Ultralight Backpacking Tent

Shraggs

WKR
Gotcha. You can get rid of center pole in all of the 2 person mids by going A frame far as I know. To me it seems like the solomidXL still has the same issues with pole in the way, it just doesn't have space on the entrance side of the pole like a duo does.

Mids are simple and light, but I do miss stratospire type head room when using them. The stratospire Li in floorless configuration is still tempting to me.

I agree and think a mid is great for one possibly cramped for two unless you up size. Duomid and happi, but can do two if needed I’m thinking. Great points on solomid going to pass on it. Love the strato too and like two poles for two guys for the head room. MSR is ok but the strato in cuben has the doors right to me. Twin sisters is 32 oz in sil, 28 seems a bit heavy in cuben, is that all up weight - line stakes and stuff sack?

I agree and think a mid is great for one possibly cramped for two unless you up size. Duomid and happi, but can do two if needed I’m thinking. Great points on solomid going to pass on it. Love the strato too and like two poles for two guys for the head room. MSR is ok but the strato in cuben has the doors right to me. Twin sisters is 32 oz in sil, 28 seems a bit heavy in cuben, is that all up weight - line stakes and stuff sack?

Twin sister is a floorless shelter, stratospire Li is double walled and less than 28 ounces with rainfy, inner, guy lines, stakes, and stuff sack.

Apples to apples, A stratospire Li run as a floorless is 14 ounces IIRC including guy lines and stakes. A Twin sister without guy lines and stakes is 32 ounces. Big difference, and I like the pole layout of the SS much better.

The TT SS2 is a little bigger than the Li and run in floorless configuration is somewhere around 24 ounces. It would be a closer comparison in size, weight, $ to twin sister.

Hi Greg, nice pic as usual! Is that the happi with two trekking poles in A frame?

I’m still stuck on this vs solomid xl, keep over thinking rain coming in if two of us in happi

John

Yup. I’ve been really happy with my Hapi (sorry, I know that was pretty cheesy), but MLD makes great shelters as well. I haven’t had any issues with rain coming in, but I’ve yet to use it in a sideways, driving downpour. I do like the fact that MLD puts a storm flap on their Mids, and I have used a SoloMid before in driving rain with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
I’d also love to hear first hand experience on the aeon! Especially if setup is finicky when it’s dark and tired.

Hi Greg, nice pic as usual! Is that the happi with two trekking poles in A frame?

I’m still stuck on this vs solomid xl, keep over thinking rain coming in if two of us in happi

John

On backpackinglight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the fabric like, doesn't say on the site, is it water resistant/sealed?

Would be interesting if they made some ultra light carbon poles. If you're staying in the tent for more than one night might be a pain to take out and replace trekking poles. I guess you could figure something out for that price.

Fabric is water-proof and lightweight. Bottom is a tarp material that is a bit like a bathtub and it rises up the sides. I am very pleased with it. You can cut limbs to make tent poles or use the Trekking poles. I spray sealed mine with tent sealer and sealed all the seams. Should make an awesome backpack tent this year. Slept in it already and I have no complaints. No problems with the Trekking poles that came with the tent combo kit. I might take a small ground tarp just for added protection.

The trekker 2.2 has additional side vents to help with the condensation.

Shraggs

WKR
Greg and WG thanks for the links! LG gone, I ruled solomid xl out, but it’s good price so thinking.

WG great points on twin sisters vs strato. A lot more livability for the weight. That make great two person shelter one one of these mids as solo, I’m leaning LG happi but it makes Greg smile.

Lee Harrison

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll throw our hat in the ring. Check out the Seek Outside Eolus 2 P Trekking Pole Tent. Has the option to have an internal bug proof tent that can be setup easily with the tent. I'd go for the Ultralight (Dyneema Cuben Fiber) option.

Here's a link: EOLUS

CMF

WKR
Fabric is water-proof and lightweight. Bottom is a tarp material that is a bit like a bathtub and it rises up the sides. I am very pleased with it. You can cut limbs to make tent poles or use the Trekking poles. I spray sealed mine with tent sealer and sealed all the seams. Should make an awesome backpack tent this year. Slept in it already and I have no complaints. No problems with the Trekking poles that came with the tent combo kit. I might take a small ground tarp just for added protection.

The trekker 2.2 has additional side vents to help with the condensation.
I also added some guy lines to the side vents to open them up some more, pic in another thread if you search for it. I don't see any issues taking the poles in and out for the day when you're not using the tent.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sprang for an Aeon Li this spring, it arrived the very same day I was heading out the door for the start of the Bob Marshall Open. I quickly set it up in my backyard and rolled the dice and decided to bring an unproven shelter with me. The conditions were wet for this year's event (not unusual) and happy to report the Aeon fully lived up to my expectations. It was easy to setup (although I'd recommend doing it a couple of times in your backyard and instead of one hurried setup!) and small overall footprint let me set it up in spots that many other shelters wouldn't fit. It was plenty roomy for me (5'11" 180-ish) and has a decent sized vestibule for your pack/boots. The design of the floor when pitched, provides a bathtub style that very effectively kept out rain. The pyramid shape of the shelter does a good job with wind.

Mine weighs in at exactly 16 oz w/ guys AND stakes, that's pretty darn light for a complete shelter w/ a floor and netting.

While probably not the shelter I'd choose late in the season or for winter outings, I'm very comfortable with it for summer and a good share of spring/fall.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Received my Aeon LI today. Setup is easy. Its so light, my Bora bivy & tarp will probably never get used again. I think this is going to work out great.
i-T39SQhL-L.jpg

i-RwX7gqp-L.jpg

Last edited:
Tarptent Rainbow is hard to beat at 33oz considering it does not use trekking poles and actually has a pole support structure. Also, most don't realize all tarptent come with 30D fly and floor fabric. Also the fly and floor are rated between 3000 - 5000mm for waterproof rating. to put this in perspective KUIU, MSR, and the majority of the other major backpacking brand tents have the standard 1200MM rating. This equals a much more robust protection in foul weather.

sneek-ee

WKR
Received my Aeon LI today. Setup is easy. Its so light, my Bora bivy & tarp will probably never get used again. I think this is going to work out great.
i-T39SQhL-L.jpg

i-RwX7gqp-L.jpg

Which pole are you using with it, and what length is it? Adjustable?

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Which pole are you using with it, and what length is it? Adjustable?

I purchased the aluminum support pole from Tarptent. Henry recommended the 45" and thats what I went with. It works perfectly for setting the tent up with the sides down to the ground for good coverage for "weather", but I'm thinking about getting a 48" or an adjustable from Ruta Locura, so you can set it up higher for more ventilation. I saw someone with the 48" and you can just angle it out a bit to get lower if you need to for rain/weather.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m using both a straight 130 pole and an adjustable 135 pole; the non adjustable one I just angle slightly

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
You'll get a lot of different answers on this, and it won't mean anything because the only answer that matters is the tent that YOU think is best. And that's going to be based on a lot of factors. Do you want free standing or not? Front entry or side entry? How many people? Dual entries or just one? Tent poles, or trekking pole support? Silnylon or cuben? Single wall or double wall? Bug protection or no? What's your budget?
I would read the individual tent reviews and the state of the market reports here. Explore the articles. Then, when you've narrowed down what you might want to try, keep a daily watch on the Gearswap and buy it used. Nearly every tent I've ever been interested in was available on Gearswap for much less than it could be purchased new. And then, if the tent just isn't right for you, you can sell it for what you have in it rather than losing 40%.

worx53

WKR
Stratospire Li would be best for battling condensation with a great weight/space balance. Not the easiest to setup but not difficult either.
Aeon Li if weight is more important and you're willing to give up space and some condensation management.
Yup...stratospire LI. Once you use it a couple times setup is less than 2 minutes. Very versatile as a tent or just a super light weight tarp!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk