Too early to start a new Gear List Thread?

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
I'll re-post now with my modifications. Since I'm not carrying the Sig, I'm switching from one medium belt pouch to two small pouches. I can combine my small miscellaneous items and hygiene stuff into one small KU pull-out. Dropped the flashlight even though I hate to because it is like spotlight. Taking the shoes out, but will want to find something else and don't know if I can find anything else like that under a pound. I took out the fire paste and will add cotton balls in vaseline if I can find some film canisters (who still uses film?). Since I'm dropping the spotter I can use a side pocket on the Timberline to carry the tarp and save 4 oz in the stuff sack. I'm going to go with two water bottles instead of the camelback. I took out the filter, but will have to add some weight for some sort of filter system and water drops. I don't want to take out the camera because the Iphone takes crappy pictures in low light. Altogether I'm down almost 20 lbs at 37 lbs, 8 oz. That's huge! I know I'll have to add in a couple things yet and can maybe take out a couple too, but I think I can be less than 40 pounds without food. I may drop the rain pants if I'm wearing gaiters anyway.

Item lbs. oz.
Pack
Kifaru BT1 w/2 small belt pouches 6 5
Modified with no snow collar or sleeping bag divider
Longhunter Lid without straps & Grab-it

Sleep System
Kifaru 20* Slick Bag w/5-string stuff sack 2 13
TI Goat Raven Bivy 9
Exped Synmat UL 7 (Medium) 1 1
Seek Outside Breakaway Tarp with Annex 1 7
Tent Stakes (12) & Trip-eze line 7

Bow 6 10
Mathews Z7
Tight Spot Quiver
Victory VAPs with Rocky Mountain TI-100s (3)
Spott Hogg 5-Pin
Doinker 10”
Schaffer Rest

First Aid Kit - In small OR waterproof stuff sack 5
Gauze Pad
Mole Skin
Steri Strips
Quick Clot
Super Glue
Assorted Meds (Tylenol, Allergy meds, cold meds, etc.)
Antacid

Hygiene & Misc Items - In Kifaru KU small pullout 1 4
Body Glide
Cortizone
Q-Tips
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Nail Clipper
Chapstick
Toilet Paper (1/4 roll)
Baby wipes
MSR Towel
Duct Tape
Lens Cleaner
Compass
Heat Packs (hand warmers - 2)
Allen Wrenches (bow specific)
Bic Lighters (2)

Kill Kit - In Kifaru medium KU pull-out 1 9
Havalon Piranta w/6 extra blades
Benchmade Folding knife
Rubber Gloves - 2 pair
Game Bags - 2 TAG 24x44
Kifaru Meat Baggies - 2
Contractor Garbage Bags - 2

Calls 6

Trekking Poles (used for tarp poles also) 1 2

Jetboil Stove w/one gas canister & TI spork 1 8

Zebra Headlamp 3

Leatherman Skeletool 6

MarkingTape(3ft.) 1
Cannon Camera 9

Camelbak 1 qt. water bottles (2-empty) 6

Swarovski SLC 10x42 Binoculars - In FNF bino harness 2 12

Garmin 62S 8

Bow Releases (2) 8

Extra Clothing - In HPG S25M bag 3 8
First Lite Red Desert Boxer Briefs
Kuiu 185 Top
Kuiu Guide Beanie
Kuiu Guide Gloves
Kuiu Guide Jacket
Bridgedale Merino Wool Socks
Pair Smartwool Merino Wool Sock liners
Kuiu Neck Gaitor

Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight Jacket w/hood 1 2
packed in waterproof Sea to Summit compression sack

Clothing to wear *
First Lite Allegheny Bottoms
First Lite Red Desert Boxer Briefs
Kuiu 185 Top
Kuiu Guide Vest
Bridgedale Merino Wool Socks
Smartwool Merino Wool liner socks
Kuiu Attack Pants
OR Gaitors

Rainwear 2 3
Kuiu Chugach Jacket
Kuiu Chugach Pants

Footwear
Lowa Tibet Boots *

Total 37 8

BTW I seriously think I can get all this in my DT3 bag thereby saving another pound or better.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
^^^ that looks great! I would def bring something other then your boots as its AMAZING to get out of your boots at the end of the day around camp. I use crocs, but there are some super light shoes i think luke? had that i might be looking into.

Lorne

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
^^^ that looks great! I would def bring something other then your boots as its AMAZING to get out of your boots at the end of the day around camp. I use crocs, but there are some super light shoes i think luke? had that i might be looking into.

Lorne

Yea, those Brooks running shoes are less than a pound and really comfortable. I agree about having something else to wear at the end of the day.

edg1967,

How do you like the Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight Jacket w/hood? Saw they had them on sale the other day, but hadn't really heard anything about them.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
ryan - just wanted to chime in here. I have 3 of the Eddie Bauer Down jackets and I can't say enough great things about them. I use them for light mountaineering treks and also every day use. I've beaten them up pretty good with no issues at all. I have the Micro Therm (lightweight), Down Light (medium weight) and the Duradown (heavier weight but also has Cordura ripstop shell). For the price I really don't think you can beat their down jackets and vest.

i would still loose the skeletool, guide jacket, the 2nd 185 top, the guide vest, 1 meat baggie, 1 garbage bag, 1 pair rubber gloves, nail clippers

Mike7

WKR
It's already been mentioned, but I too would personally would drop a knife (small leatherman + havalon is plenty) and drop the guide jacket/vest (Rain shell + merino layers + down jacket is plenty).

I personally hate the Sawyer squeeze filter by itself after trying last summer and don't like the taste of many tablets. Immediate, cold, clean, good tasting water from a tiny spring seep like can be had with a pump filter is hard to beat. This year I am going to try the sawyer squeeze though with the inline adapter kit so that I can use the Platypus Big Zip as my water collecting device instead of those small mouthed Sawyer bags or the too long/tall 2 L bottles (most other things don't have the right threads for the Sawyer Squeeze). This will allow me a squeeze or gravity filter option I hope, and I will add the Platypus bladder as a backup to my main MSR Dromlite bladder.

The pistol is probably unnecessary weight, but if it helps you sleep easier when...wolfs are howling all around you at night, when you are awakened abruptly by a bull moose screaming and snorting because you are camped too close to his nighttime trail through the saddle, when you are awakened by curious deer snorting right next to your tarp, when you're packing out meat at night in griz country, when a small black bear is dragging away your food bag from the edge of camp that you were too lazy to hang after getting into a camping spot late, when a pack of wolves charges at you while you cow call in broad daylight, or when you scarcely catch glimpses of a ghostlike cougar stalking in on you at dusk while you cow call...then the 2 lbs 7 ounces pistol wt seems like weight well carried. These are all things that have happened to my friend and I within the past 2 yrs while hunting and not including some of the crazy people I've met out there on the rare occasion.

Lawnboi

WKR
Just an observation, id carry more than 3 arrows.

The letherman is not needed. I carried one for a while and it never saw any use.

qtips?

Why not use a standard lid if the space of the longhunter is not needed?

Vest or jacket id pick one or the other. no reason for both. Or don't take either. You have a puffy jacket and a rain jacket.

Ditch the 1pt water bottles for a couple Nalgene bottles. You can put boiling water in them, wide mouth makes them easy to fill. You can use them to keep you warm at night. They wont break. Lots of uses.

Last edited:
If you're taking water bottles take used Gatorade bottles. They are as tough as nalgene bottles but a few oz lighter.

Mike

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
edg1967,

How do you like the Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight Jacket w/hood? Saw they had them on sale the other day, but hadn't really heard anything about them.

I would ditto what others have said about the Eddie Bauer Downlight. My wife got me one without a hood for Christmas last year and after wearing it through most of last winter and part of the beginning of this winter I ordered the one with a hood when they went on sale. I've worn one or the other almost exclusively this winter. Even this morning with the temperature -15 and windchill at -45 it was warm enough to take the dog out and do most outside activities. I would say that during prolonged inactivity it might be a little light for that, but for normal temperatures as low as the teens to 30s it is more than enough. In fact, I'll probably ditch my Kuiu Spindrift even though it is camp and I only have the others in black and brown. Rarely would I wear one without another jacket over the top anyway.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
Just an observation, id carry more than 3 arrows.

The letherman is not needed. I carried one for a while and it never saw any use.

qtips?

Why not use a standard lid if the space of the longhunter is not needed?

Vest or jacket id pick one or the other. no reason for both. Or don't take either. You have a puffy jacket and a rain jacket.

Ditch the 1pt water bottles for a couple Nalgene bottles. You can put boiling water in them, wide mouth makes them easy to fill. You can use them to keep you warm at night. They wont break. Lots of uses.

I will probably either pick the Guide Jacket or Vest depending on when I go. If it's later in Sept. I'll most likely opt for the Jacket where if I go early I might take just the vest. I may also take my Sitka Jetstream since I think it's a little lighter than the Guide Jacket.

I might have trouble going without the Leatherman. I've worn one on my belt for nearly 20 years and always carry it hunting, fishing or camping. If I would ever have to have an arm amputated, I would have one fitted as a prosthetic.

I'll go back and forth on arrows, but will probably fill the quiver. I ran out of bullets once and ended up missing out on a shot of a 180+ inch whitetail because of it. I figure if I get three shots and miss, I deserve to eat tag soup.

I'll probably take one Camelbak since I have an attachment that allows me to suck through a hose to drink out of it...that way I can just stick it in a side pocket of the DT, but I can take one lighter bottle for extra and back-up.

Q-tips...itchy ears...can't stand not cleaning them daily.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
It's already been mentioned, but I too would personally would drop a knife (small leatherman + havalon is plenty) and drop the guide jacket/vest (Rain shell + merino layers + down jacket is plenty).

I personally hate the Sawyer squeeze filter by itself after trying last summer and don't like the taste of many tablets. Immediate, cold, clean, good tasting water from a tiny spring seep like can be had with a pump filter is hard to beat. This year I am going to try the sawyer squeeze though with the inline adapter kit so that I can use the Platypus Big Zip as my water collecting device instead of those small mouthed Sawyer bags or the too long/tall 2 L bottles (most other things don't have the right threads for the Sawyer Squeeze). This will allow me a squeeze or gravity filter option I hope, and I will add the Platypus bladder as a backup to my main MSR Dromlite bladder.

The pistol is probably unnecessary weight, but if it helps you sleep easier when...wolfs are howling all around you at night, when you are awakened abruptly by a bull moose screaming and snorting because you are camped too close to his nighttime trail through the saddle, when you are awakened by curious deer snorting right next to your tarp, when you're packing out meat at night in griz country, when a small black bear is dragging away your food bag from the edge of camp that you were too lazy to hang after getting into a camping spot late, when a pack of wolves charges at you while you cow call in broad daylight, or when you scarcely catch glimpses of a ghostlike cougar stalking in on you at dusk while you cow call...then the 2 lbs 7 ounces pistol wt seems like weight well carried. These are all things that have happened to my friend and I within the past 2 yrs while hunting and not including some of the crazy people I've met out there on the rare occasion.

The only reason I was considering carrying the pistol as because both times I've hunted this area during rifle season I've seen cat tracks in the snow. We saw bear tracks too, but I'm not too scared of a black bear anyway...the cat is a different story. I'd probably have a much better chance of getting hit by lightning than attacked by a cat though so I think I'll leave it at home.

The only reason I was considering carrying the pistol as because both times I've hunted this area during rifle season I've seen cat tracks in the snow. We saw bear tracks too, but I'm not too scared of a black bear anyway...the cat is a different story. I'd probably have a much better chance of getting hit by lightning than attacked by a cat though so I think I'll leave it at home.

If you're in griz country I would carry a pistol and spray. If not in griz country, its your preference.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
If you do decide to carry the sig, at least par it down some. just bring the 1 mag thats in it, and limit it to say like 5 or 6 rounds. If you don't stop a threat with that many then you are dead anyway. You would be better off with bear spray though IMO, and that goes for a cat or a griz. 70% of attacks involving bear spray resulted in no injury, and the remaining 30% had no fatalities. In contrast only 19% of encounters with a firearm resulted in no injury, 53% fatalities and 28% with surviveable injury. This study was done over a period of 10 years. You be the judge.
in the
Seriously though, with arrows: If you need more than 3 you are doing something seriously wrong. If you miss 3 shots with your bow then you need to take closer shots or practice more. Sorry, not trying to sound like an ass or anything, but you are going hunting not to war. 3 arrows should be plenty, but in the end its your hunt so carry what you are comfortable with.

Why get rid of the Camelback? Ive never had one fail and its too easy to get dehydrated with water bottles.

Beastmode

WKR
Why get rid of the Camelback? Ive never had one fail and its too easy to get dehydrated with water bottles.

Most camelbacks are made out of polyurethane as opposed to 200 D cordura like the MSR Dromedary. The msr's also have a hydration system similar to the camelback. If you use and abuse your bladder overtime you will want an extremely durable one.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
Just saved myself another 7 oz. I took out the clipper, one pair of gloves, one garbage bag & meat baggie out of the kill kit. I'm seriously considering dropping the raingear altogether. My thoughts are that with attack pants and gaiters my legs will be fine in the morning if there is heavy dew. If I keep my guide jacket I can wear that for an insulating layer early and late in the day or if there is light rain to shed a majority of it. For the slight chance there is an all-day rain, chances are we'll just stay close to camp anyway. If there is a big downpour that we get surprised by, I can use the garbage bag that I just took out of the kill kit and is sitting in my truck five miles from where I need it or take a small silnylon tarp and fashion a shelter to wait it out...I think I might put that garbage bag back in the kill kit!

Maybe should look for a space gear jacket for emergency use. That would get me down under 35 lbs.

keep the rain jacket and drop the guide, paired with an insulator layer were getting very multi purpose here. dont get me wrong, i love my guide jacket, i just dont take a softshell on backpack hunts
i agree on a bladder vs bottles, too difficult to drink enough.
i carry an old gatorade that i fill at the last water stop for camp water and a bladder for everything else