Tikka CTR Rail removal

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I suppose my hunting is completely different from yours. My stands are close to my house so weight is not a huge concern.

walexa07

FNG
Has anyone had any issues removing the rail that comes on the super varmint, as in any damage to the cerakote finish?

walexa07

FNG
Thanks Axlrod. So just heat for a while with heat gun then the rail will come off with the epoxy stuck to the rail and not the receiver?

@walexa07 when I removed one there was a lot of epoxy stuck to the receiver. I used a stove top cleaner to kind of buff it off, but even after some serious elbow grease there was still what I would describe as a stain on the receiver top.

If you want it to look 100% I’d probably leave your rail on. I wasn’t worried about the aesthetic, personally.

sdupontjr

WKR
Like I mentioned earlier in this post, acetone!!! Pull barreled action out of the stock. You can remove the bolt as well. Take a rag and soak it with acetone. Drape the rag over the action so that the acetone will sit on the epoxy a while. This allows it to somewhat soak in. I then took a flat razor and ran it on top the flat area of the action to remove the loosened epoxy. Repeat and repeat. When it gets down to hardly nothing, the flat razor will remove about 90 - 95% of it with no issues to the action. The remaining little bit, use the soaked rag and elbow grease. My CTR action looks exactly like my T3 Lite action.

Axlrod

WKR
Thanks Axlrod. So just heat for a while with heat gun then the rail will come off with the epoxy stuck to the rail and not the receiver?
It will be on both and all the screws/pins. I clamped the rail in a padded vice, then put an internal action wrench in the receiver. After heating, I grabbed the barrel and the action wrench and pulled it off.

sveltri

WKR
I get my Super Varmint tomorrow, based on what you guys went through to remove the rail I have zero concern about it coming loose on a .223.