Titanium cookware upgrade?

1hoda

Banned
I'm thinking about upgrading to some titanium cookware. I've read some good things about Evernew America but since it's catalog sale only you can't go fondle it in the store before you buy it. Thoughts? Other brands?

What about non stick? How durable is the coating?

Titanium is great because of the lightness. The stuff I have does not have a coating. Titanium does not work for frying very well. For the type of backcountry cooking I do, it is perfect. I got mine from Four Dog Stove Co. He sells snow peak. He custom makes pots hangers, and lids for them. He has a lot of good videos on his products and how to use them. Great guy, also.

http://fourdog.com/sp-titanium-pots-and-lids/

I have an ever new pot. Only used it on one 10 day trip last year and only to boil water. There is no coating on the pot that I know of. It has handles that fold out with rubber grips so you can also leave your pot gripper at home. It's 1.3 litres size I think. Good size for two people and big enough to store some stuff inside it in the pack. Never weighed it.

Titanium conducts heat much more efficiently than stainless or aluminum, so it can be tougher to actually cook with it. Hot spots are the norm since the heat isn't distributed around the bottom of the pot. For boiling water that is great but not for simmering something thick like rice or stew. Something to think about before upgrading.

I've never had snow peak stuff except to make a roll stove with their plates. They seem to be pretty popular.

I have this snow peak set to cook on my Kifaru medium box stove. It works great for everything but frying steaks or fish on. the tops double as a fry pan but they are so small they are almost worthless. Build quality and weight are great though. Still looking for a fry pan to add to my collection because i love fresh meat on the mountain!

For me I have really enjoyed the Vargo BOT. This falls into one of those duel use type items as the lid you screw on and seal it so its an extra 32 ounces of water in the pack when I need it. Plus I can seat the Fuel can, Stove and lighter in it and close the lid for a completely self contained unit. They sell a Stainless and Titanium version of it 40 for stainless and 100 for the titanium. For non backpack cooking we have a full setup of the GSI stuff that we have been super happy with.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-bot-bottle-pot.html#.VOqxTS6bj6c

Back