Training while on Low Carb Diet

xcutter

WKR
Started a low carb diet in a last attempt to lose more weight before Elk season. My goal is to stay less than 20 carbs per day. Looking for does and don'ts while on this diet. From what I've read online it's hard to maintain strength while on this diet. I'm also counting calories as well. Staying under 2000 cal/day. I lift 3 times per week and do cardio 3 times per week as well. I always start with 5 or 10 minutes of cardio before lifting. Should I change my workout in anyway to accommodate this diet?

Monday - legs and lower body
Tuesday - Cardio jogging or elliptical or stairmaster
Wednesday - Chest, triceps, and upper body
Thursday - Cardio jogging or elliptical or stairmaster
Friday - Full body or whatever isn't too sore
Saturday - Cardio jogging or elliptical or stairmaster
Sunday - rest

Thanks for any help.

It is very possible to perform in the mountains at a high level while low carb. The biggest thing that derails people is when that inevitable carb withdrawal hits and people quit because they don't feel the way they think they should. Eat your carbs in the evening so they will be burned up overnight while sleeping and you can wake up and be already be in a fat burning state, and invest in quality MCT oil and some exogenous ketones. I can't go into the process of the exogenous ketones (google it). As well as every 2 or 3 weeks it is suggested to do a carb refeed. From what I have researched on the refeed protocol it helps to keep your body burning fat and it basically starts the process over and keeps you from hitting a plateau. 20 carbs per day is a good number to start with, but is a pretty low level to stay on for longevity with low carb living. You probably already know to make sure the carbs you get are from quality sources. Once your body has adapted to taking the exogenous ketones use them as your pre-workout along with BCAA's and EAMA's and you will perform at a high level all the time.

I am on a daily intake of around 1900-1950 calories and 45-50% of it is fat, 20-25% carbs and the rest protein. Eating only twice a day. Get up at 7pm, do a heart rate zone 1-2 cardio(usually a 50-65# ruck) and then some sort of lifting and then got to work around 11pm have "bulletproof" coffee once at work. Eat first meal around 1 am eat again around 5am. Get off work around 730am then go to the gym and do 400m of lunges and squat. Don't eat again until after 11pm when at work. So yeah a low carb diet is easy to follow and work out on.

I am on a daily intake of around 1900-1950 calories and 45-50% of it is fat, 20-25% carbs and the rest protein. Eating only twice a day. Get up at 7pm, do a heart rate zone 1-2 cardio(usually a 50-65# ruck) and then some sort of lifting and then got to work around 11pm have "bulletproof" coffee once at work. Eat first meal around 1 am eat again around 5am. Get off work around 730am then go to the gym and do 400m of lunges and squat. Don't eat again until after 11pm when at work. So yeah a low carb diet is easy to follow and work out on.

The "Keto" coffee seems to stave off my hunger for a very long time.

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Tried the bulletproof coffee. That's some good stuff. Really does curve the hunger. I'm using organic coconut oil with it.

I'm down 5 pounds for being on the diet 1 week.

I wish I could make the bullet proof coffee in my kuerig and didn't have to blend it....I know I may sound lazy, but in the morning I just can't make myself go though pulling out the blender and all of that.

I wish I could make the bullet proof coffee in my kuerig and didn't have to blend it....I know I may sound lazy, but in the morning I just can't make myself go though pulling out the blender and all of that.
I use my kuerig and a stick mixer from kitchen aid. Just added butter and oil and mix with stick mixer no extra stuff to really pull out or clean.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Idaho Brad hit this one on the head. If low to no carb is the route you choose to go (I'd recommend against it for a plethora of reasons) MCTs and Exogenous Ketones will give you the sustained energy demanded by the mountains. It takes a few weeks for the enzymatic processes in your body to switch from carb efficient to fat efficient, so be patient!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Been on this diet for 4 weeks. Lost 15 pounds. Seems like I've stalled out. So today I'm having a cheat day of eating carbs. Not more calories. From what I've read it kind of jump starts the process when you go back to no carbs.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand the cutting carbs to lose weight.....you don't need to do it. Each to their own, but there are so many good ways to lose weight, why bother with fads?

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
I don't understand the cutting carbs to lose weight.....you don't need to do it. Each to their own, but there are so many good ways to lose weight, why bother with fads?

Well for me from my trials in weight loss. Cutting out bread, sugar, and starches seem to be the only thing that work for me cutting weight other than starving myself. I have been leaning towards the Paleo type diet. It seems more realistic and healthy and I can move into more of a lifestyle change and not a "Fad".

I went low carb for 2 months and lost 50 lbs. It's nice when you wake up and eat bacon and eggs, then have a ribeye at night. My Cholesterol actually went down, and I just felt all around better. I usually give it up during hunting season and the holidays, and now I'm back on it. For me, it's the easiest way to drop weight without starving myself.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I went low carb for 2 months and lost 50 lbs. It's nice when you wake up and eat bacon and eggs, then have a ribeye at night. My Cholesterol actually went down, and I just felt all around better. I usually give it up during hunting season and the holidays, and now I'm back on it. For me, it's the easiest way to drop weight without starving myself.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I agree its been two years since i started playing with my carbs and im down 80 lbs. I concentrate on my work days and enjoy the weekends at higher carb rate , to an extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xl mammal

FNG
First, decide whether your goal is to be low-carb or ketogenic. 20 grams per day will probably place you in the latter category, especially if working out.

The idea that this is a fad is an uninformed one. Check out some of the YouTube videos discussing the medical research being conducted on ketogenic diets. Here's a good one.

ianpadron

WKR
First, decide whether your goal is to be low-carb or ketogenic. 20 grams per day will probably place you in the latter category, especially if working out.

The idea that this is a fad is an uninformed one. Check out some of the YouTube videos discussing the medical research being conducted on ketogenic diets. Here's a good one.
It is a fad. Can you lose weight on a ketogenic diet...of course.

Will you be a machine in the gym and on the mountain on a ketogenic diet...hell nah!

This from a dude with a degree in exercise science.

There is a reason elite athletes eat hundreds of grams of carbs per day...

Eat whole, clean, natural foods in the proper amounts and you will lose just as much weight, if not more. People mistakenly attribute weight loss to keto when in reality its just cutting out all the shitty processed food they are used to.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

xl mammal

FNG
I'll see your degree in exercise science and raise you a PhD/RD and MD, the qualifications of the guys who did the research in the video you didn't watch. They even talk about the elite athletes who are on ketogenic diets.