Titanium Action...Lone Peak, Mesa Crux, or skip the Titanium?

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of doing a semi lightweight build and leaning towards a titanium action. The two at the top of my list are the Lone Peak Razor TI or the Mesa Crux Titanium. The Mesa looks interesting but not a lot of information out there on it. Anyone have any actual hands on experience with it? I like some of the other options like the bighorn SR3 etc., but just not sure I want that extra weight. Anyone that has some experience with these please offer your thoughts. Really hoping someone has some experience with the Crux.

I’ve used a lot of the Razor Ti’s and they are fantastic. One of the few actions I’d be confident chambering up a barrel and screwing on a random action and having it headspaced correctly. Them and defiance.

No experience with the Mesa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick at Straight Jacket is building their Packlites on the Crux, from my experience with him that is a good sign. Give them a call and ask their experience with them.

I am pretty much in the same boat. I am looking at the Razor, the Crux, and also the Deviant ultralight. Decisions decisions.

dkynoch

FNG
I have built a few rifles using Pierce Ti Actions. I like them on a hunting rifle because they don't have just a port for ejection and loading, they are fully open on the top which I like better for a hunting rifle.

I have built a few rifles using Pierce Ti Actions. I like them on a hunting rifle because they don't have just a port for ejection and loading, they are fully open on the top which I like better for a hunting rifle.

Do you know if they’re still machining their bolts from Ti or are they using stainless and Ti for the body now?

I had a pierce Ti back in 2013 and it was a nightmare. Smaller lugs than a standard 700, bolt had a few thou of runout. Returned it for a steel action from them and all accuracy issues went away. They said at the time they were going to start having their bolts ground instead of machined as they were having issues with the Titanium then. I’ve had zero issues with the few steel actions from them I’ve used.

Mike

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I just built a 6.5SS off a lone peak fuzion titanium. Bolt and body are both nitride and it’s ridiculously smooth. I’ve molested a pierce action and it was nowhere near as smooth.

Do you know if they’re still machining their bolts from Ti or are they using stainless and Ti for the body now?

I had a pierce Ti back in 2013 and it was a nightmare. Smaller lugs than a standard 700, bolt had a few thou of runout. Returned it for a steel action from them and all accuracy issues went away. They said at the time they were going to start having their bolts ground instead of machined as they were having issues with the Titanium then. I’ve had zero issues with the few steel actions from them I’ve used.

Mike

They make both a TI action with the 4140 bolt and they make a lightweight version with a TI bolt. I believe the TI action with TI bolt is 16 ounces if I remember right. I saw a post on another site where a guy had a 28 Nosler built with the TI/TI bolt and action. Rifle was just under 6LBs and looked like it shot very well from the groups posted.

dkynoch

FNG
They make them in both options, a steel bolt, or for a little extra a Ti bolt.

On a lightweight hunting rifle I use talley rings. The last rifle I built I put a VX-6Hd 6-18 scope on it and it has plenty of elevation to go well past 1000 yards without any cant, plus I hate looking through scopes that are sighted in at 100 to 300 yards that have a canted base, you can tell that it is outside the center of the elevation range, I don't mind it for a few shots at long range, but for most shooting it bugs me.

Last edited:

amerimono

FNG
Does anyone have time behind the line peak titanium and the defiance ultralite? I'm currently considering both of these for a new 6.5 prc build.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Lone peak fuzion here. Both body and bolt are nitride. It’s pretty smooth. Handled a few defiance hunters that were nitride. Pretty smooth as well. Ryan has an ultralight and had a razor, I’m sure he will chime in.

Whats the best way to get in touch with Lone peak? haven't had the best of luck getting in touch, but really want to try one of their actions.

Last edited: