Tikka superlite fluting length !!!!!!

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
I’m wanting to grab a tikka superlite 7-08 from sportsman’s warehouse. I’m curious if anyone had a superlite with the 22 inch barrel and could tell me how long to the end of the fluting? I’m wanting to chop the barrel down and curious how much I can take off.

Sportsman’s was no help as they didn’t have one in stock to measure.

lintond

WKR
[mention]Pharmseller [/mention] is the king of tikka & 7-08…maybe he has the rifle you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
It won't be a direct thread if you cut into the flutes. You're essentially running a permanent adapter to up size the threads to something usable. I'm told people haven't had issues with it but I haven't tried it yet myself.

Wapiti1

WKR
Would you then be able to thread after? I was told no
The flutes don't prevent anything as far as shortening and threading for a brake or suppressor. The barrel diameter at the point you want it threaded will dictate what threads are appropriate, that and the flute depth. You thread to an appropriate diameter that is smaller than the bottom of the flute.

Then you will likely need an adapter to make the thread match your accessory. An adapter is not uncommon on the Tikka barrels, fluted or not. They are thin.

Some gunsmiths will pass on the job, or say it can't be done. It can, and has been done without any issues or danger. The barrel is only as strong as the thickness at the bottom of the flute anyway.

Jeremy

Here is a pic of a 223rem superlite a local gunsmith cut to 16 inches earlier this week. Threaded 1/2x28 with a 5/8x24 adapter. Shooting suppressed, and per labradar, it only lost 130-150fps of MV for 6 inches of barrel.

Attachments

• 20231209_100356.jpg
    20231209_100356.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 38