trekking poles tipi and stove

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used a trekking pole/poles for the center pole on a small tipi with a woodstove?

I am putting together a homemade roll up stove for my SL5 and wondering if I will melt the foam grips on my BD Z poles if I use them for the center pole, since they will be next to the stove.

Thoughts?

ScottP

WKR
I had this same thought... so had a custom shock-corded pole made by Bearpaw Wilderness. I usually use sticks for the poles, so definitely needed to go metal or heat-resistant.

horseshoe

FNG
Bought a wyoming lost and found tarp tipi with stove jack and trekking pole sleeves. Fired up my homemade roll-up stove in it with no problem so far, but I will be testing it with a second stove shortly. Something I learned when testing my 1st stove model....not in the tent tho!....be sure to have methods to control the rate of burn. With no air intake control, or damper, my first fire took off! Sounded like a jet engine! Pipe and stove were red hot! I now have intake controls and a damper. The damper really keeps the stove hot and the pipe cooler in control mode but both are adjustable. The position of the stove jack seems to allow adequate distance from the poles but I think some aluminum foil heat shield at any hot spots should do the trick...thanks to you guys I will be looking closer at that the next test!