Monday: Bench, pull-ups, incline
Tuesday: squats, deadlift
Wednesday: standing press, curls, rows, 6mi run
Thursday: squats, deadlift
Friday: bench, pull-ups, 6mi run
Saturday: beer, pizza, tv

Mmcan

WKR
So many variables in this. Most of us have lives and responsibilities that preclude the ability to run/lift/shoot every day for several hours a day. So IMHO, do what you can do, and look into HIIT style training.

For those who can really indulge, check this research out. I would love to derive the best results at all times, but it isn't possible every day, every week,...

The Best Training Split | Men’s Health

Tolbex

FNG
I think it's better to do three workouts a week and every day to work out a certain group of muscles. If you choose to do a full-body activity, no part of the body will be adequately trained to see results. I divided my training into three days. So for the arms, abdomen, and legs, I have different days with very varied exercises. I can say that the day I'm working out my legs is the most exhausting, so then I use some supplements from organicsproutedflour.net that give me more resistance and recovery possibility.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Always did splits as an athlete since I was in the gym at least 5 days a week and I liked it better.

Another thing....have 2 or 3 workouts/machines set up (if gym is full don't be that guy) and don't take breaks between set go back and forth from one to the next. I see more time wasted in the gym by guys checking them selves out in the mirror or staring into space during their minute rest. Drop the dumb bells and start squatting or legs pressing whatever then pick them back up and do another set. You can keep your heart rate up doing this and cut your time at the gym by a large percent.

*zap*

WKR
Fitness is everything as you age, especially strength. Do the best with the time you have and dig deep to allocate more time as possible. You can also do strength without going to the gym.....dips, pullups, pushups, tire drag/flip, get a few kettlebells and make a step up box, etc. 20-30 minutes a few days a week @ home may be your answer....I am 65 and do a 6 workout split that is very complete. I do one of those every 3 days and off days from that is swim, hike and short strength sessions like 5 sets ohp and 5 sets core.....so I actually do strength 5-6 days a week but some days are longer workouts than others. If I go to the gym to swim, usually 4x a week I will hit the weight room first for 30 minutes or so. Just Do It!

Last edited:
For most men in their 40s and older (i'm 46) the best lifts to execute to maximize workout efficiency are explosive moves that work multiple major muscle groups. Regardless of which ones you do, keep the weight light to moderate to avoid injuries until you have excellent technique. Here are some of my favorites:

Explosive moves that work all major muscle groups, crush calories, and provide MAJOR cardio (anaerobic) workout when executed properly (best bang for your precious fitness minutes):
- Snatch or power snatch (technically difficult to do effectively/safely)
- Clean or power clean (not technically difficult)
- Clean and jerk (moderately difficult to do effectively/safely)
- Push press (front and behind the neck)

Static moves that work major muscle groups and can provide major cardio (aerobic) workout when executed properly:
- Back squats (high bar position, keeping spine, hips, knees, and ankles in a vertical line)
- Front squats
- Deadlifts
- Romanian Deadlifts (RDLs)

Accessory moves for working specific major muscle groups:
- Military press- upper back, shoulders, and core
- (Light) bench press- shoulder surgery 2 years ago taught me that benching is terribly overrated for men in their 40s or older and can lead to tightness, tendinitis, and in worst case labrum tears and surgery. Mine was exacerbated by 6 years of wrestling, 11 years of football, and poor lifting technique in high school and college.
- Planks- front and side

Best way to keep aging bodies limber- Yoga