To pack or not to pack?

lintond

WKR
Okay for all of you that pack into the backcountry I've got a question. How many of you pack up each day and carry camp on your back so you can be mobile? How many of you set up camp for a few days in one spot and hike back each evening?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For me it just depends on the situation. I mostly set up camp and hunt from the same spot. I have done a few trips where we moved a lot either because we planned to "through hunt" the area or if we just weren't seeing what we wanted.

We did a seventy mile hike/ hunt a few years ago and it was a blast. I think we only stayed in the same spot once on that trip.

Last year on a bear hunt we moved camp to the other side of a basin to give us a better spot to descend into the basin after the bears.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its all situational. If i have to follow a herd of elk moving during the rut, camp is mobile. Hunting a big deer, camp stays in one place as the deer is in one place.

rodney482

WKR
Depends on the location I am hunting

most of the time I spike camp.

but sometimes a bivy is the way to go

I don't get to scout so I like to be mobile when I hunt. I have predetermined locations picked out via google earth and hunt from one spot to the next but it really depends on the location. If like an area ill stay all week. I've also moved 4 miles unplanned because I spotted a big buck. I just go with the flow and I'm always ready to move.

Here in Oregon our group hunts three different wilderness areas. The first two we have bivy sites that we have hunted for years and spend usually three to four days then move to the next spot. The last week we week we will be in a different wilderness and are likely to move each night to try to find herds of elk. Just depends on the situation.