Trekking pole features

I have been searching different threads on trekking poles, but most are asking about different brands. The questions I have are:
Are the shockcorded models durable?
Will the carbon fiber models be as durable as aluminum?
Are the shock absorbing ones worth it, or just an nuisance?

xziang

WKR
First year I used some cheap cableas shock absorbing ones and they worked. Now I have some black diamond aluminum ones which I like but will say this season one did 'compressed' on me a couple inches when I put a bunch of weight on it going over deadfall. (just had to re-adjust it). I like them and won't be caught without them in the mountains.

No experience with carbon fiber ones but they will or should be lighter than aluminum and won't conduct electricity. (lightning rod if used to throw up a tarp)

Good luck on your research.

dotman

WKR
I can't answer all of your questions as I have really only used one kind. Aluminum adjustable. I would think the only downside to carbon is if it breaks, the shock system could suck when you need a firm placement if it moves once body weight is put on it.

Sorry I wasn't more help but I have been running Leki's for 4 years without a problem, just get the flip lock tensioner over the twist lock if you go this route no matter the brand.

elkyinzer

WKR
I think poles are a piece of gear you don't have to overthink too much or break the bank on.

I have two telescoping aluminum sets - Black Diamond with cork handle and Leki with some kind of synthetic handle. I think I paid around $60 for each pair on sale. The BD's are a little lighter, the Leki slightly heavier but feel more durable and better built. I really prefer the cork handle more so I usually use those.

Any kind of carbon is prone to breakage under shear stress or being hit with something. I went with aluminum because I am tough on things. Aluminum of course bends and one is a little bent from a fall onto it. Can't say for sure carbon would have broke in that scenario but I suspect it would have.

I can't speak to the shock cord but wouldn't imagine that would be a problem and pretty easy to replace if it starts wearing.

I like the adjustability of the telescoping variety - at times I adjust to different lengths going uphill, downhill, or sidehill.

I can't speak to the shock absorbing variety I've never used or even seen them. Guess that says something to their necessity.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a pair of Leki Micro Vario TI trekking poles and I really like them. Tough aluminum, pretty dang light, and they feel strong. I'll know more after this season but I'm looking forward to using them.

PA 5-0

WKR
I love my Black Diamond carbon poles. They operate with the flick of a wrist. I did break one in AK last year in a fall. So this year, I called BD warranty dept, told them I broke one and wanted to see if I could buy just one pole. They simply said we'll ship you out a new pair on Monday. I had a brand new set on Weds, no charge, not even shipping. Can't beat that customer service!!!

Last edited:
I love my Black Diamond carbon poles. They operate with the flick of a wrist. I did break one in AK last year in a fall. So this year, I called BD warranty dept, told them I broke one and wanted to see if I could buy just one pole. They simply said we'll ship you out a new pair on Monday. I had a brand new set on Weds, no charge, not even shipping. Can't beat that customer service!!!

I had the same thing happen elk hunting, and the same great customer service from black diamond. However, I sold mine and got aluminum poles versions of the ultra distance poles. Personally, the weight savings is not worth the risk of breaking a carbon pole. They just aren't made for handling heavy loads.

I think the shock absorbers are a gimmick and not neccassary, I prefer the carbon fibre over aluminum primarily because I was able to find carbon fibre poles that are dull in colour, no glare. I like the telescopic with flick locks over the 3 piece poles because I use them as shooting sticks as well and on grossly uneven terrain it's nice to be able to individually adjust the legs.

7beb9fc346e8ebb4fa2b95012efef561_zpsphaaj6h2.jpg

slick

WKR
First year I used some cheap cableas shock absorbing ones and they worked. Now I have some black diamond aluminum ones which I like but will say this season one did 'compressed' on me a couple inches when I put a bunch of weight on it going over deadfall. (just had to re-adjust it). I like them and won't be caught without them in the mountains.

No experience with carbon fiber ones but they will or should be lighter than aluminum and won't conduct electricity. (lightning rod if used to throw up a tarp)

Good luck on your research.

Not to lead the discussion off course.. But how concerned are you guys with aluminum poles & lightning?

I've been using BD Z Distance FL poles. Flick lock a must over twist. Carbon is lighter, but could break where aluminum will probably bend at the worst. I like the Z pole feature, but haven't used telescoping ones

Carlin59

WKR
I think the shock absorbers are a gimmick and not neccassary, I prefer the carbon fibre over aluminum primarily because I was able to find carbon fibre poles that are dull in colour, no glare. I like the telescopic with flick locks over the 3 piece poles because I use them as shooting sticks as well and on grossly uneven terrain it's nice to be able to individually adjust the legs.

7beb9fc346e8ebb4fa2b95012efef561_zpsphaaj6h2.jpg

Exactly how I use my BDs for a shooting rest. Very sturdy and easy to adjust the height for sitting/kneeling/standing shots. When you use them as tent/shelter poles as well they quickly become a "must have" piece of kit.

As far as features, I agree with the necessity of flick locks (regardless of brand). If you are looking for a basic, sturdy set I like BD. I think the cheaper aluminum BD designs are just as functional as the higher end models. I would stay away from the shock-absorbing models. No experience with the static-height z-poles, but if they are pulling double duty as tent poles I think think adjustable height would be required.

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
I personally would avoid the shock absorbing poles as I feel it is an unnecessary feature that adds weight, I am not entirely sure if the carbon is stronger or weaker then the aluminum poles with that said I use BD carbon poles exclusively. I have used the lighter Z-poles from BD and wasn't a big fan, I felt they lacked durability and rigidity but they were stolen before i could really test them hard. I don't think i will ever try or use poles from anyone but black diamond firstly because i simply like there poles and the warranty they provide is second to none, on 2 separate occasions I cracked or snapped poles (completely my fault) and they had new replacement parts to me within the week for free.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Komperdell Carbon Vario 4 trekking poles and love them. Lightweight and easy to fold up and strap on the pack. I have owned a variety over the years and these have been my favorite by far. As far as shock absorbing poles, you body has them built in, they are called biceps... Not worth the cost or the weight as far as I am concerned...

Dylanmj

FNG
Carbon is more durable than aluminum I have tested both skiing in backcountry , and this was confirmed by friends who work ski patrol. Shock absorbers a heavy gimmicks (tried those too). I would be leery of shock cord durability although BD has some new poles with a cable system that seem pretty slick and are quickly being adopted by my outdoor tracking/mountaineering friends.