Titanium Thickness in Ultralight Wood Stove

GiddyUp

FNG
I was wondering if anyone with a Seek Outside or a Lite Outdoors ultralight wood stove could tell me how thick the titanium is? I've never had my hands on one, but I'm interested. They seem like they could be easily bent out of shape.

The UL versions all seem to be credit card thin. If concerned about panel flex, look at a Winnerwell Fastfold or the newer Fastfold Ultra Light. Winnerwell Ti stove panels are a bit more rigid. You'd need to kink the Ti to compromise the panels, and there is no typical use variable that might cause bending.

OP
G

GiddyUp

FNG
The UL versions all seem to be credit card thin. If concerned about panel flex, look at a Winnerwell Fastfold or the newer Fastfold Ultra Light. Winnerwell Ti stove panels are a bit more rigid. You'd need to kink the Ti to compromise the panels, and there is no typical use variable that might cause bending.
Thank you for that info. That's actually a little thicker than I thought. I was worried that they might get bent in a backpack if not cushioned.

The panels are thin and flexible, but are structured with 90 degree bends on all 4 sides. The whole assembly is scaled so small and light that the parts are hardly vulnerable to damage. When packed, the 4 panels are stacked so stiffer/stronger.

OP
G

GiddyUp

FNG
The panels are thin and flexible, but are structured with 90 degree bends on all 4 sides. The whole assembly is scaled so small and light that the parts are hardly vulnerable to damage. When packed, the 4 panels are stacked so stiffer/stronger.
Thanks, Hill Difficulty. That makes sense. Are the legs made from mild steel "all-thread" rods, or are they stainless steel? Do you have any issues with the wing nuts seizing up after use? It seems like those could cause some trouble. Mild steel tends to oxidize rapidly after heating.

gtriple

WKR
Thanks, Hill Difficulty. That makes sense. Are the legs made from mild steel "all-thread" rods, or are they stainless steel? Do you have any issues with the wing nuts seizing up after use? It seems like those could cause some trouble. Mild steel tends to oxidize rapidly after heating.
I've not had any issues with my medium U-turn.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you have a habit of regularly throwing your pack off a cliff, I wouldn’t worry about bending the legs or panels to the point it can be assembled. Obviously don’t sinch it down over something in your bag and create a fulcrum.

OP

My encouragement is to trust that the better Ti stoves are sturdy/foolproof. Unless careless, durability or corrosion will not be an issue. You also won't experience any wear & tear problems with a Seek stove, rods or hardware.

Btw, a Winnerwell Ti stove does not have steel rods or wing nuts. Everything folds into itself when not in use. The new Ultralight weighs 2.2# complete with 6.5' pipe. It will be tough for the competing Ti makers to get in front of the Fastfold. Can be got for $315 when available. There's a 15% break for first time site signups.
Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 8.00.25 AM.png

gtriple

WKR
OP

My encouragement is to trust that the better Ti stoves are sturdy/foolproof. Unless careless, durability or corrosion will not be an issue. You also won't experience any wear & tear problems with a Seek stove, rods or hardware.

Btw, a Winnerwell Ti stove does not have steel rods or wing nuts. Everything folds into itself when not in use. The new Ultralight weighs 2.2# complete with 6.5' pipe. It will be tough for the competing Ti makers to get in front of the Fastfold. Can be got for $315 when available. There's a 15% break for first time site signups.
View attachment 686209
That Fastfold looks enticing. Putting together a U-turn solo is not the easiest thing.

Beendare

WKR
Giddy, yeah the Titanium is thin….I used .005” shim stock from Mcmaster Carr to make a stove, the mnfr s typically use .004”-.006” shim In rolls.
The design dictates that these hold shape. Just be aware, you will burn them out over afew years of use. They are designed for UL..not longevity.

That Winnerwell above looks good. A guy would have a hard time making on for that price.

Last edited:

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Just to chime in here... We use 30 ga ti. on our standard stoves and the u-turns have an ultralight titanium foil for the sides as well as the pipe. The stuff we use usually will get little dents and warps but that is why titanium is a good material for throwing it in your pack... because it is malleable. It takes a lot to bend it out of shape to where it effects the functionality of it. The u-turn sides are more prone to that but you can easily bend it back.

OP
G

GiddyUp

FNG
Just to chime in here... We use 30 ga ti. on our standard stoves and the u-turns have an ultralight titanium foil for the sides as well as the pipe. The stuff we use usually will get little dents and warps but that is why titanium is a good material for throwing it in your pack... because it is malleable. It takes a lot to bend it out of shape to where it effects the functionality of it. The u-turn sides are more prone to that but you can easily bend it back.
Thanks for the info.