Tired of former pro athletes turned hunting celebs?

I’ll bring to light the incredible irony OP is trying to get at.

Wolfe: Did you know they’re trying to take away OTC tags in Colorado from nonresidents?

Rogan: why?

Wolfe: Uh hmmm blah blah I buy land owner tags while promoting hunting so who cares.

I don’t feel the least bad for people in this thread that don’t care about what’s happening with SM and loss of tags right before our eyes then complain about losing hunting opportunities.

Market hunters is the correct term, never thought we would see that day again.

This ^ was 18 minutes before this following comment from you. Last time I’m telling you.
You going to hold other members backhanded comments about getting a life, getting my feeling hurt, bit*hing, etc. to the same standard? I didn't specifically name bash anyone in the original post out of respect not wanting this thread to get out of hand and I have been respectful replying to several people who were looking for a fight with snarky comments. I'll be sure to keep it polite.

Wolfe: Did you know they’re trying to take away OTC tags in Colorado from nonresidents?

Wolfe: Uh hmmm blah blah I buy land owner tags while promoting hunting so who cares.

I don’t feel the least bad for people in this thread that don’t care about what’s happening with SM and loss of tags right before our eyes then complain about losing hunting opportunities.

^

I hear about lose of opportunity but i still havent found enough time to take advantage of all the opportunity. I hunted well over 60 days this year and feel i left alot on the table.

I'm not a fan of guys on social media complaining about guys on social media complaining about guys on social media. I also don't follow celebrities or sports. I'm too busy with my hobby of collecting hobbies for that junk.

I feel like I can't be the only one getting tired of seeing all these former professional athletes/celebrities getting into hunting and being the new poster child for outdoor companies due to their following. It's one thing if they just enjoy hunting and want to participate like everyone else, in that case I'm all for it as everyone has a right to hunt and fish in my mind. However, it feels like every time I look there's a new former professional athlete starting their own hunting show, hunting YouTube channel, hunting podcast, on the cover of hunting magazines, etc. even when they have little to no actual hunting experience. It feels to forced and unauthentic every time I see it as many of them are just using it as a new stream of income. They always rep sellout brands known for using influencers and have to make sure to hashtag every brand they use.

So I guess my question is do other hunters actually enjoy seeing these people contribute to the overcrowding problem and profit off of an activity we love even though they lack the credentials as an outdoorsman? Who actually buys into their BS and follows these people besides brand new hunters who don't know any better yet? I can't be the only one who does an eye roll every time one of these guys starts a new hunting channel/podcast just because they shot one or two critters on a private land outfitted hunt and get free equipment from outdoor companies. I didn't name any individuals or companies by name as I don't love bashing, but it just feels like its getting out of control with the self promotion.
If you ignore it, it doesn’t exist. I don’t know of any athletes turned hunting celebs and want to keep it that way (so don’t try stealing my innocence)

Just don’t consume their content and you won’t be annoyed by it.

That podcast was tough one. I listen to Rogan semi-regularly and at first I liked the hunting conversation him and Derek Wolfe were having. But then they go on and on about how great elk meat is, how everyone should experience the bugle of a bull elk, how almost religious the experience is. Oh, but by the way, we just go hunt Utah on landowner tags.

Nothing wrong with them doing that with their money, but they’re clearly out of touch with the situation the majority of hunters are in. They think they’re promoting a noble endeavor but in reality they’re ruining it.

That podcast was tough one. I listen to Rogan semi-regularly and at first I liked the hunting conversation him and Derek Wolfe were having. But then they go on and on about how great elk meat is, how everyone should experience the bugle of a bull elk, how almost religious the experience is. Oh, but by the way, we just go hunt Utah on landowner tags.

Nothing wrong with them doing that with their money, but they’re clearly out of touch with the situation the majority of hunters are in. They think they’re promoting a noble endeavor but in reality they’re ruining it.
Spot on imo

If someone would pay me to go hunt private ranches, give me free gear and pay for the outfitters to guide me I’d say where do I sign up!

I don’t personally watch much tv or listen to many podcasts. The people crowding the trails don’t really bug me either because they usually don’t get too far off of them. The few people I run into out where I go are usually just like the rest of us.

I believe the most recent stat I saw was that we get to hunt (legally) because the other 96% of the public is still allowing us to. It's not lost on me or anyone here how anti-hunting our MSM is and that's who has controlled the narrative up until social media. So maybe a question we can ask is what would the narrative be without people with massive reach and influence (Joe Rogan or whatever athlete/celebrity) and the positive light they're shining on our past time? Do we need people explaining to their 10 or 100 million followers how ethical and great it really is to hunt and fish to prevent those people from buying into what MSM is feeding? Maybe it doesn't move the needle, I don't know. Just something to consider. Is the increased pressure an unfortunate result of the necessity for hunters to control the narrative through large social media folks that attract all sides of the isle? Without these folks how many millions of people would still be anti-hunting and we start losing more of these balllot measures? Does it move the needle against us? There's no way to know. But I'm sure glad that MSM isn't 100% in control of the narrative! I also know for every one of those guys, there's 5 attention-whores with fish or ducks hanging from their mouth or whatever other nonsense they're up to tryring to gain attention. So I also share the frustration with everyone.

Maybe it's based on what I search on social media or how I use it, but I can't think of a single person this could be about. Guess I don't really watch sports either. I think Carson Wentz is the only guy I can think of (and that's b/c he grew up local) and he had a youtube hunting channel before going pro. I spend maybe an hour a month on youtube and most of my follows/followers on social media are family. I change the diapers of the only two people I care to influence.

edit: to be clear, what I kind of defend and like about these celebrities or athletes hunting is that their audience is a representative of the population. I think that's a good thing personally. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if all these other hunting pages that are only reaching other hunters and crowding up the joint disappeared tomorrow. I would rather have Joe Rogan (or your athlete) telling 100 million people how awesome the wilds are and how ethical and hard hunting is than Randy holding the hands of 10K hunters to all apply for the same tag.

Last edited:
Go listen to Derek Wolfe on eastmans elevated podcast. Dude admitted to baiting a bear in Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a “hunting celebrity” but I bought a property off of a guy a few years back and many have heard his name, Jody Davis… The guy loves to hunt and at the closing we were sharing hunting pictures the entire time in the attorney had to remind us to stay on task lol.

Jody Davis is a hell of a nice guy and he loves to hunt elk.
Catcher from the Cubs?

These threads are always a roller coaster and really fun to see what the first post says versus what the real reason is.

Do I like hunting celebrities? No, not really but I have learned one thing. If you start to get into the weeds about how someone makes a living and/or what jobs are necessary/valuable/meaningful/etc. You are in for a bad time.

Go listen to Derek Wolfe on eastmans elevated podcast. Dude admitted to baiting a bear in Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn’t it illegal to bait in MT? I won’t listen to anymore hunting podcast, but I find it hard to believe Eastman's would air a podcast like that… then again the “industry” promotes convicted poachers pretty often.

I didn’t read through all of the replies here, but I can tell you that this will not change anytime soon. Profit motive drives this and will continue to do so.

In my opinion the only real way to combat this is to have your own YouTube channel or similar platform and challenge them or call them out. I say this in all seriousness. If you are good at what you do and you can provide credentials and convince people that you are qualified to discuss the subject matter-then perhaps you can redirect some of this Internet, influencing garbage. The people here on Rokslide are not the typical gullible individual that blindly follows these influencers. You are preaching to the choir here.

That’s said actors, athletes, musicians, or anyone famous were influencers well before the Internet was a thing. It’s not new and it’s not going away.

I didn't read the thread, but I don't know a single former actor or athlete who is now a hunting celeb.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Back