Tikka Woes

NMRN

FNG
Not really woes but…..

Bought a 7mm-08 t3x superlite kind of on a whim. Just wanted to see what the hype was about. So far…meh.

Round count is 137. I have a couple loads that shoot around 1 moa (5 round groups, I know).

Have an swfa 3-15 in a dnz low mount on it, and have the vertical grip on the way.

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but I’m just not really loving it. I absolutely hate the stock, but if it would consistently shoot better groups I would swap it. Is it too soon to punt? Is there something I’m missing?

I’m a new hand loader but I do load for a couple other guns with better results.

So your conundrum is "do I spend $ on a better stock when the barreled action doesn't shoot bugholes on command"?

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying. My limited sample size of factory tikka barrels doesn't match the hype. Acceptable, yes. Impressive? not really. Also think the factory grip sucks and even with the vertical grip dont much like it because it's still a long reach to trigger. Butt pad sucks. The stock is rigid, light, and doesn't drop a bunch at the heel which are nice attributes.

I really like the tikka for the value in the action and trigger but wouldn't get too excited about using one in factory form either. Would still take it before most other run of the mill hunting rifles though!

Last edited:
Whats your sight picture like when you get behind the gun eyes closed and open them. do you have it lined up perfect? Something to raise the comb like a kydex piece, Bradley cheek riser or triad comb raiser helped my consistency a bunch but it sounds like you are an experienced shooter . A trigger spring to lighten the trigger along with the vertical grip also are a must for me. I don't mind the factory stock once I added the airtech limbsaver and cheek riser.If you don't like it you don't like it though. Good thing about Tikka is you should get most of your $ back if you do sell

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
Yeah…lol. That’s pretty much exactly what I’m saying. I’m 100% the guy that grew up shooting a Marlin 30-30 at 80 yards.

Tikka just gets so much love here I thought I’d give it a shot. I already load for my wife’s 7-08 so I had plenty of components.

My main reasoning was I was thinking about replacing my Howa Alpine .308 as my backpacking gun. I was thinking about more speed and better BC. At this point I’m probably sticking with the Howa.

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
Whats your sight picture like when you get behind the gun eyes closed and open them. do you have it lined up perfect? Something to raise the comb like a kydex piece, Bradley cheek riser or triad comb raiser helped my consistency a bunch but it sounds like you are an experienced shooter . A trigger spring to lighten the trigger along with the vertical grip also are a must for me. I don't mind the factory stock once I added the airtech limbsaver and cheek riser.If you don't like it you don't like it though. Good thing about Tikka is you should get most of your $ back if you do sell
I’m relatively new to shooting at medium distance. I do shoot a lightweight 308 considerably better than this Tikka. I also have a vanguard wilderness 300 wm in a stocky’s vg that I don’t miss my 8” plate at 600 with (I understand that’s not necessarily brag worthy).

I guess what I’m really wondering is if this is typical accuracy in a completely stock tikka.

I have a brand new Tikka T3x in 7-08 I purchased in January, and my round count is under 25. I have the vertical grip and flat forend, and I'm also using the SWFA 3-15x42. My scope is mounted in
Sportsmatch T084 rings, and I followed the degrease, loc-tite, and torque process outlined on a different thread on here...

My first handload for it was 44 grains of Varget and 120 Nosler ballistic tips with COL of 2.816. Brass was 1x fired necked down Federal .308 cases. My first 10 shot group is attached.

My advice is to not give up, and make sure you've eliminated any equipment issues in the mount, rings, and action screws. Not sure what your load development was, but I also subscribe to Form's painless method.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 7_08 120 NBT 44 Varget.jpeg
    7_08 120 NBT 44 Varget.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 79

Tmac

WKR
Around 1moa hunts.

I shoot 4 Tikkas, 2 T3’s and 2 T3x’s. Two consistently shoot 5 shot groups 1/2 - 3/4”, larger groups around 1 - 1.2 moa. One is 7/8 for 5 and around 1.4 moa for larger groups. The other one has never shot much of anything very well, 1.5moa for 3. It gets shot for practice a lot and may soon get a new barrel and stock. My older REM 700’s shoot about the same as my Tikkas.

If you want better precision and have eliminated scope, rings and mounts, check bedding, then the recoil lug, then try different bullets.

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
What loads have you been trying?
So far I’ve shot a box of Norma whitetail for break in and a box of 120 grain ttsx. Loaded 139 grain lrx, 140 grain ttsx, 150 grain ablr and 139 grain sst. Powders were varget, 6.5 Staball, and h380.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you don't like it you don't like it, no shame. 1" 5 shots, repeatedly is just fine imho. By the way on most of my guns with more typical stocks I run a cheap stock pack and put padding under them to get my cheek where I want it, IE a cheek riser but strapped on version that I also carry 8-10rds of ammo in too. TBD on what happens with the rokstok. Long story short I find that helpful.

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
You’re shooting 1 MOA 5 shot groups. Consistently? I’m not sure what there is to complain about. The difference in hit rate at 600 between a half MOA (all day) gun and 1 MOA gun is negligible
I get it. I’m not really complaining. It’s around 1 minute. Worst of the best (if that makes sense) groups are 1.2”.

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
If you don't like it you don't like it, no shame. 1" 5 shots, repeatedly is just fine imho. By the way on most of my guns with more typical stocks I run a cheap stock pack and put padding under them to get my cheek where I want it, IE a cheek riser but strapped on version that I also carry 8-10rds of ammo in too. TBD on what happens with the rokstok. Long story short I find that helpful.
I use strips off a cheap sleeping pad and duct tape with an elastic sleeve over everything

Geewhiz

WKR
I also have a vanguard wilderness 300 wm in a stocky’s vg that I don’t miss my 8” plate at 600 with (I understand that’s not necessarily brag worthy).

Here's another member that I'm excited to see shoot the '24 cold bore challenge. Yesterdays guy claimed 1/2 MOA to a mile.

Maybe I'll start a thread to publicly call out the 1 or 1/2 MOA all day guys to prove themselves when it comes time for the CBC

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
I have a brand new Tikka T3x in 7-08 I purchased in January, and my round count is under 25. I have the vertical grip and flat forend, and I'm also using the SWFA 3-15x42. My scope is mounted in
Sportsmatch T084 rings, and I followed the degrease, loc-tite, and torque process outlined on a different thread on here...

My first handload for it was 44 grains of Varget and 120 Nosler ballistic tips with COL of 2.816. Brass was 1x fired necked down Federal .308 cases. My first 10 shot group is attached.

My advice is to not give up, and make sure you've eliminated any equipment issues in the mount, rings, and action screws. Not sure what your load development was, but I also subscribe to Form's painless method.

Good luck!
I’ll have to check out forms method. I’ve only been reloading for about a year and have been learning on my own.

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
Here's another member that I'm excited to see shoot the '24 cold bore challenge. Yesterdays guy claimed 1/2 MOA to a mile.

Maybe I'll start a thread to publicly call out the 1 or 1/2 MOA all day guys to prove themselves when it comes time for the CBC

I wouldn’t equate 1.33 moa to 1/2 moa, but apparently I’m not the math whiz you are

Reactions: BLJ

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use strips off a cheap sleeping pad and duct tape with an elastic sleeve over everything
Same difference, sounds like you're good there. I had a 145LRX load that was fairly accurate in mine but a lil slow on MV (~2750irrc), I was starting to work up a new load with the 139LRX to pick up a bit more velocity but then I got a suppressor and wanted a shorter barrel and decided to change my tikka 7-08 to a 284WIN, barrel is enroute.

I wouldn’t equate 1.33 moa to 1/2 moa, but apparently I’m not the math whiz you are

I think the point is that shooting a 1 minute or smaller group at 600 yards and never missing a 1.3 MOA target at 600 yards are vastly different things.

cold bore shot, first shot in given conditions, never miss a 1.3 MOA target at 600 yards? that is very difficult.

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
I think the point is that shooting a 1 minute or smaller group at 600 yards and never missing a 1.3 MOA target at 600 yards are vastly different things.

cold bore shot, first shot in given conditions, never miss a 1.3 MOA target at 600 yards? that is very difficult.
That’s not how I read that but I’ll take it. Im certainly not trying to brag. My 8” plate is my standard. If I can’t hit that with a very high degree of certainty, it’s too far for me to shoot.

Not sure what the cbc is, but I’m pretty confident in that set up. I’ve shot at least rounds a week through it with the same load for the past year.

I live in Rio Rancho, New Mexico if anyone wants to get together to shoot.