Trail runners / Fast Packing / hiking shoes

What’s the new hotness in 2024 Mountain shoes.

I am not much of a runner, but thinking day hikes, ultra light overnights in rough terrain but without enough of a load to warrant boots.

My brother runs a pair of 9oz saucony trail runners for some serious hikes. For lighter weight, i was a Merrell Moab guy for years. The unlined ones breath well but leak bad and the goretex ones are sweat boxes. Still like them, but their quality ebbs and flows And they aren’t supper light. I tossed a pair of altras lone peaks that chewed up my ankles with their dipshit tongue that was impregnated with razor blades and itching powder apparently. I was pretty happy with my Salomon Xa pros but they are about used up. have a set of salewas mountain trainer lites inbound but I am still open to ideas Until I confirm the fit.

Bonus points for a wide fit and something that can resist some water but doesn’t have to be goretex lined.

what say ye, rok sliders?

Riplip

WKR
Big Salomon fan for what you are describing. Yes the aren't super durable but they fit my feet, and you can find most of models on sale different times of year. Saucony are solid option as well for pure running.

P Carter

WKR
New hotness? I'd say Arctyrx Norvan SL. They're a bit funky, but I like them. Super light, good grip, interesting design to get them that light.

I got them from the outlet site for under $100. I don't think they're particularly wide, and they aren't water-resistant but they dry super fast.

Other than that, I'd say Salomon SpeedCross. I bet you can find the prior version at a reasonable price. I don't love the high heel, but they're my go-to elk hunting shoes.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Available in low or mid height. The material reminds me of the La sportiva tango, semi rigid synthetic but not plastic feeling. Soles will flex comfortably but don’t allow you to feel every pebble. I have wide ish feet and they are just right. Not for flat feet!

Not quite a zero drop but close enough that you will feel it if not used to that.

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve had good luck with the speedcross series. Hunted early season in 2023 with them and they were great. I wore them out after around 400 miles. Also had good luck with La Sportiva Bushido 2 and Ultra Raptors. Salomon XA Pro 3D did very well. A bit heavier but they handled some mileage. I tried out a pair of Oboz Katabatic lows with their version of GoreTex. I’m not a huge fan of their shoes but I do have to say these were very comfortable and I think had the best weather proofing I’ve ever used on a trail shoe. They kept my feet warm and dry in the rain and snow.

clarito

FNG
I've owned Altra Lone Peak mids (older version, the newer ones aren't as good), they were great but unsurprisingly didn't last more than a couple years. I tried the Inov8 G 400 but the arch was in a weird spot for me despite trying multiple sizes. Have heard good things about Topo athletic. Currently using a pair of Danner mountain 600 which are sort of in-between a proper boot and a trail runner, they're comfortable and somewhat durable.

dtrkyman

WKR
Salomon are great out of the box but the two pair I have had did not make it a year!

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
No one can really pick a shoe for you, anymore than someone can pick a your wife for you. Recommendations and parameters can be suggested, and one's own experience shared, but that's about it.

I've had piles, including lots of various Salomon's (my previous favorite). My hand's down favorite is the Topo Ultradventure Pro. Since it's perfection for my feet, it was just discontinued. I bought 3 additional pairs on closeout. I'm sure the regular Ultradventure is fine, but I doubt it's quite as sturdy as the Pro.

Xerute

FNG
I have La Sportiva boots that I loved and ended up wearing La Sportiva Wildcats for my trail runners/every day shoe. I went to a local Fleet Feet and ended up getting a pair of Topo Athletics that I like too. Really comes down to personal preference as long as you stick to a quality brand.

Merrell trail gloves have been my go to lately. But, I love the low stack height and zero drop style of shoes. They also have a gortex version. But, I figure in gortex my sweat and get wet or my feet get wet from the water. So I'd rather deal with a shoe that dries faster and change my socks at camp.

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried way too many boots and shoes. Have always needed wide, and the Altra's definitely have a wide footbox.

Not sure if I always wore the wrong shoe
width, but after trying some Hoka Speedgoats, I've found them to be best for me.

The Altras have zero drop, the Hokas normally 4-5mm i think. I usually get 4-500 miles on a pair. I wouldn't worry at all about water resistance, your feet are gonna get wet with a low top shoe, but they'll dry out as you walk.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
They have to fit first and foremost.

If you’re exploring off trail and/or encounter a lot of rock on trail you want a shoe with a good sticky outsole

Skip the very ultralight trail runners unless you’re racing and on very groomed trails. Get something that offers more protection.

If they happen to fit your feet, I can highly recommend LaSportiva Akasha’s. Nice balance of light weight and protection. Very good outsoles, precise fit in the heel and midfoot with a decently roomy toe box.

I usually go through 2-3 pairs a year getting 500-700 miles/pair. I’ve retired probably 20 pairs, maybe more.

When you find a pair that works for you, buy lots of them :)