Tripod Overload Comparison

Well the off season is hitting pretty hard in my house and I seem to have gone a little crazy on tripods. I've always had a two tripod system, one lightweight for backpacking and one heavier for glassing intensive hunts/close to truck. In the near future my wife will start cashing in some points on hunts and my son will start hunting as well. I want a little beefier tripod that they can shoot off and I can still use for those latter type of hunts. This won't be a review per se, just some observations that might help someone else going through the same process, but if you have any questions I can answer, feel free to ask. I'll periodically update as I use the tripods more. I want to be clear, the 324 and 24L are impressions only, I do not have field use with them.

Left to Right- Slik 632, Slik 624, Slik 733, Leofoto 324C, RRS 24L
IMG_5648.jpeg

624, 632, 733, 324, 24L
IMG_5660.jpeg

Backpacker-
I have been using the slik 624 for about 4 years. I'll swap between two heads typically, the tricer and rrs bpc-16. I recent picked up the silk 632 to replace the 624. Looks like the 632 will cut 7oz off without losing functionality, even have a bit more stability. It is a bit taller extended than the 624 with 3 leg sections out, the 4th section on the 624 is so thin it is only useful if kicking out two legs wide for glassing from a helinox. Entire setup will be under 1lb 11oz, perfect for binos and my small kowa 553.

IMG_5653.jpeg

IMG_5656.jpeg

BPC-16
IMG_5654.jpeg

Tricer
IMG_5655.jpeg

Heavy set-up
I've been using the 733 for several years, typically with the VA-5 head but some last year with the tricer. I've been mainly happy with it, like I said just looking for a little more stability at a reasonable weight. I can glass standing from it (I'm 6') but have to spread the legs a bit and if the center column gets more than half way up it gets fairly wobbly. I haven't tried shooting from it other than using the side to brace off of using the FHF shooting V thing which works pretty well. Solid tripod for it's weight/price.

I picked up the Leofoto 324C with MA-30 head from a member here. I'm not a fan of companies knocking off American products, but decided it would be a good way to try a heavier set up. I also could not find the RRS equivalent in stock anywhere, been looking for months. First impressions are surprisingly positive. The head locks up rock solid, the twist locks are smooth, and carbon does not have as much flex as I was expecting. Fully extended I can stand and glass, still pretty solid with the lack of center column. I would likely carry the tricer on an arca plate to glass from, I don't mind glassing with binoculars from a ball head but a spotter is a no go for long sessions. Tripod with ball head is 3lbs 14oz, with the tricer it would be right at 4lbs. The 733 with VA-5 head was 4lbs as well, so should be same weight with added stability and versatility.

After getting the 324, I found a RRS 24L used through B&H photo. It was too good of a deal to pass up and had been out of stock everywhere else for a while so ordered it. The thing is a beast! As soon as I pulled it out of the box, I knew it was likely too much tripod for me. After combing through the forums, it seemed to be highly recommended as the "if you are only getting one/do it all RRS tripod." Legs are substantially thicker than the 324. Fully extended the base is eye level with me, taller than the 324 and plenty tall to glass from standing. I was expecting to be blown away by this thing, and it is rock solid and impressive, but I am a bit disappointed. After weighing the tripod, it came in at 4lbs 3oz. It's listed on their site as 3.69lbs, so almost a half pound heavier. Add on the 11oz MA30 head (cuts 3-4 oz off the anvil) and 4oz tricer, now sitting over 5lbs. I'm sure that's more than acceptable for some, especially PRS guys, but a little more than I wanted. I am curious if I could take out the last leg section, how much weight that would cut, but then would lose the ability to glass standing. I might should try the Ascend 14/14L.

324C
IMG_5651.jpeg

RRS 24L
IMG_5650.jpeg

IMG_5659.jpeg

VA5
IMG_5658.jpeg

Last edited:

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
awesome summary. I've got the leofoto 324cl with that head, and access to the RRS tfc-24L + anvil. Dimensional twins

Saving this spot so I can piggyback off your post when i get a chance to get comparison pics

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I'm surprised you are bummed about the RRS. I fiddled with one the past few weeks and was shocked at the stability compared to my manfrotto 055carbon.

Is the Leofoto comparable to the RRS?

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
I'm surprised you are bummed about the RRS. I fiddled with one the past few weeks and was shocked at the stability compared to my manfrotto 055carbon.

Is the Leofoto comparable to the RRS?
I’m not sure bummed is the right word, just thought it would be a night and day difference between the two. Maybe more difference would appear through field use, but for my limited purposes, I’m leaning towards the Leofoto. Weight is a concern as well. I should probably track down a 14 for a more direct comparison.

bayangler

FNG
Really helpful. I’m following this as well. I’ve got a bit of a tripod problem myself and have been toying with the idea of some way to actually objectively quantify the differences in stability between different set ups though I’m not sure what exactly that would look like. Thanks for doing this.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
Here is the Leofoto 324 and RRS 24L fully extended next to each other. You can see the diameter difference in the legs as well.
DB56AD8B-7DC6-4A03-9156-A17500EE9641.jpeg
441B914D-4B1D-46CD-8E4A-E534646C1CAF.jpeg

I don't care if I am doing 15 miles a day my RRS TFC-34L and BH-55LR are coming with me. Though I have been looking hard at grabbing the 22i-compact.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
I don't care if I am doing 15 miles a day my RRS TFC-34L and BH-55LR are coming with me. Though I have been looking hard at grabbing the 22i-compact.
You are a tougher man than me. I cover a lot of miles over a lot of days in the mountains, cannot imagine the benefits of carrying a 6lbs tripod outweigh the costs. Everyone’s style is different though.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
Anyone else have RRS tripods? Did they come in at the advertised weight? Thinking of trying to get my hands on an ascend 14 or TFCT 14L but if they regularly come in a half pound over I might look elsewhere.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I do a lot of filming, photo of big game with my "truck tripod", a Sirui 7C.
Of course, using my Swaro spotter for locating game too.

Recent change, from Sirui VA5 to a Geared tripod head, a SunwayFoto GH-PRO II Plus.
What a difference!
Much improved holding power, ease of adjustment as spotter or large cameras don't move once set, precise smooth adjustments, less shake on panning movement.

Love my Slik Pro 733, with Outdoorsman Panhead, always on my pack.

Anyone else have RRS tripods? Did they come in at the advertised weight? Thinking of trying to get my hands on an ascend 14 or TFCT 14L but if they regularly come in a half pound over I might look elsewhere.
I have the ascend and IIRC it comes in at advertised weight. Close enough to my slik 733 in weight but significantly more stable. Don’t have the exact numbers off the top of my head but it’s an easy call for me to bring the RRS over the slik especially if there’s a chance of shooting off it

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
I have the ascend and IIRC it comes in at advertised weight. Close enough to my slik 733 in weight but significantly more stable. Don’t have the exact numbers off the top of my head but it’s an easy call for me to bring the RRS over the slik especially if there’s a chance of shooting off it
That's helpful, thank you. Does yours have the integrated head or platform? Can you glass standing without raising the center column?

That's helpful, thank you. Does yours have the integrated head or platform? Can you glass standing without raising the center column?
I’ve got the center column. Mine is also the long version. On flat ground it works standing. Stability with center column extended is also excellent, it’s on another level compared to the slik in that regard.

You are a tougher man than me. I cover a lot of miles over a lot of days in the mountains, cannot imagine the benefits of carrying a 6lbs tripod outweigh the costs. Everyone’s style is different though.
It really has nothing to do with being more man than you. My preferred method of hunting is to glass until I find an animal I want to go after. So I want the best stability available. Doesn't matter how high end your optics are if you are not stable. Vibration is the enemy. Therefore I carry a beefy tripod. Don't get me wrong it can bring the suck but I simply deal with it.

Anyone else have RRS tripods? Did they come in at the advertised weight?
I hunt with a TFCT-34L + Anvil + PT-Scout. All that together comes out to 6 pounds. My hunting is exclusively tripod/bipod oriented at the moment so it's a no-brainer for me. If I was doing a lot of long-distance camp hunting I'd have different thoughts I imagine. For now it's an easy choice for both glassing and shooting stability.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
Well the 24L is headed back. The weight difference from advertised is a no go for me and likely more tripod than I need. I am considering ordering the 14 or 14L but the center column site has them both ranked below the stiffness of the leofoto I have. As much as it pains me, I'll go forward with the 324 and test it out throughout upcoming bear season.

Rifle on the MA30 head, locks up solid
IMG_5703.jpeg

My glassing set up, tricer on top of the ball head.
IMG_5680.jpeg

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
For anyone considering the 632 or 624, if you regularly glass from a chair, I'd go with the 624 or even the 634. Here are some photos with the tripods next to a helinox zero. 632 is pretty much exclusively for sitting on the ground. That's not an issue for me but might be for some.

632 with binos, legs aren't wide enough to go around chair and spreading them drops it way to low.
IMG_5712.jpeg

624 can be used comfortably with chair zero
IMG_5713.jpeg

@Turkeygetpwnd38 -- It took me a minute to figure out what was going on here. Tricer pan on the MA30 head. Thats smart... So you can glass off tricer and shoot off of the MA30.... I just got the tricer and have my reservations on shooting 8-9 lb gun off of it.