Tikka pre-fit Proof...benefit?

Vandy321

WKR
I've had 2 proof bbls on custom rifles, never a Tikka..quality is there, accuracy is there, I won't argue that.

If my bbl was shot out, it would be a no-brainer for me to spin on a proof pre-fit, but it's not.

Is there a benefit I'm not seeing to going to a proof now vs shooting out the factory first. Rifle is currently 1/2 moa with factory and it won't save me any weight.

If you want to shoot and stabilize heavy bullets you can get a much better twist rate and tighter barrel, increasing muzzle velocity a bit

BAKPAKR

WKR
If you are shooting 1/2 MOA with factory ammo, you should sell that Tikka to me (and at a significant discount due to its performance), and then build a rifle on a custom action with a Proof/Bartlein/Benchmark/etc CF barrel that, in all likelihood, will weigh more than the Tikka and not shoot any better.

Seriously, with your rifle, twist rate and muzzle diameter (more muzzle device options) are the only benefits I can think of with the Proof barrel. However, I would not mess with a rifle that shoots like yours.

Forest

WKR
I bought a tikka last year with the intentions of doing just that. However it shoots so good it's going to be hard to take it off. Twist rate and shorter barrel is all I would gain. The custom tikka thread sure makes it tempting tho there are some sweet rigs on there

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

General benefits of a proof pre-fit over factory tikka tube:
  1. Muzzle threads
  2. Better twist rate in some cases
  3. Probably higher velocity apples to apples with same ammo
  4. Likely a little better odds of accuracy but i'm sure there are plenty examples of a factory barrel being more accurate than a proof as well
If you want a brake or suppressor, you get 5/8 threads which are preferable to the smaller threads you'd need to use with a factory tikka sporter contour.

If you have a 7mm with 9.5 twist or 300 with 11 twist, you get faster twist rates for longer bullets. This doesn't matter if your bullet of choice is already stabilized well with factory twist rates.

Tikka barrels are typically "slow" but it seems they just don't build pressure as fast and hand loaders can overcome that by just adding a bit more powder.

In regards to accuracy, if it shoots well I wouldn't assume that a proof barrel is going to shoot any better and there is a possibility it could actually be worse.

You also likely need a new stock or need to modify your factory stock to accommodate a carbon which is a negative.

Antares

WKR
Well if no one else is going to say it, I will...carbon PROOF barrels look dope.

You’re probably not going to improve on 1/2 MOA accuracy though.

What @wind gypsy said, with the addition of using a cartridge that isn't isn't available from the factory. I'd like a Tikka in 280AI, a pre fit is a quick way to get there.