Tikka LA conversion to SA

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever done it? I'm experiencing an internal dilemma and am seeking some input. I have a tikka in 300wm and a defiance hunting rig in 7mag and I am probably moving my hunting rig to a 300wm and would like to change barrels on my 300wm Tikka target rifle to a round that can more fully utilize the LA aics magazine, or just go for broke and jump down to a SA if possible.

I have a 26" proof on my hunting rig I wish I could donate to the tikka but it's coming off a defiance action and the threads are wrong, don't believe that can be remedied. I assume I could still rebarrel my tikka into a 7 mag and with a 3.6" internal box be able to fully utilize that cartridge. I haven't heard of many 7 mags loaded past that length anyway (plenty of 300wm though) but I just don't know if I want a 7 mag for a long range steel gun when there are plenty of other cartridges that are either more capable (28/30 nosler/338 flavors) or just more cost efficient (name your 264/243 flavor). Am I missing any other magnum bolt face cartridges that outperform the 7mag that won't require seating past 3.6"?

Otherwise, I was contemplating converting the Tikka's bolt and action to utilize a SA cartridge. Just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar or successfully done this. I shouldn't have bought a Tikka in 300wm in the first place but I tend to go full retard sometimes.

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_1615.JPG

mort9687

FNG
I haven't done that conversion, but all you would need is a new SA bolt stop and SA mags. Or the wsm mags that hells canyon armory makes.

AKG

FNG
I have Tikka t3 which was a 7RM, I have a Bell and Carlson Sporter stock on it and replaced the barrel with a 22" Proof prefit in 6.5 prc. I wallowed out quite a bit of stock to fit the barrel ( more than I like) but so far it is shooting pretty well with no other mods, no problems feeding with the stock Tikka magazine. Only about 15 rounds down the barrel with several cleanings for break in. Tried a x-caliber prefit in the same caliber first but it wouldn't chamber a round (bullets jammed into throat with headspace set correctly - x-caliber said gunsmith needed to throat the barrel for the factory Hornady ammunition and that I was on my own for that). The two left shots were the first two after cleaning, five shots at 125 yds.

Attachments

• KIMG1050.JPG
    KIMG1050.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 29
  • KIMG0989~2.JPG
    KIMG0989~2.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Is it problematic to use a 6.5 prc round in an aics mag designed for 300wm? As in having all the excess space? I've heard of recoil causing rounds to slide and smash the bullet tips

Last edited:

AKG

FNG
Found I had some stock grinding dust that prevented the action from fully seating on the B&C stocks recoil lug. Took five shots - 1st was the top right, adjusted scope shot 4 more. Next 3 in the same hole, 5th was the bottom right. That's all I had time for after the stock/action correction will see if accuracy stays that way now. 100 yards factory Hornady 147 eldm, 6.5 prc, proof prefit on Tikka t3 using the factory mag that came with the rifle as a 7rm. Still no problems with cycling in this configuration.KIMG1082.JPG