Tooth of the arrow 2 blade anyone using?

Have seen some talk about these but majority of info on TOTA is on the 4 blades. Other than Lusk I haven’t seen much on the 2 blade. I purchased them to take out elk hunting this year in 125 grain (I’m a sucker for American made and these are even down to the plastic) Anyone harvest any animals with the 2 blade? If so what were your thoughts? Any input welcome. I also pre ordered the 3 blade coming out from them.
IMG_0478.jpeg

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pk of the sb day of release. Out of pk was the dullest I've seen. And a pain to sharpen with degree and the steel used. TOTA admitted they had troubles with quality control and the steel. I sold them.
But I'm pretty sure it's been resolved.
How are yours out of package?

sndmn11

WKR
Have seen some talk about these but majority of info on TOTA is on the 4 blades. Other than Lusk I haven’t seen much on the 2 blade. I purchased them to take out elk hunting this year in 125 grain (I’m a sucker for American made and these are even down to the plastic) Anyone harvest any animals with the 2 blade? If so what were your thoughts? Any input welcome. I also pre ordered the 3 blade coming out from them.
View attachment 690603
What's the white thing in the package at the bottom?

Haven’t used these but the four blades are great flyers. That is probably one I wouldn’t consider with only two blades and 1” cut. Can’t imagine it would put any blood on the ground.

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
If I was gonna go with a SB it would be the new Magnus. Which I bought and sold. May go back to it later on.
The 4 bladed punches a nice HOLE! Killed a few with it.

OP
SilentPursuit
I bought a pk of the sb day of release. Out of pk was the dullest I've seen. And a pain to sharpen with degree and the steel used. TOTA admitted they had troubles with quality control and the steel. I sold them.
But I'm pretty sure it's been resolved.
How are yours out of package?
I have not opened them yet but I will let you know later today or tomorrow. I have been busy getting my new bow setup and tuned but now I’m curious. Out of the package sharpness is not a crucial factor for me personally. I have an amazing sharpener setup properly with honing oil bath and all. I use to make knives quite often for a hobby before moving to Colorado so achieving shaving quality shouldn’t be an issue.

OP
SilentPursuit
Haven’t used these but the four blades are great flyers. That is probably one I wouldn’t consider with only two blades and 1” cut. Can’t imagine it would put any blood on the ground.
I hear a lot about possibly lack of blood trail. I’m aiming for accuracy and penetration in my elk broadhead. I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with these heads but I may have to just find out for myself.

nphunter

WKR
I hear a lot about possibly lack of blood trail. I’m aiming for accuracy and penetration in my elk broadhead. I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with these heads but I may have to just find out for myself.

Accuracy is a good thing to be after. Penetration is over rated. I’ll take a large single hole over 2 small ones any day of the week. I’ve killed elk with similar heads and really struggled finding blood. Switched to large cut expandables and have been way happier.

Elk can run a long way even after a great shot and if they don’t put blood in the ground within the first couple seconds it can make finding them a nightmare. Most of the mature bulls I’ve killed with expandables have been complete pass throughs as well all the way out to 60 yards. 70lbs, 27.5” draw and 480-500gr arrows.

I’m sure those will be great heads, I may look at them for my wife and kids. They are shooting kudu and jagars for elk.

MattB

WKR
No BH will guaranty 2 holes, that is mostly dictated by shot placement. A 1” 2 blade will come closer to quarantining a poor blood trail if you don’t get an exit than an exit.

OP
SilentPursuit
Accuracy is a good thing to be after. Penetration is over rated. I’ll take a large single hole over 2 small ones any day of the week. I’ve killed elk with similar heads and really struggled finding blood. Switched to large cut expandables and have been way happier.

Elk can run a long way even after a great shot and if they don’t put blood in the ground within the first couple seconds it can make finding them a nightmare. Most of the mature bulls I’ve killed with expandables have been complete pass throughs as well all the way out to 60 yards. 70lbs, 27.5” draw and 480-500gr arrows.

I’m sure those will be great heads, I may look at them for my wife and kids. They are shooting kudu and jagars for elk.
Which mechanicals do you use? Also are you getting lung shots or heart? I should have said that accuracy was 100% a main factor for me. The TOTA are supposed to fly very close to field point, I will find out soon for sure. I also pre ordered the new 3 blade from them so I’ll always have that for a backup plan if I’m not satisfied. The solid one piece with American made quality is very appealing.

OP
SilentPursuit
No BH will guaranty 2 holes, that is mostly dictated by shot placement. A 1” 2 blade will come closer to quarantining a poor blood trail if you don’t get an exit than an exit.
Certainly nothing is a guarantee in hunting. Accuracy with these heads are supposed to be very close to field tips with a well tuned bow. The smaller cut with 2 blades will penetrate better than larger cuts and mechanicals. The 2 blade single bevel also continues to spin after contact unlike many other BH.

MattB

WKR
Certainly nothing is a guarantee in hunting. Accuracy with these heads are supposed to be very close to field tips with a well tuned bow. The smaller cut with 2 blades will penetrate better than larger cuts and mechanicals. The 2 blade single bevel also continues to spin after contact unlike many other BH.
When people talk in terms of “more penetration”, in a practical sense it belies reality. On a broadside shot with an average set-up, full penetration is highly likely. On a quartering away shot where the head hits the offside leg, no head is going to reliably provide full penetration - and in that case a larger entrance would help with the blood trail.

People like to talk about single bevel BH’s continuing to spin through an animal, which I find funny because it does not materially increase the amount of tissue cut but does increase resistance on the head and would theoretically decrease penetration.

The one benefit consistently touted for single bevels is their ability to continue to penetrate after breaking heavy bone. If I wasn’t keen on that benefit (and it seems you are not) I see 0 practical benefit to that design. An Iron Will would be a much more appealing head.

nphunter

WKR
Which mechanicals do you use? Also are you getting lung shots or heart? I should have said that accuracy was 100% a main factor for me. The TOTA are supposed to fly very close to field point, I will find out soon for sure. I also pre ordered the new 3 blade from them so I’ll always have that for a backup plan if I’m not satisfied. The solid one piece with American made quality is very appealing.
I have used rage Trypan and G5 dead meat. I prefer the dead meat because of the collar, both performed great. This year I’m going to be using glue in evolution Hyde’s.

I’ve shot heart and lung shot. I aim for lung shot a few inches behind the shoulder. Had a bull spin at 40 and out a dead meat through the front of his shoulder into his heart.

Dead meat steep downhill shot, 58 yards and probably 50 elevation feet above him.
C8A03345-4B2A-4D31-AFF7-DA7E2A1604E9.jpeg
Here’s the other side
B29FDED8-FC20-4C6C-A8A8-F68E750F51D3.jpeg

Heart shot on one that spun no exit
C54DE107-CC36-4FD1-BFFA-EAC58214363C.jpeg

60 yard lungs
2BE30616-F2E5-4EED-89A3-75AED710EE4B.jpeg
Backside barely poked through the skin.
2021448D-6325-40FE-90C9-05E30210CD1D.jpeg

Trypan through the top of the top front of the shoulder.
75643F06-D1AD-4600-84F7-48A6556B0717.jpeg

Trypan exit low behind the ribs.
72B805EE-09F1-43C5-820E-7DECA605CAAB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
SilentPursuit
When people talk in terms of “more penetration”, in a practical sense it belies reality. On a broadside shot with an average set-up, full penetration is highly likely. On a quartering away shot where the head hits the offside leg, no head is going to reliably provide full penetration - and in that case a larger entrance would help with the blood trail.

People like to talk about single bevel BH’s continuing to spin through an animal, which I find funny because it does not materially increase the amount of tissue cut but does increase resistance on the head and would theoretically decrease penetration.

The one benefit consistently touted for single bevels is their ability to continue to penetrate after breaking heavy bone. If I wasn’t keen on that benefit (and it seems you are not) I see 0 practical benefit to that design. An Iron Will would be a much more appealing head.
Iron Will are probably the next BH I’ll be picking up. They look to be pretty nice and I hear a lot of good things about them. In my opinion accuracy and penetration is the most important. Blood trail is more dependent on shot location than the BH.
Low shot and pass through= good BT, High shot= poor BT. Does not matter which BH you use if your not accurate, and a bad shot is a bad shot.

OP
SilentPursuit
I have used rage Trypan and G5 dead meat. I prefer the dead meat because of the collar, both performed great. This year I’m going to be using glue in evolution Hyde’s.

I’ve shot heart and lung shot. I aim for lung shot a few inches behind the shoulder. Had a bull spin at 40 and out a dead meat through the front of his shoulder into his heart.

Dead meat steep downhill shot, 58 yards and probably 50 elevation feet above him.
View attachment 691128
Here’s the other side
View attachment 691130

Heart shot on one that spun no exit
View attachment 691131

60 yard lungs
View attachment 691132
Backside barely poked through the skin.
View attachment 691145

Trypan through the top of the top front of the shoulder.
View attachment 691146

Trypan exit low behind the ribs.
View attachment 691147
Can’t argue with those results at all. So many BH out there I think as long as it’s sharp and pointy and you’re accurate then you can kill animals. Great work and I hope to be as successful as you.