Turkey Gun Upgrade...Sight Preference

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Was able to make my short tactical Remington 870 make due for gobblers this spring, however I watched many a turkey wander away on my fall hunt they refused to come into my limited range. Time to make a move to a better tool for the job. Found a 24" Benelli Supernova that I am looking to purchase. However, it has the front bead sight and I prefer open iron sights.

Any expierence or recommendations on a open/ghost sight setup to put gobblers to rest out to 40 yards??

The receiver is tapped for a scope. My initial thought was to put weaver bases on and explore the XS system for rear sight and have a front sight put on to match. This would also allow me to put on and be flexible with other optic systems if I pleased....Red Dot.

Thanks in advance.

mrgreen

WKR
Was in the same situation with my Beretta 1301. Mounted the rail and an Aimpoint Micro, couldn't be happier. Solid, clear, batteries last forever.

sights for turkeys? IMO sights for shotguns are not needed if the gun fits you properly and you are practicing good fundamentals. Unless you are shooting slugs or something.....head down, put the bead in the middle of its neck.....pull the trigger......

N2TRKYS

WKR
Was able to make my short tactical Remington 870 make due for gobblers this spring, however I watched many a turkey wander away on my fall hunt they refused to come into my limited range. Time to make a move to a better tool for the job. Found a 24" Benelli Supernova that I am looking to purchase. However, it has the front bead sight and I prefer open iron sights.

Any expierence or recommendations on a open/ghost sight setup to put gobblers to rest out to 40 yards??

The receiver is tapped for a scope. My initial thought was to put weaver bases on and explore the XS system for rear sight and have a front sight put on to match. This would also allow me to put on and be flexible with other optic systems if I pleased....Red Dot.

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I prefer a bead only for my turkey guns. I don't have to worry about them should I need to crawl after a turkey. However, I know a lot of guys that use Burris FastFires and love them. What ammo are you using?

boom

WKR
sights for turkeys? IMO sights for shotguns are not needed if the gun fits you properly and you are practicing good fundamentals. Unless you are shooting slugs or something.....head down, put the bead in the middle of its neck.....pull the trigger......

i kinda think this way as well. i was looking to build a turkey dedicated gun. i envisioned a camo colored O/U with some red-dot sight.

but a hunt came up unexpected so i took a Remmy 1187 from the back of my gun safe, screwed in a turkey choke and hit the woods. when that bird came in and i lined up the barrel, it was like really low hanging fruit. the bird isnt fast moving, not small, not far.. might be the easiest shot of my life.

now i dont understand dedicated turkey guns..maybe for some ornery vintage, smart bird..but not the ones i chase.

After trying a few add on fiber optic sights I'm finally settled in the "bead only" group. If I had unlimited funding I'd probably try a 24" semi-auto with a reflex style red-dot sight like the Vortex Venom or similar.

Vids

WKR
Bead only for me as well. The first time I went and paper-shot at a turkey target I stopped counting at 30 BBs that had hit the neck/head area at 20 yards and figured there was no need to over think it by trying to be more precise.

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot a lot of birds, some bead only and some with a front/rear sight setup. All get the job done, but with bead only I had a couple occasions I didn't concentrate on a good cheek weld and made poor shots. I try not to go out now without a sight now, since it forces proper alignment. Reduces the chances of screwing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I always wanted a dedicated turkey gun. Last year I bought an 870 20 gauge Youth with a 21" barrel. I had it dipped in Bottomland camo. I'm getting 250 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards and another 250 in the 20" circle at 40 yards with TSS #9s.

TJ

WKR
I like a scope on my turkey gun. I have an 835 that is only used for turkeys.

That gun has won a bunch of Oregon's NWTF still shoot they used to have.

Nock the heck out of a turkey too!

I have tried red dots but still prefer a scope.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Here's a pic of my turkey gun. I think it blends in pretty well.

F976376C-75E8-4B2F-9B77-8986F6A736A4_zpsjymfqlzq.jpg

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Personally, I prefer a bead only for my turkey guns. I don't have to worry about them should I need to crawl after a turkey. However, I know a lot of guys that use Burris FastFires and love them. What ammo are you using?

Thanks for the input. I just got into Turkey hunting this year and it is the only bird hunting I have ever tried with shotgun (Love me some grouse with the .22). The sights are more of a comfort thing for me as I have always shot slugs from my 870. So using a bead only is out of comfort zone.

Prior to any mods for sights I am going to try out the bead only and see how I shoot with it.

Last year I had little time to get prepared and I shot Winchester Longbeard 3" 1-3/4 oz. Was good to 30. Not comfortable with 40. Got lucky and Tom came to 7. Looking to try and pattern some Hi-Density loads this year.

Nice gun!

OP
O

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I've shot a lot of birds, some bead only and some with a front/rear sight setup. All get the job done, but with bead only I had a couple occasions I didn't concentrate on a good cheek weld and made poor shots. I try not to go out now without a sight now, since it forces proper alignment. Reduces the chances of screwing it up.

What sight are you using. My comfort zone is with a sight as I have shot at nothing besides flying clays with a bead.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Thanks for the input. I just got into Turkey hunting this year and it is the only bird hunting I have ever tried with shotgun (Love me some grouse with the .22). The sights are more of a comfort thing for me as I have always shot slugs from my 870. So using a bead only is out of comfort zone.

Prior to any mods for sights I am going to try out the bead only and see how I shoot with it.

Last year I had little time to get prepared and I shot Winchester Longbeard 3" 1-3/4 oz. Was good to 30. Not comfortable with 40. Got lucky and Tom came to 7. Looking to try and pattern some Hi-Density loads this year.

Nice gun!

Thanks.

I know several guys that have a Burris Fast Fire 3 on their turkey guns. This is a red dot type sight thats mounted to the reciever of the gun. Those guys love them.

Murdy

WKR
I picked up a used SuperNova with a 26 inch barrel almost 10 years ago that I envisioned being a dedicated turkey gun. I planned on putting some sort of red dot on it, but am still running the factory bead. It seems to work fine, but I do have to admit it may have cost me once when I took a hurried shot at a gobbler I thought was getting ready to bolt--I suspect I didn't get my head down and with the bead just ended up shooting over his head--never know for sure. Once of these days I might get around to getting that red dot.