Tyvek Bivy...... Anyone?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried this? I've used Tyvek as a ground cloth material and was happy with the results. No sure about the breathability of it in a bivy type use, would be a little concerned about condensation, but I might be wrong. For 30 bucks it might be worth a shot

51LHUfHUTgL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

tdot

WKR
Might be worth trying to find what Tyvek they use. I believe their Residential Tyvek is far more breathable then their Commercial wrap. There was also quite a bit of variation in the coveralls I've looked at.

Edited for brain fart

Last edited:

Gdavis3rd

FNG
Its actually the opposite the regular residential tyvek has the highest perm rating.

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gdavis3rd

FNG
Tyvek homewrap (residential) is 58 perm. Tyvek commercial wrap is 28 perm

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmrwade

FNG
I have used the residential type for almost 10 yrs. condensation every morning. I pull bag out and open air it and it is always good to go. seems superficial to me. regardless of weather it has never been a problem. I am inside a sawtooth, kifaru, or under a tarp. I made mine with double sided carpet tape. have not had to remake one yet. mine is also a roomy rectangle.

Wrench

WKR
You can buy a goretex milsurp for $50 in like new condition almost every day.....and not listen to tyvek.

OP
jakelogsdon

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I have a goretex bivy, that I got with my USGI modular sleep system. It weighs 2 lbs. And it doesn't breathe great.

Last edited:

rmrwade

FNG
very little noise with weathered tyvek. I throw mine in the washing machine when I get them cut to size. goes a long way in reducing noise. new tyvek is indeed loud.

All I know is the tyvek white suits they give us for work sometimes.
Ugg cant get it back off fast enough.
Uncomfortable sweaty, just yuk

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I made a Tyvek bivy last season and even with the top open the condensation was horrible. It didn't soak my down bag but the outer material was pretty darn wet. I tossed it and ordered a borah bivy.

accumax

FNG
I use a 2go systems tyvek bivy. I have 2 different ones. the Trifecta for when the bugs aren't bad and I want a small emergency tarp/bivy. I also have the 2go Systems Velar bivy for when the bugs are bad. Both bivy's are mylar lined and help to hold heat in. Condensation is a minor issue, but I don't use them for more than 1-2 nights.

JRMiller

WKR
SOL Escape Bivy. Waterproof, breathable, weighs 8.5oz, adds 15f or so to sleeping bag rating. Couple it with a 40f or so sleeping bag and you have a 25f degree system for around 2lbs

With the condensation issues I’m surprised guys still use bivys when for a few ounces more you can be in a tent or supertarp.
I quit bivys in the 90’s....

—-
I wonder this same thing. I see no reason to use a bivy, in fact, I have never used one. I haven’t been doing this stuff THAT long, but I just can’t imagine a situation where I would want to trade a tent/tarp for sauna suit. I could maybe see purpose for a bug bivy, but that’s it.

jmike

FNG
When I first saw these I thought it might be nice just to have another layer of protection while in the tepee. But if they sweat like everyone is saying I will have to figger something else out....Ideas ....?

Something I have been eyeballing for just a tough extra protection in the teepee is the z-packs bathtub ground sheet. It provides a little more containment and splash control than just a flat piece of tyvek, not that I have had any problems using a flat groundsheet.

I have not seen one in person though to be able to tell if the bathtub walls would stay up on their own in this kind of application

Maverick1

WKR
For $30 give it a shot.

The way I use my bivy is more like a ground cover for my sleeping pad/air mattress:
  1. Take out the bivy, roll it out on the ground.
  2. Blow up air mattress.
  3. Stuff air mattress into bivy.
  4. Zip bivy closed. (Air mattress is now protected from the ground.)
  5. Roll sleeping bag out on top of bivy/air mattress combo. (Laying on top of bivy/air mattress combo keeps sleeping bag clean and off the ground. Keeping the sleeping bag outside of the bivy avoids condensation issues that could come from being inside the bivy).
  6. Put lightweight tarp over sleeping bag.

If the weather gets really bad (rain or wind), stuff sleeping bag inside of bivy. This give me double protection with bivy and overhead tarp.

A few people that have asked me about this setup wonder if it is weight-effective, and it is over a tent.
Tarp and center pole: 16 oz.
Bivy: 6 oz.

Don't have to deal with condensation issues of bivy alone.
Can handle heavy rain or winds.
Lighter and more versatile than a tent.

Works for me!

Jotis

WKR
Something I have been eyeballing for just a tough extra protection in the teepee is the z-packs bathtub ground sheet. It provides a little more containment and splash control than just a flat piece of tyvek, not that I have had any problems using a flat groundsheet.
Think of trying the z pack bathtub floor myself