Traveling With muzzle loading powder help

Well, I am trying to figure out the best option for an upcoming Colorado elk Muzzleloader hunt. A little background, I am from TN and have been western hunting for 12 years doing DIY backpacking hunts. I have always hunted with a bow or rifle. We used to always drive until we had some major break downs in 15 hours from home, so we started flying the last few years. I'm comfortable flying with weapons, but didn't think about the issue with flying with Blackhorn powder. I understand the ML is no big deal but not sure what I am going to do about getting my powder and primers. I should get drawn on a tag this year in the Walden area. I was curious if someone in that area would want to sell me some once I got there or if I could send my powder/primers to them and meet up with them. I am open to options and suggestions.
Thanks,
Dustin

blackdawg

WKR
With the current shortage of powder on market, virtually nationwide, you could be screwed when arriving in that communist area via air trying to locate specialty items for front loaders. If you couldn’t pre-purchase somehow , other options for travel might be wise to consider, I will be driving from Tennessee and allowing adequate time again this year for my hunt .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Squincher

WKR
Your best bet would probably be to order for in-store pick up at a dealer in whatever city you're flying in to.

i once heard of a bunch of guys that loaded their powder in forty five seventy cases and flew with it. they then pulled the bullets when they arrived.
You sir are genius! 45/70’s next time I travel. Wonder if I can get 100grs by volume in one.
Well, I am trying to figure out the best option for an upcoming Colorado elk Muzzleloader hunt. A little background, I am from TN and have been western hunting for 12 years doing DIY backpacking hunts. I have always hunted with a bow or rifle. We used to always drive until we had some major break downs in 15 hours from home, so we started flying the last few years. I'm comfortable flying with weapons, but didn't think about the issue with flying with Blackhorn powder. I understand the ML is no big deal but not sure what I am going to do about getting my powder and primers. I should get drawn on a tag this year in the Walden area. I was curious if someone in that area would want to sell me some once I got there or if I could send my powder/primers to them and meet up with them. I am open to options and suggestions.
Thanks,
Dustin
Dustin are you diy or guide? Only reason I ask is you could have it shipped from a distributor out there. Or a member here could hold it based on where you are flying into. Just a option.

blackdawg

WKR
i once heard of a bunch of guys that loaded their powder in forty five seventy cases and flew with it. they then pulled the bullets when they arrived.

I agree, Genius! Fly this way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good idea, doesn't even have to be 45/70 cases, any cases you have to reload should work, but of course bigger would be easier. Just pull the bullets, and remeasure into your Quickloaders or whatever you use for powder.

And what's the solution for 209 primers? Couldn't you just load shotshells, cut them open to get powder and primers?

cnelk

WKR
Ship your powder to yourself using USPS Ground - General Delivery to the Walden Post Office.
They will hold it for 30 days. You’ll need a valid ID to pick it up

Can you not:

Put 10+ of the preload (quick loads) with powder and bullets in your rifle case.

And put a box of primers in a small hard case in your checked luggage or even at the opposite end of the rifle case.

Not once has a flight crew asked me to open the case and show them.

OP
Dlbuttram21
Great ideas for sure. I had heard of ppl flying it in loaded cases before but hadn’t actually talked to them to “hear” the real story and didn’t know how to solve the primer issue.
I’m going on a DIY. I thought about the shipping it somewhere but didn’t know how that worked with the local post service. That may be the best bet. I hate to ship it to someone and put a burden on them and their schedule to meet up with me.

Rich M

WKR
The idea of loading up shells and pulling them is great. Shotshells would be even better. You can fit 150 gr of powder in a shotshell and the primer is right there.

Another idea is a PO Box - maybe one of those UPS shipping places, some will rent you an address.

Someone said to buy stuff and have em at the store for pickup - a bass pro or cabelas or menards or ???? nearby?

OP
Dlbuttram21
Yea the shot shell may be easier. How hard you think of would be to pull/push the primer back out?

the problem with store pickup is no one has anything this year.... blackthorn, primers, CO. Legal ML bullets

rayporter

WKR
in store pick up??

what's to stop em from selling to some guy offering a pile of cash-- to make a few extra bucks?

primers are not hard to push out if you have punch the right size. after it is dismantled if you wear safety glasses there is not much chance of getting hurt. i punch out rifle primers all the time with a punch that i hit with a small hammer.

a little planning might help. you would be able to just push them out if you work on the primer pockets before you go.

cnelk

WKR
Just for a little experiment, I sacrificed a 20ga shotgun shell to see how it would work

I opened up the crimp. Dumped out the shot. Pulled the wad. Pulled the powder wad.

Added 90gr of Pyrodex.

The issue is the ‘re-crimp’. It just looks bad. Should wax it or something.

My take away is that in no way in hell would I chance it.
It’s a felony.

Choose wisely

Attachments

• E31F8964-FC51-42E0-85F8-2B38284BDE0A.jpeg
    E31F8964-FC51-42E0-85F8-2B38284BDE0A.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 22

Brendan

WKR
Find a fellow Rokslider driving out for archery season or a summer trip from your area, buy them a case of beer or a nice bottle of bourbon to drop it with someone else in the area in CO. (Or just go back to driving yourself)

Even better, bribe someone with powder and primers, you'll have volunteers lining up around the block!

Done and done and meet some new people at the same time.

OXN939

WKR
It’s a felony.

Just looked into the FAA wording on this. 49 CFR 175.10, if anyone is interested. Never says that centerfire ammunition has to be usable in the rifle I'm transporting in order for me to take it in a checked bag. It also mentions nothing prohibiting reloads. So, if I travel with some .45-70 loaded with BH209, then I'm pretty sure there is also nothing illegal about breaking those loads down when I get to wherever I'm going and using the powder in a muzzleloader. Let me know if I'm missing anything.