Trad bow equipment choices ?

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I've decided to go with the samick sage to start my trad journey. A lot of choices ahead and I've been researching old threads and you tube videos everyday. For starters the riser has holes I'm assuming are for a quiver that attaches to it? What are some of yalls opinions on what quiver might be the best choice?. Secondly can I but different manufacturers Limbs to put on the samick sage riser ? What about changing the string that comes with it to a better one or is the string provided a good one

sveltri

WKR
Quiver: Selway slide on, when you upgrade your bow the new riser likely won’t have quiver attachment holes
Limbs: only samick limbs will work, may get others to work with modifications, do not recommend
String: absolutely replace the string that came with the bow

OP
Andrewlonghi
Quiver: Selway slide on, when you upgrade your bow the new riser likely won’t have quiver attachment holes
Limbs: only samick limbs will work, may get others to work with modifications, do not recommend
String: absolutely replace the string that came with the bow
I was looking at the bolt on marksman quiver will that work with samick limbs? And any recommendations on a replacement string

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
Fleetwood edge limbs fit with out any modification. I bought an old 55lb sage the limb was twisted so I bought 35,45,50lb Fleetwood limbs all fit on the sage riser with out issue. The threaded hole above the shelf works well for an elevated rest if you have interest in that.

Kentucky

WKR
Everybody suggests a Samick sage… nothing wrong with them…IMO, used ILF is the way to go…those marksman quivers are pricey, gonna cost more than bow…

I would get a cheaper name brand metal riser with replaceable grips, that way you can figure out your preference… something cut past center with an adjustment bolt for the shelf, that way you can work your mind around tuning without cutting up 500$ worth of arrows…try to tune to one tip weight, 150-200 are nice, depending on weight you want… if not you will end up with 6-10 broadheads in 4 different weights,

DWinVA

WKR
Second the Selway slide on. Great quiver & even better people. Get a Mountain Muffler bow string. Both the quiver & string will make the bow quieter. Have fun.

God Bless.

A Sage has two 10-24 holes on the outside of the riser for a sight or quiver, one 5/16-24 hole through the riser just above the shelf (Berger hole) for a rest, and one 5/16-24 hole on the backside of the riser for a stabilizer.

I started with a Sage and just bolted a cheap one piece quiver from an old compound bow to the pair of 10-24 holes in the Sage riser. Most wood riser traditional bows don't have quiver mounting holes though; if you want something universal that you can transfer to something other than a Sage, get a slide-on.

Generally speaking, only Sage limbs will fit on a Sage riser. However, I believe limbs made for some of the Sage clones will also work (e.g., OMP Smoky Mountain, PSE Nighthawk, Southwest Spyder).

If you haven't already pulled the trigger, consider an ILF bow instead of a Sage. An entry level ILF riser + limbs doesn't cost much more than a new Sage and gives you far more options on limb weight, length, material, quality.

Last edited:
OP
Andrewlonghi
A Sage has two 10-24 holes on the outside of the riser for a sight or quiver, one 5/16-24 hole through the riser just above the shelf (Berger hole) for a rest, and one 5/16-24 hole on the backside of the riser for a stabilizer.

I started with a Sage and just bolted a cheap one piece quiver from an old compound bow to the pair of 10-24 holes in the Sage riser. Most wood riser traditional bows don't have quiver mounting holes though; if you want something universal that you can transfer to something other than a Sage, get a slide-on.

Generally speaking, only Sage limbs will fit on a Sage riser. However, I believe limbs made for some of the Sage clones will also work (e.g., OMP Smoky Mountain, PSE Nighthawk, Southwest Spyder).

If you haven't already pulled the trigger, consider an ILF bow instead of a Sage. An entry level ILF riser + limbs doesn't cost much more than a new Sage and gives you far more options on limb weight, length, material, quality.
What would be a good starting ILF bow or setup to start with

Wrench

WKR
Depending on your location... https://www.alternativess.com/
is as cheap as it gets and typically takes about 10 days to show up.

Rms gear in Colorado has a big inventory and some great guys who know more than most of us on this board put together. Lancaster, big Jim's....several others have good stock and great guys.

Selway, thunderhorn, great northern and my current favorite the creek walker are all great quivers. I like the strap on because I break my bows down when I travel on my dirt bike and the arrows stay put.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a great northern aquifer on my bivouac backland ILF longbow. That’s the only how I have these days.

What would be a good starting ILF bow or setup to start with
You could pair a Galaxy Artemis riser with whatever set of $100 Olympic-style limbs strike your fancy and stay under $250 total.

Note that estimating expected draw weight when mixing and matching ILF components can get a bit tricky because riser length affects draw weight. Draw weight of any given set of ILF limbs will be rated at 28" of draw length on a specific riser length...25" for Olympic-style limbs and something shorter (usually 17-21") for "hunting" limbs. The rule of thumb for estimating actual draw weight when mixing and matching limbs and risers is to add 1 pound of draw weight per 1 inch reduction in riser length, and vice versa. For example, limbs rated 40# at 28" on a 25" riser would be expected to measure 44# at 28" if they were installed on a 21" riser.

Beendare

WKR
MM is right on. Starting with ILF gives you millions of mix and match options.

I would recommend staying with name brand limbs- like WNS, Samick, etc.

Worth noting the inexpensive ILF limbs are all pretty darn good

Wrench

WKR
Das, satori, black wolf, titan, Morrison, warfs, the list goes on and on…

Wrench looks like he has a white feather lark…
100%.

The WFL is easily the best bang for the buck. You can rasp it, beat it and never be out over $200.

I added a small piece of grip tape and shoot it as is. I have a few sets of cheaper limbs and they're solid performers.

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I've decided to go with the samick sage to start my trad journey. A lot of choices ahead and I've been researching old threads and you tube videos everyday. For starters the riser has holes I'm assuming are for a quiver that attaches to it? What are some of yalls opinions on what quiver might be the best choice?. Secondly can I but different manufacturers Limbs to put on the samick sage riser ? What about changing the string that comes with it to a better one or is the string provided a good one
Ask on here for a slide on style quiver. Someone always has one laying around. I have a thunder horn I like. As far as buying new limbs and string, just get good with what you have already. I promise it’ll work. Drill good form, lots of great videos on YouTube.