Timney trigger reliability in adverse conditions

TaperPin

WKR
According to many guys here that don’t use Timney’s, they fail all the time and are the most dangerous thing in the world. They are probably on a million rifles and mine have never had any problem. All triggers should be cleaned and lubricated once in a while - those that still claim triggers should be degreased and not lubed are asking for trouble.

(queue crowd repeating the silly tired old stories of every Timney causing problems on every rifle and half of all PRS rifles with Timneys jambing up every competition)

cmahoney

WKR
I have a Timney Calvin that’s about 10 years old. It will lock up if I neglect to keep it lubed and clean. In my experience it’s much more likely to have issues than the trigger tech primary and special I have in other rifles.

I have one on a Ruger 77 Mk2 that has been fantastic from day one. Crisp and absolutely reliable hunting in Alaska in a variety of cold, muddy, wet, and snowy conditions. Also worked perfectly on two safaris in Africa, with heat and dust. That being said it is from probably 30 years ago now, so who knows what might have changed in design and manufacturing, and of course a sample size of one.

Barrett Fieldcraft’s come from the factory with a Timney trigger. I’ve never heard of any Fieldcraft’s having issues, and in my experience, have had no issues in 5 years of mountain hunting in Alaska with mine.

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
Yes!!! I love the Timney. Called them up direct and ordered 2 with 2.5# pull. 1000x better. Love the wide shoe with the grooves.

Love everything about them. I hunt with my rifles so another reason I chose Timney.

That is my opinion. My personal opinion. Take care and shoot straight.

OP
rickyw

rickyw

FNG
Thanks for the replies
I had a Timney briefly, before I lost it, rifle and all, in a close call in a raging creek off the Matanuska river (AK). I liked it, but didn’t ever have the chance to put it through its paces. Now all my triggers are open (ruger Hawkeye and m70 classic). Looking at the new M70s and wondering about swapping their MOA trigger out for a Timney

To keep the Timney trigger more reliable use, you have to lube it. I have been using mine for many years with no issue with it

eamyrick

WKR
Thanks for the replies
I had a Timney briefly, before I lost it, rifle and all, in a close call in a raging creek off the Matanuska river (AK). I liked it, but didn’t ever have the chance to put it through its paces. Now all my triggers are open (ruger Hawkeye and m70 classic). Looking at the new M70s and wondering about swapping their MOA trigger out for a Timney
I’m following along. I’ve seen a pile of work rifles function great with Timney with no issues but we don’t get the ice here. I’m taking a MOA Timney in my Winchester to Alaska in August.

manitou1

WKR
I have read reports of Trigger Techs failing when dirty or ice/snow, but not Timneys.

I have had Timney triggers on several rifles and none have ever failed me... but I keep my rifles maintained and pretty clean.

I hunt hard in dusty, muddy, rainy and snowy conditions, but if I know my rifle has been mudded up or dropped in the snow I clean it out the first chance I get.

I believe there are several good trigger makers out there but any could have a problem if you neglect to maintain your rifle.

ldmay375

FNG
I have one on a Ruger 77 Mk2 that has been fantastic from day one. Crisp and absolutely reliable hunting in Alaska in a variety of cold, muddy, wet, and snowy conditions. Also worked perfectly on two safaris in Africa, with heat and dust. That being said it is from probably 30 years ago now, so who knows what might have changed in design and manufacturing, and of course a sample size of one.
I assume the "box" type enclosed triggers are the Timney type in question.
I also, have a Timney in a Ruger Mark II. It has been in a 338 Winchester for ~30 years. Never an issue. But, the Mark II's and the older New Haven Winchester M70's are of the open trigger design.

If I recall correctly, Timney recommends using lighter fluid for clean out, and to provide lubrication for the box/enclosed triggers. I have put a couple of these on the new production M70's.