Trijicon Tenmile 3-18i or Burris XTR IIIi 3-18

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Intended use: Hunting first, but want to learn/practice/train enough to play around with PRS/NRL Hunter just to build skill. Will go on a 6.5 Creedmoor and possibly my .280 AI. Target weight will be 10-12#, depending on which rig.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading threads on optics in this range, but haven’t found as much info. on durability of the 3-18 XTR IIIi as the great review (torture test) done on the Tenmile. While some may believe these tests aren’t realistic, I’ve slipped and watched my rifle hit and slide 20-30 feet down mountain rock so I appreciate the approach. Anyway, from what I can tell both scopes have a good track record, but I’m interested to hear thoughts on why one over the other, excluding weight difference (I don’t care about 6-8 oz.). Right now, the sale prices are about the same ($1,050 ish)

So, utility of reticle on low power (with illumination) for hunting? Eye box (super important to me)? Turret differences? Glass/resolution/contrast? Low-light brightness? Durability/tracking/RTZ, etc. of the Burris?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Burris, they are nice scopes, very good glass clarity/low light, solid construction, good tracking and RTZ, I haven't done the drop test or had mine in the field a long time. Knurling is crazy aggressive. Mine isn't illuminated. I have direct experience with a couple friends XTR III as well, nothing to alarm me. I have run the MK5 for years, which has failed the Rokslide drop test, so there's that.

Other than no drop test, its just the knurling that gets a big negative from me.

OP
W

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Got it. Really appreciate the info. I’m not expecting anyone to have comparable data, but there are guys on here that hunt hard and use their gear a lot, so just looking for consistent themes at this point. I’d just pull the trigger on the Tenmile, but slightly prefer XTR III specs/features. Hopeful a few have compared side-by-side and have some thoughts. I realize it may just be they’re both good, just pick one.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got it. Really appreciate the info. I’m not expecting anyone to have comparable data, but there are guys on here that hunt hard and use their gear a lot, so just looking for consistent themes at this point. I’d just pull the trigger on the Tenmile, but slightly prefer XTR III specs/features. Hopeful a few have compared side-by-side and have some thoughts. I realize it may just be they’re both good, just pick one.
I think the "they're both good" applies. My experience is that scopes in generally the same "price band" have similar glass quality. It really can't be any other way, because production of glass is a big part of the cost. Nothing is for free. And, a scope would get called out very fast for bad glass at the price point.

If I were making the choice today, I would choose the Tenmile based on the Rokslide test. Features don't matter as much as the reliability to me. And, some pretty robust and otherwise reliable scopes fail what Form puts them through, like my own trustworthy and beloved MK5. I am certainly not as hard as Form and others on my rifle system.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Intended use: Hunting first, but want to learn/practice/train enough to play around with PRS/NRL Hunter just to build skill. Will go on a 6.5 Creedmoor and possibly my .280 AI. Target weight will be 10-12#, depending on which rig.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading threads on optics in this range, but haven’t found as much info. on durability of the 3-18 XTR IIIi as the great review (torture test) done on the Tenmile. While some may believe these tests aren’t realistic, I’ve slipped and watched my rifle hit and slide 20-30 feet down mountain rock so I appreciate the approach. Anyway, from what I can tell both scopes have a good track record, but I’m interested to hear thoughts on why one over the other, excluding weight difference (I don’t care about 6-8 oz.). Right now, the sale prices are about the same ($1,050 ish)

So, utility of reticle on low power (with illumination) for hunting? Eye box (super important to me)? Turret differences? Glass/resolution/contrast? Low-light brightness? Durability/tracking/RTZ, etc. of the Burris?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

The Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm is a much better hunting scope than the XTR III, and does perfectly fine as a match scope as well.

OP
W

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think the "they're both good" applies. My experience is that scopes in generally the same "price band" have similar glass quality. It really can't be any other way, because production of glass is a big part of the cost. Nothing is for free. And, a scope would get called out very fast for bad glass at the price point.

If I were making the choice today, I would choose the Tenmile based on the Rokslide test. Features don't matter as much as the reliability to me. And, some pretty robust and otherwise reliable scopes fail what Form puts them through, like my own trustworthy and beloved MK5. I am certainly not as hard as Form and others on my rifle system.
The second paragraph helps a bunch, so thank you.

I use a FFP tenmile 3-18 for hunting and nrl hunter matches. Love it. Reticle could have thicker post and less wind hold but it strikes a good balance between gamer & hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a FFP tenmile 3-18 for hunting and nrl hunter matches. Love it. Reticle could have thicker post and less wind hold but it strikes a good balance between gamer & hunter.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
My XTR-III 3-18 has about the thinnest reticle of any I've seen, I find it to be too thin even for match use by my personal preferences, and mine isn't illuminated. It's also 5+ oz heavier.

I haven't owned or fully wrung out a Tenmile, but I've played with them a bit and would choose one for western hunting over the XTR-III personally.

OP
W

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm is a much better hunting scope than the XTR III, and does perfectly fine as a match scope as well.
Form, thanks again for sharing your findings in that long write-up, as well aa answering my message. Appreciate it. Also, I hate Askholes so I won’t be one. Lol! There’s a Tenmile coming my way now. Thank you!!!

OP
W

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider

Thank you!

OP
W

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
My XTR-III 3-18 has about the thinnest reticle of any I've seen, I find it to be too thin even for match use by my personal preferences, and mine isn't illuminated. It's also 5+ oz heavier.

I haven't owned or fully wrung out a Tenmile, but I've played with them a bit and would choose one for western hunting over the XTR-III personally.
I have read that the illuminated version of the XTR has a bit heavier reticle, but sounds like there is no contest here. Glad I made the right call. Thanks.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man, price was too good to pass up. I ordered one…

I can do a side by side in a couple weeks, lol.

I am planning on selling my XTR III. It will save a bit of weight and give more reliability on my little pack gun.

OP
W

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Man, price was too good to pass up. I ordered one…

I can do a side by side in a couple weeks, lol.

I am planning on selling my XTR III. It will save a bit of weight and give more reliability on my little pack gun.
No kidding! When I saw ~$1,050 I had to go back and forth trying to make sure I wasn't missing something. I looked pretty hard and found sub-$1,400, but nothing close to this price. Glad I brought it up!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No kidding! When I saw ~$1,050 I had to go back and forth trying to make sure I wasn't missing something. I looked pretty hard and found sub-$1,400, but nothing close to this price. Glad I brought it up!
I wasn’t in the market, but the scope testing and price you named did it for me. I can sell my XTR and feel like it’s a very good upgrade at the price.