Tripod Question

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got my first tripod, and I'm trying to decide what to do about an Arca rail. I'm using a pic rail with Arca adaptor but I think it's too much downward pressure for the rail/stock the way it's fitted in the front of the stock when locked in place.

Thinking about adding a 4" Area 419 rail but want to get it right before I start drilling holes in my brand new McMillan stock for T nuts. When I ordered the stock, I ordered a pic rail and sling swivel stud but the stud is worthless and in the way (bad choice). Thinking about using stud base/hole for mounting point #1 and then drilling for second hole.

Would appreciate any info from people who have done similar re options and drilling, etc.

Have also looked at Salmon River Solutions. Sticking with Arca head for now, not switching to ArcaLock as I've already spent way too much money on this build (DIY Defiance, Proof, McMillan, Hawkins) in 6.5 CM).

This is a hunting rifle so I'm attempting to keep it simple but way beyond that now.

Thank in advance!

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Very clean, what type of bit did you use? Drill or press or milling machine? I'm assuming the Area 419 works with standard Arca clamp? If using an Arca only (not ArcaLock) would you use Area 419 or one of the other? Thanks for the photos!

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
From memory it was a 3/4" or maybe 7/8" paddle bit, and a smaller (1/4"??) drill bit. I used a drill press on that specific stock, but I've also used a handheld power drill, which turned out fine as well. If you've used a tape measure and/or any power tool ever, you'll be fine.

A419 does work with standard arca clamp. I have an A419 on a different rifle chambered in 7RM, and I have no slippage using that rail with the older (non R-Lock) anvil30. I'd have no issues using a Henderson or RRS rail either.
Thanks, I appreciate the intel!

OP
GAHunterJim

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I debated among many options, went with the Area 419 4.25" to keep it simple for now.

Does having the arca on the bottom of a nice contouring stock feel bad if you carry a lot.
Never had a gun with one but looks uncomfortable to the hand.