UL fuel efficient cook system

I'm pretty sure if you replace that heavy looking lid and remove the handle it would be fairly close to the sterno pot. I bet it would be less than 4.5oz or maybe around 4.

Did anyone buy one of these?

I was going to and I miss out. They're out of stock now.

BBob

WKR
Fire Maple pot stripped (no lid, no handle) 4.2oz. Sterno pot stripped. 4.1oz

The FM plastic lid is 1oz and the Sterno aftermarket lid is .3oz. Find yourself a lightweight lid and the FM pot is the equivalent to the Sterno. FM is taller and a smaller diameter. With the smaller diameter of the FM the Sterno lid doesn’t quite fit but it could be used. I haven’t messed with stoves under the FM yet but will soon. The stove opening on the FM is smaller but it has three slots for pot supports. Should be pretty straightforward fitting a stove under it.

Edit: A Soto Windmaster with a TriFlex support works perfectly with the FM pot. My chopped and modified BRS works fine. A STD BRS should work too. Edit: a BRS needs to be modified to work. The angled put supports won’t work out of the box.
IMG_2325.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
AK Troutbum
4dbce6af0452050f3c3a5fa8131dd25a.jpg

Here's what my Sterno pot came in at (striped and no lid).

All up with CF lid, cut down JB sleeve, and BRS stove.

3232d899bd7d364e21c1e3e3a2062392.jpg

BBob

WKR
The weights I posted still had the riveted on metal handle supports. Remove those and there’s your .5oz difference. I abandoned the cozy and left the handles on my Sterno for a total of 5.8oz
IMG_2326.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
AK Troutbum
The weights I posted still had the riveted on metal handle supports. Remove those and there’s your .5oz difference. I abandoned the cozy and left the handles on my Sterno for a total of 5.8oz
View attachment 634681
When I was doing all my testing I found that the cozy makes a pretty big difference with the overall efficiency, and definitely worth the added 0.6 oz. wt. penalty. I can't recall the exact difference in boil time and amount of fuel used when I compared cozy vs. no cozy, but I do recall that it was significant enough that I opted for it. I think if you're doing shorter trips (like just a few days), it probably wouldn't make much of a difference because you're still going to have to bring a 100gr. fuel cannister, and you'll probably have a fair amount of leftover fuel regardless of using a cozy or not. I need to get the absolute best fuel efficiency I can because most of my trips are between 10-14 days, and I hate the idea of packing a bunch of leftover fuel out of the mountains. If you wanted to keep the handles (which is probably a better idea than what I did), and add the cozy, you could probably just make a small slit in the cozy and slide the handles through it.

BBob

WKR
Dug out the Jetboil MicroMo/Zip cozy intended for the Sterno. It didn’t work out for the Sterno (too small dia, too tall) but fits the FM perfectly with no mods needed. I’ll do some testing as time allows.

FWIW in my testing with the Sterno and no cozy in my use I can go 10+ days on a small canister. That’s early season, two burns a day with random extra coffee here and there. A week is no issue at all. I’ll dig out those numbers again later.

IMG_2328.jpeg

Last edited:

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a caldera cone Ti sidewinder for the past few years and it's been working well for me. I have this one, the cone and pot together weigh about 5 oz, then another 1oz or so for the stove.

The main downsides to using an alcohol stove are that it can take a long time for the burner to bloom, wind may put out the burner, boil times are much longer and alcohol doesn't have near the heat output that propane does, for its weight. The Ti cone in this system is nice because it triples as a pot stand, wind block and heat funnel. I can usually boil 900mL of cold water in around 6 min and use about 1 fl oz of fuel (does not weigh 1 oz). For me the time isn't ever an issue because there's plenty of camp chores to take care of while I wait for my hot water.

I like it because it's simple, not really anything to break, and I can always see how much fuel I have. I've always been bothered by not knowing how much fuel I have in one of the metal canisters, kind of a personal thing. If ever I did run out of fuel I guess I could just build a fire and put my pot on the coals, though I haven't had to do so yet.

If you wanted to run this stove in a tent, floorless would be fine but otherwise you'd have to put it on a rock or something. It gets hot enough inside the cone that the Ti cone has turned purple.

Jayboy

FNG
Great point. I've found carrying tinfoil to wrap around the stove and create a wind screen is light and makes. a huge difference. Can also use a foamie sleeping pad if thats part of your sleep system.

Dug out the Jetboil MicroMo/Zip cozy intended for the Sterno. It didn’t work out for the Sterno (too small dia, too tall) but fits the FM perfectly with no mods needed. I’ll do some testing as time allows.

FWIW in my testing with the Sterno and no cozy in my use I can go 10+ days on a small canister. That’s early season, two burns a day with random extra coffee here and there. A week is no issue at all. I’ll dig out those numbers again later.

View attachment 635751
Does a small fuel canister fit inside the FM cup?

Update*
Found a picture on Amazon showing that a small canister does indeed fit inside.
Ordered the FM Petrel and the MicroMo/Zip cozy to replace my cut down JB cup that I have been using with the BRS stove for a handful of years. I had to use the cup to reach from under my MLD Duomid in a storm to pound stakes back into the ground, as it was the only available thing to do so, in order to keep my shelter from failing. Its a bit beat up from that!

81ObmJo-SbL.jpeg

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Does a small fuel canister fit inside the FM cup?
As you figured out yes it does. A potential hurdle on this pot is the really short heat exchanger. It’s going to leave stoves like the BRS exposed to wind unlike the Sterno with the extended shroud below the HtXch fins shields it well. My Soto Windmaster with the 3 point support is the best option out of the box for this pot but it’s bigger heavier than the BRS. I have a Firemaple that I want to modify that I think will be great but I haven’t had time to get to that yet.

It may be fine with a pocket rocket type stove and a wind shield of sorts if it’s windy. The slots for the stove supports are narrow and stoves with angled supports like the BRS won’t work or at least won’t fit into the slots. Stoves like the pocket rocket with straight supports should be fine as the Windmaster fits. The Windmaster to bottom of pot is much closer than a stove like a pocket rocket where it will have the burner head pretty exposed.

Simple windscreen. Aluminum flashing or similar.
IMG_2633.jpeg

Last edited:
As you figured out yes it does. A potential hurdle on this pot is the really short heat exchanger. It’s going to leave stoves like the BRS exposed to wind unlike the Sterno with the extended shroud below the HtXch fins shields it well. My Soto Windmaster with the 3 point support is the best option out of the box for this pot but it’s bigger heavier than the BRS. I have a Firemaple that I want to modify that I think will be great but I haven’t had time to get to that yet.

It may be fine with a pocket rocket type stove and a wind shield of sorts if it’s windy. The slots for the stove supports are narrow and stoves with angled supports like the BRS won’t work or at least won’t fit into the slots. Stoves like the pocket rocket with straight supports should be fine as the Windmaster fits. The Windmaster to bottom of pot is much closer than a stove like a pocket rocket where it will have the burner head pretty exposed.

Simple windscreen. Aluminum flashing or similar.
View attachment 661278

I suppose it would be pretty easy to modify the FM pot to accept the BRS with a dremel, though I havnt seen it in person yet.
I do have a Soto Windmaster that I could install the Triflex on. That combination would probably be super easy efficient.

BBob

WKR
I suppose it would be pretty easy to modify the FM pot to accept the BRS with a dremel, though I havnt seen it in person yet.
I do have a Soto Windmaster that I could install the Triflex on. That combination would probably be super easy efficient.
Flat Cat Gear video on the FM Petrel HX. Shows a little of what I'm talking about as to stove supports and exposed burner head:

ljalberta

WKR
Just got the Fire Maple pot myself. Anyone have any suggestions for removing the riveted on handle support?

The handle itself can pop off easily, but I’m not sure the best approach for removing the attachment section that is riveted on.

sr80

WKR
Just got the Fire Maple pot myself. Anyone have any suggestions for removing the riveted on handle support?

The handle itself can pop off easily, but I’m not sure the best approach for removing the attachment section that is riveted on.
any idea if that fire maple pot would work with a pocket rocket deluxe?

fshaw

WKR
Cool thread. Demming, the father of “continuous improvement”, would be proud.

BBob

WKR
any idea if that fire maple pot would work with a pocket rocket deluxe?
With the straight pot stands it should but it’s not going to be as optimal or as efficient as it could be. The burner is going to be exposed due to the long pot stands. That’s the problem with the JetBoil Stash. Setups like that aren’t as efficient as when you get the burner shrouded in some way. If wind is never an issue for you you’d be fine. The heat exchanger fins and shrouding on this pot is very short compared to most other designs.

A way more efficient, cheap but a little bigger and heavier setup would be a Fire Maple X1 with a stripped down burner. It’s been tested to be one of the more efficient systems out there. Current price is about $42 for the complete setup. All you’d have to do is strip down the burner to cut the weight from ~18oz to ~10oz.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Small drill bit a bit smaller than the rolled over portion of the rivet. Carefully drill until the flanges come loose and pop off. Wiggle pry the handle support off. Support the rivet from the inside and carefully peen it down with a hammer from the outside. I might start by expanding the rivet with a center punch to flare it slightly before finishing it. That’s about what I’ve done in similar situations.