mind. 308 and below not to worried.
Murphy precision, Area419, and mountain tactical all utilize recoil lugs.

7 PRC

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hey Guys - all over the place trying to get exactly what I want for mounting my NXS.

I bought a pair of NF rings and a NF standard duty base yesterday. The NF base does not have any recoil pin. I assume NF wouldn’t put anything out that won’t stand up to abuse but a few of the bases have the pin and it does bring some piece of mind. Should I get an Area419 or something like that or stick with the NF?

Thanks for the thoughts.

The UM Tikka rings are the way.

If you are going to use a rail, @Salmon River Solutions is making a very low profile 20moa rail with pin.

This was the prototype-

IMG_5151.jpeg

It’s the rail to use.

Thanks. I have some of those on order too. As I said, I’m all over the place. I’m going to give them a shot when they get here, but due to the short length on my NXS I think they are going to be over the ejection port for proper eye relief. Which I’m not crazy about. So I’m trying to get some options together to try out and send back what I don’t want.

You should watch the YouTube video that UM put out for mounting a scope with their rings… he’s mounting an NX8 which also has a very short mounting surface

I just mounted a NXS 2.5-10 with their rings a couple weeks ago and have no issues with ejection, but their video will give you a good visual comparison with what you’re doing

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
You should watch the YouTube video that UM put out for mounting a scope with their rings… he’s mounting an NX8 which also has a very short mounting surface

I just mounted a NXS 2.5-10 with their rings a couple weeks ago and have no issues with ejection, but their video will give you a good visual comparison with what you’re doing
Thanks. I've seen it, also seen a few pictures on the big UM thread like below. I'm sure it will work fine...will see once they get here. I like the idea of them and have seen all the rave reviews, but I also like the idea of getting a pic base on there and having all kinds of flexibility. As I said, I'm all over the place! I'm building my 'dream' rifle and trying to get it just how I want it.

1703354775348.png
1703354807445.png

sdupontjr

WKR
Thanks. How important is the recoil pin in your opinion?

Depends on what you want.

I used a browning Abolt II medallion 7mag for about 30 years with just simple dove tail mounts held with 4 screws and not one time did I have an issue. Being it was offered for the tikka, I picked up the rail and set my 308 up for low light with the Polar.

Since buying the CTR, I pulled the rail and tried the UM rings. The clamping force is legit with these. They having larger screws than the sportsmatch thus you can apply more clamping force to the tikka rail. So really both work well. I'm just not a fan of the ring of the UM or sportsmatch falling in the action port. It's simply a look for me.

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what you want.

I used a browning Abolt II medallion 7mag for about 30 years with just simple dove tail mounts held with 4 screws and not one time did I have an issue. Being it was offered for the tikka, I picked up the rail and set my 308 up for low light with the Polar.

Since buying the CTR, I pulled the rail and tried the UM rings. The clamping force is legit with these. They having larger screws than the sportsmatch thus you can apply more clamping force to the tikka rail. So really both work well. I'm just not a fan of the ring of the UM or sportsmatch falling in the action port. It's simply a look for me.

I agree with this. I’m sure it’s functional, but something just doesn’t feel or look right about it to me…

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
The UM Tikka rings are the way.

If you are going to use a rail, @Salmon River Solutions is making a very low profile 20moa rail with pin.

This was the prototype-

View attachment 646112

It’s the rail to use.

Sorry, one more question for you. I value your opinion, if you were going to do a rail is a recoil pin a must have or will be fine without it?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sorry, one more question for you. I value your opinion, if you were going to do a rail is a recoil pin a must have or will be fine without it?

“Must” is relative. It’s really failure probability. Being that having a recoil pin costs nothing, and yet does increase durability, reliability, and stability- yes, to me it is a requirement.

Having said that, if adding can’t to the scope isn’t an absolute requirement, the UM rings are the best mounting system on the market for Tikkas. Adding a rail on top of a rail, and adding screws doesn’t increase reliability. It’s a Tikka- choosing a compromise in function for “looks” is not the way.