Tikka T3x superlite 7mm-08 accuracy issues

ndayton

WKR
Bought a new tikka about a month ago love the gun and how light it is but for the life of me I cannot get it to shoot at their 1 MOA guarantee, most groups are 1-1/2 to 3 inch groups every once in awhile I will get a group close to MOA but its rare, I let the gun cool down between groups I have cleaned it well to remove copper fouling, tried 4 different types of premium ammo with over 120 rounds through the gun, tried a different scope off my Sako which shoots lights out, different rings and mount, all torqued to spec no change. I hate to feel like I'm being picky but I feel this gun should shoot 1 inch groups no problem with good ammo. I'm no sharp shooter but I'm shooting prone off bags which I have no issue shooting sub moa with other rifles I own so I feel I'm making good shots
I am hoping somebody who may have fought accuracy on this model could help as I really want to like this rifle
thanks

V65Magna

FNG
Have you pulled the barreled action out of the stock? I know it's free-floated but there might be something ahead of the receiver that is causing rigid contact between the barrel and the forearm of the stock. The only other thing that I can think of, outside of taking it to a good gunsmith, is the crown, to see if you have any irregularities. Bummer that you are having an issue with what should be a great shooter. I'd probably send it back to Tikka if I were you, but I know what a PITA that is. Good luck.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I had a similar issue. I handload, but the best I got was just under 1.5 MOA for five shot groups. Many loads were over 2 MOA. I ended up bedding mine into a Bell and Carlson. Shot better, but still not where I wanted. I rebedded and provided more support to the barrel, and things are tightened up to right at or under 1 moa with the preferred load. I am already invested now, though, so if the barrel doesn’t “shoot-in” tighter yet, I will probably just re-barrel it.

Nice overall rifle in fit and feel, just not a lights-out shooter. I know we aren’t the only ones with this experience either.

Sounds like you've done most the things that are usually suggested for accuracy issues. I could only add that I always take the action out of the stock make sure the recoil lug is lined up right, and torque the action screws properly (I think I followed the recommendation from Tikka Performance). Also you could play with the trigger pull weight... but I dont know if any of that is going to shrink your groups down to the 1 moa mark from where they are now.

Last edited:
Sell it...take your loss and buy another one. You will lose a couple hundred on it at most.
Right now you have spent over a hundred bucks on premium ammo...plus cost of extra rings/mounts...and your time...with poor results.
Taking it to a smith...bedding...new stock...re-crowning etc...could end up good money after bad and could still have a subpar rifle.
Most Tikkas shoot great out of the box...the next rifle will be just fine.

If you were a handloader...work on your own rifles etc I would suggest having fun working through it...but I get the feeling that is not the case.

4IDARCHER

WKR
This worries me a bit. I was on the fence between this exact rifle in 7-08 or .270. Hopefully it is just a one-off issue.

OP
ndayton

ndayton

WKR
Have you pulled the barreled action out of the stock? I know it's free-floated but there might be something ahead of the receiver that is causing rigid contact between the barrel and the forearm of the stock. The only other thing that I can think of, outside of taking it to a good gunsmith, is the crown, to see if you have any irregularities. Bummer that you are having an issue with what should be a great shooter. I'd probably send it back to Tikka if I were you, but I know what a PITA that is. Good luck.

I did remove it from the stock to adjust the trigger weight down to around 2lbs made sure the action was snug against the recoil lug and torqued to spec 44inch lbs per tikka even tried 35 inch lbs just to see if it changed better/or worse but still the same

OP
ndayton

ndayton

WKR
Sell it...take your loss and buy another one. You will lose a couple hundred on it at most.
Right now you have spent over a hundred bucks on premium ammo...plus cost of extra rings/mounts...and your time...with poor results.
Taking it to a smith...bedding...new stock...re-crowning etc...could end up good money after bad and could still have a subpar rifle.
Most Tikkas shoot great out of the box...the next rifle will be just fine.

If you were a handloader...work on your own rifles etc I would suggest having fun working through it...but I get the feeling that is not the case.

Yeah Im getting to that point of taking the loss and buying another one also having this be my first 7mm-08 has left a bad taste in my mouth, wondering if i should consider another caliber, my sako 270 shoots premium factory ammo no problem so maybe that gun has spoiled me :D

Have you checked to see if the Barrel is touching the forend ? My T3 .270 WSM stain lite, was touching and I made sure, it was "Free floated" back to the FIRST "Rib" on the stock, (under the bullet area of, the Chamber) I wanted it to be "supported" there ! Make SURE the recoil lug is SEATED properly by banging the butt end "down" on a Table, before tightening screws. Try Nosler, 140 or, 160 grain AccuBonds or, Ballistic tip ammo as, NAB's and BT's "Jump well" in, long free bore chambers like the Tikka. Our Tikka's shoot, SUB, MOA. Good luck,.. some Rifles can be "trying" !

Yea my light 7-08 wasn't all the way floated. There's a thread not too far back but the moral was that after clearing the barrel channel mine is shooting 120NBTs (low recoil in a super light fwiw) under an inch with plenty of jump.

OP
ndayton

ndayton

WKR
I did hit the butt stock on a table before tightening the action screws the ammo i have tested is nosler accubobd 140gr ballistic tip 140 gr hornady sst 120gr hornady Eldx 150 gr. In regards to the “rib” i noticed the barrel is not free floated all the way to the action i dont have any forend contact but if i slide a dollar up the barrel it hits this rib, should i remove it or is this going to cause other issues, i do appreciate the help

I did hit the butt stock on a table before tightening the action screws the ammo i have tested is nosler accubobd 140gr ballistic tip 140 gr hornady sst 120gr hornady Eldx 150 gr. In regards to the “rib” i noticed the barrel is not free floated all the way to the action i dont have any forend contact but if i slide a dollar up the barrel it hits this rib, should i remove it or is this going to cause other issues, i do appreciate the help
I carefully "fitted" that, "Rib" with, a dowel and fine sandpaper, to support, the shank portion of, the bbl. on my rifle and free floated the rest of forearm, on my T3. My T3 stainless .270 WSM easily shoots, under MOA with hand loaded AccuBond's and Bal Tip's. You "may" have, a "bad" barrel or, something else, is wrong, if that, doesn't work, ??
Any of those Loads, should have, "grouped" ! Removing, the rib, "MAY" void your Factory Warranty! I would NOT do that.
You may ask around for a TIKKA Gunsmith in your area or, call Beretta to send it in.

Last edited:
The Gun "should" shoot with, the "Rib" in "place" IF, it is NOT binding. I was, a Gunsmith for 30 years and glass bedded / free floated many, many Rifles over that, period of time. When I glass bedded an Action, I taped up, the barrel to the shank portion ( just past the radius) for clearance and never had any problem getting them, to shoot well, that way. I built several wood and composite stocked custom rifles, every year for hunters that went from Alaska to Mexico and even parts of Asia for Marco Polo Sheep (I'm not bragging, just stating my experience with Rifles). IF you need to warranty the Gun, removing the Rib could get it "kicked back" to you and as I stated, it should shoot fine with rib in place as, my son's and mine do.

Last edited:
Tikka's that WON'T shoot, are far and few, between, but it does,.."happen" ! Be patient, keep this "post" up on top and maybe some other Gunsmiths will "Chime in" with, idea's. Did you check the "Crown" for Dings? Have you thoroughly cleaned, the barrel ( copper fouling) ? I broke in my barrel with, lots of JB's Bore Cleaner swabbed on tight patches over a Brush and did about 20 strokes back/ forth ( bore shines like Chromed). You might also try, switching Scopes as, sometimes they, vibrate loose. IF you do have a "bad barrel", I personally would ship it back, to Beretta/Tikka !
Reread, Matt Cashell's post. ! You may never, get it to shoot as well as you'd like ! New barrel + Labor $600- 700.00, New Stock, $350 or, more !
Just my .02 cents!

Last edited:
OP
ndayton

ndayton

WKR
Tikka's that WON'T shoot, are far and few, between, but it does,.."happen" ! Be patient, keep this "post" up on top and maybe some other Gunsmiths will "Chime in" with, idea's. Did you check the "Crown" for Dings? Have you thoroughly cleaned, the barrel ( copper fouling) ? I broke in my barrel with, lots of JB's Bore Cleaner swabbed on tight patches over a Brush and did about 20 strokes back/ forth ( bore shines like Chromed). You might also try, switching Scopes as, sometimes they, vibrate loose. IF you do have a "bad barrel", I personally would ship it back, to Beretta/Tikka !
Reread, Matt Cashell's post. ! You may never, get it to shoot as well as you'd like ! New barrel + Labor $600- 700.00, New Stock, $350 or, more !
Just my .02 cents!

I took it apart again checked the recoil lug and looked for anything out of place, then cleaned the barrel again with sweets bore cleaner, i don't have a bore scope but at least from the crown area i could see the copper fouling had been removed the crown itself looks good no sign of damage or defects I did try a different scope rings and base with no change. Im going to shoot it again after double checking everything and torquing to tikkas recommended specs. If still no luck I will have a gun smith look at the barrel for anything that could cause issues and then contact Tikka/Berretta but somehow I get the feeling it will work great for them.

@ ndayton,.. You sound like you have done a pretty thorough job, on checking your Rifle and you have covered, the "usual suspects" of problems. Good luck with, your next Range test !

aklogan

FNG
My t3x superlight does not do well after a cleaning. The first 10 or so shots it is a mess. After 10 it cleans up significantly. Mine is a 300wm but I about pulled my hair out till I stopped cleaning it so often.

OP
ndayton

ndayton

WKR
Ok here's the update, I shot the gun with a clean barrel trying another brand of ammo Winchester Silver BTs and I actually shot a 5 shot group sub moa, thinking maybe it magically fixed itself I let the gun cool ran a dry bore snake and tried Hornady precision hunter ELD-X and was back to 2-3" groups, let the gun cool again shot the Winchester ammo and was back to groups right around 1" consistently. So it appears this gun will shoot the moa guarantee as long as I use this Winchester ammo, I would be lying to say I'm not disappointed as I would like to shoot ELD-X ammo or Accubonds but it seems I would have to start hand loading and work up a load this gun would like with those bullets. I'm sure the Winchester is fine ammo but its a bummer when your choices are limited on what factory ammo your gun likes.
Thanks again for all the replys and feedback
shot group.jpg

dkynoch

FNG
I would just call Tikka and see what they will do about it. You have tried enough different loads to say the rifle is not shooting to their standards. One of the reasons you probably chose to buy a Tikka is their 1 MOA guarantee, you should use it. Just call them, send it back, and have them fix it. I have found when a rifle doesn't show signs of good accuracy right off it never will.