Tire Chains

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Flat lander here. I was hoping to get your get your guys take on tire chains. I plan on hunting western Colorado in late November and was wondering if I need chains. What do you think? What brands would you recommend? Front and back? Do chains damage your tires? I appreciate your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes. Tirechain.com is where I got mine. They don't damage tires in my experience. You need to verify fitment of your vehicle prior to using them. Some vehicles can't use all four.

WCB

WKR
I would recommend all 4. If only putting on 2 (sometimes all that is needed) PUT THEM ON THE FRONT SO YOU CAN STEER THE VEHICLE.

Saw multiple guys in MT put them on the back and get in trouble.

cnelk

WKR
I carry all 4 but typically only use them on the front - thats where the weight is at.

NorseNW

FNG
For offroad application I recommend real chains not the wire cable ones they sell for cars and light trucks when they are on the highway. Those don't hold for worth a darn and real chains will dig much better. When you need them you need them.

T28w

WKR
I went thru this last year as I’ve never needed chains in Alabama 😂

Are you talking about chains to use on or off road

Do you know if you can fit real chains on your front? I could not. I could get smaller on road chain or cable, but not off road type chains.

From my reading most newer trucks need a type s chain on front due to clearance issues.

circles

FNG
Yes, you need to have them. Yes, you need to be able to chain up all 4. You might not use them but you really should have them. I buy them online.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for the feedback. Now I will just need to figure out which will work best on my Tundra.

go_deep

WKR
If you buy 2 chains put one on the left front tire and one on the back right tire. Helps prevent damage to your drive train and will keep you running true up or down the road.

If you've never put chains on before, do yourself a favor and put them on your truck a few times before you get out here.

OP
E

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
With 4 on would I have a problem hauling a small trailer with a side by side? Or should I leave it at home?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
With 4 on would I have a problem hauling a small trailer with a side by side? Or should I leave it at home?

The pulling of the trailer isn't going to be the problem, it can be an enormous challenge to keep the trailer from jack knifing when slowing down or trying to stop when it's slick enough to require chaining up the truck.

Last edited: