Traditional rookie looking for help with long draw

agood2255

FNG
I had labrum repair on my left shoulder (righty shooter) a few months ago and want to get a traditional bow to help rehab, but also do have interest in dabbling in traditional hunting. I have. 31.5 inch draw and I am certainly open to weight suggestions but by what I’ve been told 20/25 would be a good rehab weight and 35/40 would be good for hunting. Any help is appreciated!

OP
A

agood2255

FNG
I'd go 66"+ long and around 30lbs at your draw length.
30lbs for hunting or for building strength? I believe there is a 35lb requirement in PA but also have no idea if that is advertised 28in weight or to your draw length. Appreciate the help!

ScottinPA

WKR
64" on up will be more comfortable as far as finger pinch though you can shoot shorter. A takedown will allow you to change limbs from rehab to hunting. Depending on your shoulder, 30lb may be too much. Check out Lancaster Archery for help.

Maki35

WKR
How about those exercise bands for rehab. They're sold in various weights. Once you've completed your rehab/ reached your goal, you can buy a 35-40lbs bow for hunting.

oldgoat

WKR
So remember, you are going to gain multiple pounds over what the bow is marked at 28", I wouldn't go less that 64" on a recurve and not less that 66" on a RD Longbow, 68" on D Shape longbow, look at Black Eagle for arrows, they have some that are 34" full length, I draw 31" and like my arrows at least 32" to front of insert, so you'll want a little more than me. If you get 25 or 30# @28" in recurve or 25#@28"(for a longbow (longbows generally gain more weight per inch then recurves), that should be good starting place as long as you get some professional coaching either online or in person! Hit me up in DM if you have any other questions

Rob5589

WKR
30lbs for hunting or for building strength? I believe there is a 35lb requirement in PA but also have no idea if that is advertised 28in weight or to your draw length. Appreciate the help!
I assumed you needed to work into a single string and rehab. The beauty of a take down system is the ability to swap limbs. Start light, start long, get some type of help to be successful.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Samick Sage with 25lbs Limbs for your rehab. Once you are good to go there you can purchase 35-40lbs draw limbs the system is very inexpensive but descent quality so if you end up not sticking with Traditional you wont be out alot of money. Also you can get different length limbs to account for your long draw.