Trouble choosing between Tikka t3x superlite and browning x-bolt speed spr

Looking for a new backcountry rifle for Colorado mule deer and elk chambered in 6.5prc i have narrowed it down to the Tikka t3x superlite and browning x-bolt speed spr. I currently own a tikka t3x lite stainless in .270 (great rife) but looking for something new. My current backcountry setup is a Christensen ridgeline .300wsm but im having accuracy issue and i just sold an AR so its only fitting to replace with a new rifle. Im open to other suggestions as well but would like to keep it under $1500.

Browning hells canyon
I own four
2 in 6.5 Creedmoor and 2 in 6.5 prc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxLite

WKR
I think both are great rifles. I’d recommend the Tikka because of 2 reasons - aftermarket exists, the ability to DIY barrel changes.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’d tell you to go with tikka, because of aftermarket options, better action, and better trigger, oh and better barrel…

180ls1

WKR
I'd go tikka since you own one and similar form/function is huge when hunting.

Not because is any better of a rifle.

4Truck

FNG
Just went through this with a coyote rifle. Top two were the Tikka and Browning. Both excellent rifles, but after extensive fondling I went Tikka. It just felt better built than the Browning. Full disclosure, I went with the Roughtech stock, not the standard synthetic.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a new backcountry rifle for Colorado mule deer and elk chambered in 6.5prc i have narrowed it down to the Tikka t3x superlite and browning x-bolt speed spr. I currently own a tikka t3x lite stainless in .270 (great rife) but looking for something new. My current backcountry setup is a Christensen ridgeline .300wsm but im having accuracy issue and i just sold an AR so its only fitting to replace with a new rifle. Im open to other suggestions as well but would like to keep it under $1500.
Have both. Tikka in 270 and Browning Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 PRC If I had to chose one, I’d take the Browning.

ElPollo

WKR
I was considering a Browning 2 years ago, but bought another Tikka instead. Tikka factory triggers are significantly better than Brownings and don’t require replacement or spring changes, there is essentially no aftermarket for Browning in terms of rebarrelling or restocking, I prefer the Tikka’s integral rail over the Browning’s drill and tap, and I find most Browning stocks to be too flexible in the forend (except for the McMillan that has ergonomics that I’m not fond of). I don’t have a ton of experience with Brownings in rain, sleet, snow, and dirt, but I would rank Tikkas as one of the most reliable actions in those conditions.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I own 2 Tikkas and a Browning X-bolt, I like my tikkas and LOVE my Browning. Buy the Browning if you're not looking to extensively modify the rifle. Buy the tikka if you are. The flush fitting magazine on the Browning is far nicer to carry in hand or sling than the protruding magazine of the tikka.

FWIW, 270 win can be loaded to compete closely with the 6.5 PRC out to 1k yards, a new rifle may not be needed. If you WANT a new rifle, however, either choice is excellent.

Buy a tikka because your on rokslide 😂. But in all seriousness I’d have a hard time reaching over a tikka to grab an xbolt.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there's a bad choice. I own both and like them equally. I do think that a Tikka with an aftermarket stock on it would be just an amazing gun though, mine is just factory.

jhoff04

FNG
A little late to this thread but figured I'd offer my input since I own both. I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .300 WM and the Browning Xbolt Speed in 6.5 CM. Both guns group very well with factory ammo. I would personally buy the xbolt just because of the fit/ finish and comes threaded (I run a suppressor) but it really boils down to personal preference. I enjoy both, just one a little more than the other.

Spr and super lite aren’t really in the same class. Maybe a lite that’s chopped and threaded would be a better comparison?

Darryle

WKR
Here's an option, plenty of wiggle room price wise to chop and thread or run an adapter for a suppressor. Stock isn't so bad either.
IMG_3851.jpeg

You ditch the stock on this one, stock alone is 41oz. Plenty of traditional "plastic" stocks on Ebay or find someone willing to trade

IMG_3852.jpeg

Last edited:
I own a Tikka T3 SL in 7RM, Browning HCS in 300 WM and Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. I am happy with any one of the three while hunting. All three are accurate with factory ammunition. The only altering I’ve done on these is a spring in the HCS and a Timney in the Ridgeline. If all three were chambered in 6.5 PRC my favorite would be the Tikka. It just carries well and feels good in the hand. You can’t go wrong with either of your choices IMO.

House21

FNG
I’ve had both and still own 2 tikkas. For me tikkas just feel right, not that the brownings feel bad or shoot bad, they just don’t feel as good as the tikkas. Plus the aftermarket support for tikka is great as well.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I think Lite vs Superlite is .2lbs so essentially nothing. What are you looking for from 6.5 PRC that 270 doesn't do?

If you said 300 PRC or 300WM, or 6 Creedmoor, or 22 Creedmoor I wouldn't question it. I don't see the point in having extremely similar rifles in very similar calibers. If you are looking for something different, why not go for something actually different?