turkey full body mount.

boom

WKR
i want one. but what a PIA!

my hunt spot is nowhere near a good taxidermist. i called and they said to gently flatten the feathers, but the bird in a pillow case and haul ass to them. sound about right? the logistics is a nightmare for me.

so no turkey meat?

and i heard a magnitude of $1800 for a basic full strut mount. is that about right?

WCB

WKR
No way you should be paying $1800 for a Turkey...more around $800-$1000.

You can simply protect them as you would a duck or goose freeze them and bring them in. If you know the taxidermist you may be able to arrange where you bring it in and he can get it skinned where you can keep them meat.

bradb

WKR
Heck they are easy to skin yourself for full body. Youtube it. I carried 2 Goulds in carry on luggage from Mexico to WI and no issues at all. They don't have to be handled that gentle. Watch a few youtube videos and then ask more questions if you like. And if that taxi told you that stuff, run from him!!!
Like said above. $800-$10001454294197899.jpg

Last edited:

stonewall

WKR
Yep. Turkey can be shipped easily. I can walk you through how to skin if you wish. As mentioned it’s not difficult and feathers cover up holes

Most go leg to leg on turkeys. Can run the seam all the way to the tarsus? (End of feathers) and around. Or around top of drumstick

There are taxidermists who specialize in just turkeys. I’d ship to one of them

OP
B

boom

WKR
You all are awesome. Thanks. I went off what my taxidermy dude told me. Bah!

Check out Any Campbell in Oklahoma. He does several hundred a year and is top notch. He ships all over the country.

X2 for Andy campbell in Oklahoma. Only guy I’ll use for turkeys. Super nice fella, and does a bang up job on turkeys. He’s done my wife’s merriams and Gould’s.

AT Hiker

FNG
John Beard (Nothin but Birds) in Dickson, TN is simply one of the best around. His price for a full body mount on a plain base or limb is around $1,100. This is in middle TN where Taxidermy prices are below national average.

His turkey mounts are arguably some of the best you can get for commercial work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrice

FNG
You guys that have full strut mounts, do they hold up well not being in a glass case? I had one done in VA back in the 1990s and it still looks great, but is in a glass case. I've moved a number of times and will have to again and sooner or later that case is going to break. I guess I'm just thinking dust (and maybe bugs) might mess up the feathers over time.

bradb

WKR
Thanks. Started with a couple full strut and then it progressed to this. Oscellated in 2022. http://www.naturesowntaxidermy.com/turkeys.html
Chris did all mine, does them for several taxidermist, and has won several state championships in several states with his turkey mounts

My merriams has moved around a bit and was done about 15 years ago it has held up perfect

bradb

WKR
One of these didn't hold up worth a shit!
One is live Turkey about to get shot, the other Chris's multi state championships turkey mount he used as decoyScreenshot_2016-01-21-13-33-14.pngScreenshot_2016-01-21-13-33-14.png

Jimss

WKR
I wouldn't exactly say skinning a turkey is a piece of cake! They have paper thin skin and it's tricky not to pull or cut parts of the skin....especially in areas around the hinny hole, etc. It's also important not to loose feathers. When you first shoot a tom and they are rolling and flop all over the place...try your best to not loose any feathers...it sometimes is a battle to pin them down! I often grab them by the legs rather allowing them to roll around with feathers flying everywhere! Also pay attention not to shoot tail feathers and other feathers off the tom. It's pretty easy to do if you don't notice the tail feathers are behind the head when shooting. I always shoot for the head....but watch the tail feathers! Heads are freeze-dried and a few pellets in the head are usually ok. Be particular not to bruise the head and beard.

Obviously the better shape your tom is....the better your mount will turn out! As mentioned above, get your tom frozen as quick as possible. If you haven't skinned a tom I would highly recommend freezing it whole and having your taxidermist do the skinning.

Most taxidermists don't want anything to do with turkeys. They take a gob of time to flesh, clean, and mount. That's why they are so expensive to have mounted! I would recommend a taxidermist that specializes in turkeys do your mount. Most taxidermists likely won't take the time it takes to properly mount a bird.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Full draw taxidermy in Buckhannon WV. Tanner is the man at mounting turkeys and killing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
As a member of the NWTF we have always recommended using a pair of nylons to put your bird in the freezer. Head first into a pair of nylons smooths the feathers out. Freeze it whole, make arrangements with taxidermists and send or deliver as discussed. They store really well like this and we have not had an issue in 9 years with doing one mount per year.

Zew

FNG
Turkeys are a pain in the ass to mount. That is why taxidermists charge so much. I've seen way to many mounts that look like a cartoon. Their owners think they look great and I wanna tell them that their mount looks like it went thru a wash machine. Very few taxidermist fall into the VERY GOOD category.
I have a "good" turkey taxidermist here in MN. Satisfied with his work for sure. He's done a few for me.

That being said, my birds will go to James Beard in the future. He is at the top of the very good category.

And then there is Shane Smith, THE guy at the top of the very good category.