Tripod for glassing and shooting

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
Who has completely switch from Bipod to Tripod for backpack hunts? Which tripods and heads have you had good success with that make a decent compromise between stabilizing a 9ish pound rifle for shooting and still not weighing as much as a range/PRS style tripod?

Now that my kids are starting to hunt I want to get a tripod for them to use when possible but I also need to upgrade my standard hunting tripod so it would be great to buy one that does both (for now).

I have used a Two Vets no name junior (looks like it has been replaced by the ruck) with an anvil 30 head for a couple years for both shooting and glassing and love it. It's around 4 lbs. combined. I also carry a mtngear bipod on my bino harness, just too many times hunting when you just can't replace a bipod. It attaches in seconds and for me is the ideal combination.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Who has completely switch from Bipod to Tripod for backpack hunts? Which tripods and heads have you had good success with that make a decent compromise between stabilizing a 9ish pound rifle for shooting and still not weighing as much as a range/PRS style tripod?

Now that my kids are starting to hunt I want to get a tripod for them to use when possible but I also need to upgrade my standard hunting tripod so it would be great to buy one that does both (for now).
My 15 year old son is super accurate out 400+ on the Spartan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230915_155205_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_155205_Gallery.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 88

Weldor

WKR
The nice part about the trigger stick is one sqeeze and it's extended or retracked. Perfect for walking steep side hills and ascending. I have a cf tripod I bought on ebay for $80 bucks, the thing is bullet proof. I'll weigh it when I get back, but it's light and stable.

taskswap

WKR
I have a trigger stick as well and had the same experience - great in theory, but so heavy my arm ached after hiking 10 miles a day with it. I switched to using a yoke-style rifle rest with a 1/4-20" mount on a piece of all-thread epoxied into the top of my CF hiking stick for quick-setup shots, and a Sirui C2 tripod when I want a full tripod (which I keep in my pack). The trigger stick lives in my truck now - it is the GOAT for supporting laser levels on construction jobs :)

Note: there is a product on the market called the Triclawps, if you want a quick-attach option. It's not the cheapest or lightest but it will hold almost any rifle with no attachments or modifications. That can be nice if you also want to keep a bipod for your rifle so you can mix up your options based on the terrain you're getting into, or just want to keep your rifle simple and clean with no attachments (and light).

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Siriu AM-254 with K20X ball head. Also got a telescoping extension… all from Amazon. Solid setup but a little heavier than a typical sporting tripod.

IMG_1968.jpeg

Picture is of daughter’s 6.5 Grendel setup for youth day in NC this Saturday. 😮

broeske7

FNG
Running a 10” arca rail on my rifle has completely changed the game for me. Both my bipod and tripod attach and can be moved for a more stable and balanced platform to shoot off of. I always keep the bipod attached for the preferred prone shot and the 10” rail gives me plenty of room to mount to a tripod in those sitting/standing shots. Would definitely recommend. Also getting multi uses out of a tripod is awesome. Both a glassing and a shooting platform.

Weldor

WKR
Here's the tripod weight and brand. It also came with a ball head.

Attachments

• tri weight.jpg
    tri weight.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 80
  • tp2.jpg
    tp2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 78
  • tripod.jpg
    tripod.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 74
@NateK
I have completely switched from a Spartan bipod to shooting from a tripod exclusively.
The carbon tripods named above are inferior Chinese carbon that have a sticker slapped on them.

The Spartan system is sloppy as hell. They may work ok for low shooting positions at closer ranges, but the magnetic attachment design leaves much to be desired for any precision shooting.

Personally I have found the Really Right Stuff Ascend-14 and Anvil 30 (Or honestly the knockoff Leofoto MA-30L, which is a few ounces lighter but still built well) head to be head and shoulders above any other system. It is made in the USA out of superior materials than any of the others. It weighs appx 3 lbs 5 oz.

When prone with this system, I am just as stable as any bipod. But most field positions do not allow for proper prone bipod shooting anyhow. In those circumstances, the versatility of a tripod comes into its own. I’ll never use a bipod again for mountain hunting.IMG_8782.jpeg

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
@NateK
I have completely switched from a Spartan bipod to shooting from a tripod exclusively.
The carbon tripods named above are inferior Chinese carbon that have a sticker slapped on them.

The Spartan system is sloppy as hell. They may work ok for low shooting positions at closer ranges, but the magnetic attachment design leaves much to be desired for any precision shooting.

Personally I have found the Really Right Stuff Ascend-14 and Anvil 30 (Or honestly the knockoff Leofoto MA-30L, which is a few ounces lighter but still built well) head to be head and shoulders above any other system. It is made in the USA out of superior materials than any of the others. It weighs appx 3 lbs 5 oz.

When prone with this system, I am just as stable as any bipod. But most field positions do not allow for proper prone bipod shooting anyhow. In those circumstances, the versatility of a tripod comes into its own. I’ll never use a bipod again for mountain hunting.View attachment 605228
Love your rifle set up. Been looking at the hunt 26 for my savage ultralight. Did you add a Arca rail to it or order it that way? How do you like the folding stock?

Love your rifle set up. Been looking at the hunt 26 for my savage ultralight. Did you add a Arca rail to it or order it that way? How do you like the folding stock?
It’s the integrated Arca rail, which is the only way to go with it the HNT 26. The folding stock is great for packing in the mountains and in brush. It locks up completely solid. Couldn’t recommend it more.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
It’s the integrated Arca rail, which is the only way to go with it the HNT 26. The folding stock is great for packing in the mountains and in brush. It locks up completely solid. Couldn’t recommend it more.
I was leaning towards the oryx. But I think it will be more than worth it to make that gun amazing by going with the hunt 26 instead. Thank you for the information. Greatly appreciate it. I’m at a crossroads with upping my rifle game wit my a new stock and also being mindful of needing to be able to have a tripod system I can shoot off of as well as glass. Because I do a TON of glassing from tripods.

I was leaning towards the oryx. But I think it will be more than worth it to make that gun amazing by going with the hunt 26 instead. Thank you for the information. Greatly appreciate it. I’m at a crossroads with upping my rifle game wit my a new stock and also being mindful of needing to be able to have a tripod system I can shoot off of as well as glass. Because I do a TON of glassing from tripods.
Not much better than a RRS Ascend platform with Anvil direct mounted. Put a little panhead atop the anvil or remove anvil & use the center coloumn with panhead for glassing exclusively.