Tried and True

Anything made by MSR. Water storage, water bladder, water filter, etc, etc.
Exo packs.
Hilleberg tents.
Everything else has failed on me at one point, including most brands of high-end boots.

WyoElk

WKR
Sweet thread.

Ill try not to repeat what people have already said.

Kifaru Sawtooth
Seek Outside box stove
Lowa Tibet Pro (old version)
Dark Energy Battery Pack
Green Superfeet
Kirkland Signature Outdoor Trail Sock
US made Mystery Ranch Nice Frame
Life Proof Phone cases (they only last a year but they are worth the annual purchase)

Things to avoid
Big agnes inflatable pads
Lowa Renegades
Salomon Quest 4D boots
Barnes TSX bullets

You need to fill out the warranty for life proof. For $5 they will send you a replacement. I probably ordered 5 over the last 2 years. I talked to them and they said as long as you they have them in stock they will gladly send you one.

ptarmigan

FNG
Not expensive or flashy but HH Impertech always comes with me whether I'm hunting or fishing. My jetboil is an original that my wife bought me when they first came out. I've boiled ALOT of water and made barrels of coffee with that thing without a hiccup.

Rich M

WKR
With all the new stuff that comes out on a yearly basis, I am always happy to open my Buck 110 and start cutting.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Swaro's SLC binos
SG Sky talus 6900
Havalon Knife
Leupold VX-3 or better scopes
Hanwag boots
2nd the lifeproof phone case, keep getting new cases every yr under the free warranty. Greatest thing ever

The absolute biggest tried and true item that comes to my mind are my Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX boots. I've been wearing the same pair of these boots for going on 9 years now and they just won't wear out or break down. I use them for all my mountain hunts (usually only one a year but sometimes two), and all my hikes, both training and leisure, and they continue to just flat out work. I couldn't even begin to make any kind of an accurate guess as to how many miles I have on them and they appear to have many, many more miles of life left. At this point I don't ever see a need to wear anything else in the mountains, and when/if they do ever wear out, I'll be replacing them with the same thing. I have many other items that I really like but, I either haven't had them for enough years and felt that I've really put them through the wringer ,or I have and they've failed.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
The absolute biggest tried and true item that comes to my mind are my Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX boots. I've been wearing the same pair of these boots for going on 9 years now and they just won't wear out or break down. I use them for all my mountain hunts (usually only one a year but sometimes two), and all my hikes, both training and leisure, and they continue to just flat out work. I couldn't even begin to make any kind of an accurate guess as to how many miles I have on them and they appear to have many, many more miles of life left. At this point I don't ever see a need to wear anything else in the mountains, and when/if they do ever wear out, I'll be replacing them with the same thing. I have many other items that I really like but, I either haven't had them for enough years and felt that I've really put them through the wringer ,or I have and they've failed.
9 years??! What kind of maintenance do you do to keep a pair of boots for 9 years?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

My 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QCSB Cummins manual transmission, manual transfer case, manual locking hubs. Power windows ☺

It's drug the camper from KY to Montana again this year. It's got 340,000 miles on it and the drivetrain will out last the rest of it.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
-1988 4runner (manual 22re, or course)
-Kennetrek boots
-SOG paratool
-BD trekking poles

Bitzenberger fletching jig...
-Couldn't even guess how many vanes have been clamped with this thing

2008 Polaris Ranger side by side
- multiple tire sets, new rear end, clutch belts on and on- but this thing keeps running the mountains, and Utah has no shortage of rocks- it just keeps going

My 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QCSB Cummins manual transmission, manual transfer case, manual locking hubs. Power windows ☺

It's drug the camper from KY to Montana again this year. It's got 340,000 miles on it and the drivetrain will out last the rest of it.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

I have the exact truck, only difference is I unfortunately got talked into an automatic transmission. A little over 200k miles and now on my third transmission as of this past summer. Oh, I also have auto hub, etc., but no issues with anything else really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Bitzenberger fletching jig...
-Couldn't even guess how many vanes have been clamped with this thing

2008 Polaris Ranger side by side
- multiple tire sets, new rear end, clutch belts on and on- but this thing keeps running the mountains, and Utah has no shortage of rocks- it just keeps going
Interesting, I've always heard Polaris was weak in the reliability category, i have always herd the Yamaha wolverine and the kawasaki teryx were tough as nails

Randle

WKR
Interesting, I've always heard Polaris was weak in the reliability category, i have always herd the Yamaha wolverine and the kawasaki teryx were tough as nails

Yep most of the breakdowns we have had when riding have been polaris. All our Yamahas have had no problems.

Asolo fugitive boots. I've had mine for 5.5 years. The bottom tread is almost worn flat but zero separation around the rind or sole. Even on the origin laces.

Kifaru spike camp, best day pack ever.

I have a North face Denali jacket that I bought 20 years ago when North face was still producing high quality outdoor gear. Still gets used as a midlayer

Also still using a eureka dome tent bought around the same time.

Last edited:

rm06

WKR
This is a great thread. I usually get to the point of analysis paralysis when researching gear, I think it's fun reading data, getting stats and comparing people's impressions of items. I have a bunch of new stuff this year but I can easily list of gear that I've put some miles on:

Stone Glacier 5100 with Krux frame
Leatherman Wave - got it cheap from Sportsman's Warehouse, it's laser etched with their logo and the year 2006 and all kinds of dumb
Kuiu Attack pants - Canadian sewn and too big but nothing else works as well or is as versatile. I've tried and own a bunch of others
CamelBak 3 liter bladder - had this since 2007, takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Bite valve has been replaced countless times

Oh, can’t believe I forgot about my Aire cataraft. I bought it new in ‘96 and it’s been all over the state of Alaska, from Bristol Bay to the north side of the Brooks Range, and down to Yakutat and the SE, but it mostly just gets used here in south central. It’s been on fly out, multi week float hunts where it’s carried well over a ton of gear, people, and game, and thus far has never had a single puncture or leak. I would probably consider it one of, if not the best, single pieces of gear/investments in a recreational piece of equipment, that I have ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I am highly blessed- mine just keeps going
The reason the rear end went out is I put a plow on it and use it in the winter time and get impatient going forward and backwards so frequently
:)

Funny cause I wouldn't own a Yamaha cause of my neighbors Rhinos and the fuel delivery issue he had. He walked out of the woods twice.
His wife refused to go with him til he figured out what was going on. He finally put an electric pump and everything was resolved, but the dealers around here ripped him off and never fixed it. He ended up finding/fixing the problem himself. That ruined me on Yamaha around here.

I like the Ranger cause I can haul a full spike/cow elk in the back.......... once I get it lifted up in there
:)