Tripod or No Tripod?

LaHunter

WKR
Question for the predator hunters that have been doing it for a while: Do you normally set up with your rifle in a tripod or not, and your reasoning for your decision. If no tripod, what do you normally use as a rest for longer shots? If you use one sometimes, then what dictates that decision? Arca type rail or Hog Saddle type clamp? Looking for input from guys with plenty of experience. Thanks

Ralphie

WKR
For day time calling I use a tripod for sitting and bipod for prone. Have both ready. And I’ve used both on the same stand to kill coyotes depending on how far they are and the terrain.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Mid-height, two setting bipod - a Harris unit that swivels and pivots [it's actually fully height adjustable but there are two detent positions which work in most situations].. Can be set to high prone or seated positions. I primarily am seated so use the 'high' position.
Attaches to sing stud for stud equipped rifles; stud adapter for picatinny rail setups.
Oregon doesn't have night hunting except some very special circumstances so tripods make no sense to me due to that, their weight and the height [just seem too static for a set].

pirogue

WKR
I use a Spartan Precision bipod, from HappyAntelope, that adjust from 19.5-42”, so I can sit and not have to lay down. It attaches and detaches quickly because of a magnet, and this also ensures your rifle will stand by itself, and not fall over like some cross sticks type bipod. This magnet attachment replaces the sling swivel stud, so you don’t have the additional bulk and weight of a picatinney setup.

IW17

FNG
I use a bipod with the legs closed like a monopod. It allows me to pivot the rifle to scan while keeping my body more stationary. Less movement. If a longer shot presents itself, it's easy to open the legs for a more sturdy rest. For daytime I just typically sit in a turkey chair and shoot off my knee, unless the vegetation is too high to allow it. Then it's back to the bipod.

Wright406

WKR
I’ve converted to only a tripod for seated. But still have my CKYEpod attached in case I need to disconnect for a longer hung up dog

Wright406

WKR
I’ve converted to only a tripod for seated. But still have my CKYEpod attached in case I need to disconnect for a longer hung up dog

rlsmith1

FNG
If ever hunting at night, a tripod is a no brainer. Seems like day hunts it would make sense too if you can make it work for sitting.

I run Arca on a KRG Bravo or a short arca in a keymod or mlok AR handguard

I think it really depends on where you hunt and how the predators respond to the call.

Arca rail for tripod and bipod.

A tripod is the most stable and least maneuverable. If you have a lot of hard charges, are hunting tight thick areas, a bipod/shooting sticks are probably better. If you are hunting more open country but don’t want to lay prone, a tripod works very well.

I’m like Ralphie and Wright406. If sitting I’m using a tripod. I have a bipod attached if needed.

Last edited:

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried about everything over the last 15 years, and I always go back to shooting sticks or a hatch bipod. They are easier to carry and maneuver on moving coyotes. But I only day hunt and I'm sitting all the time.

repins05

WKR
Tripod with Arca day and night if I am not moving constantly. Trigger sticks if I am on foot roaming. I also have a ckyepod that I bring And will use on occasion.

mcseal2

WKR
For day hunting I like the Primos Rapid Pivot bipod. I can quickly pop it off the mount on my rifle if I need to, but I can also shoot confidently to 250 yards from it. Prone isn't an option most places I hunt, but I keep the prone model in my pack as well. If that situation presents itself, I stick it on the rifle instead.

I have a second 2 button remote for my Foxpro mounted to the bipod. If I spot one coming in I can switch to lip squeaks or if I need to stop one, a kiyi without much movement.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running a Swagger for most situations in the daytime either sitting on the ground or a 1 ft tall stool. Tripod with ballhead and arca at night.

packer58

WKR
Bipod for day time calling, what hasn't been mentioned is that you can prop the butt of your rifle on your shoulder using a bipod which minimizes movement getting ready for the shot. Just make sure the legs are tall enough so that when you are set up on a slope you are still comfortable.