Ultralight Duplex for normal-shaped backs?

I'm thinking about getting one of the new Kifaru Duplex frames. I like the looks of the ultralight with the arrows as frame stays. I saw Aron's video where he says the added padding helps make up for the straightness of the arrows in contouring to normal-shaped (not flat) backs. Has anyone else with normal-curved backs used this frame yet? I'm still curious if it would fit as well as the shaped composite stays on the hunting frame.

dotman

WKR
The arrow stays conform to your body type so they will work with normal or flat back.

LBFowler

WKR
The arrow stays conform to your body type so they will work with normal or flat back.

I don't know if I would go that far, they certainly bend but you can't get a complex double curve like with aluminum/composite. Hit the load lifters hard and I'm pretty sure they just bend into a continuous shallow "C," I don't think you could achieve an "S"

I don't know if I think having a perfectly curved frame is as big of a deal as some people claim, MR and SG seem to get by with a flat frame I don't see why it wouldn't work for a Kif as well.

Are the arrows not a good bit stiffer in the 22" frame or do they use a different spine? Just wondering how much they would "conform" to your back. I'm a short guy and am trying to decide what route to go myself.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a new duplex frame with arrows this season. I packed about 7-8 animals and there were no issues. Best internal frame I've ever used. I still like my bullpac with a kifaru belt for multiple elk trips, but not for hunting. Most of the animals I packed were deer with bone in. I could get an entire deer and my day gear in one trip. I am not into 100 pound loads, but I must have been pushing that on several animals. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I ran both a mountain warrior and a cargo panel. Really like how the cargo panel carried, but the bag was fine as well.

dotman

WKR
I don't know if I would go that far, they certainly bend but you can't get a complex double curve like with aluminum/composite. Hit the load lifters hard and I'm pretty sure they just bend into a continuous shallow "C," I don't think you could achieve an "S"

I don't know if I think having a perfectly curved frame is as big of a deal as some people claim, MR and SG seem to get by with a flat frame I don't see why it wouldn't work for a Kif as well.

Yeah but look at the human back, it isn't an S. Take both ends of an S and bend them back 45* or so. Maybe I have an average back but my UL duplex with 2 sets of arrows perfectly conforms to my back.

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear. I was looking for this info earlier in the week. I have a normal back and decided on Monday to go ahead and order the UL duplex. My previous frames have had normal back composite stays and they've been great, but I wanted to see if the UL option would work for me (plus it's cheaper). The good thing to all of this is if the arrows don't work, you can pick up a set of the composite stays to use instead.

Manosteel

WKR
I have a normal back, i.e. I have a Butt. I hauled out big loads (120+)with the arrow stays and standard composite stays in the new Duplex frame this past season. No question, the composite stays were way more comfortable and stable for me. The arrow stays worked but I didn't like the flex you get from them, especially under heavy load. The arrow stays also kepted the pack closer to my back which meant less air flow and a sweater back. To me sacrifcing comfort for a few ounces on long heavey gruelling pack outs is NOT worth it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks manosteel. I went with the composites not sure if I should get the arrows or not but your comment reinforced my decision. In reality the Kifaru will only be used when actually hunting and therefore expecting heavy loads. For scouting and most general backpacking I will be using lighter pack options. Thanks for the info.

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
I think that's what makes this frame the best out there. You can change the stays lighter with more flex or go more rigid. Very little weight difference for the oz. counters, but to be able to customize the frame to you're preferences. Most other packs I see the frame is what it is, not really any options to change the way it fits you're back or the weight you intend to carry. It seemed like in the reviews some prefer stays or some prefer the arrows. Nice to have options and a lot of bags can be mounted to these frames as SHTF has demonstrated!

LBFowler

WKR
I think that's what makes this frame the best out there. You can change the stays lighter with more flex or go more rigid. Very little weight difference for the oz. counters, but to be able to customize the frame to you're preferences. Most other packs I see the frame is what it is, not really any options to change the way it fits you're back or the weight you intend to carry. It seemed like in the reviews some prefer stays or some prefer the arrows. Nice to have options and a lot of bags can be mounted to these frames as SHTF has demonstrated!

to be fair, nearly any traditional internal frame pack can swap stays to carbon arrows, thinner/thicker or wider/narrower bar stock, most people just don't think of it. I'm wondering how long it will be until all those guys with USMC surplus ILBEs figure out they can throw carbon arrows in their packs too.
I'm playing with some 7075 al stays in my duplex right now (basically 26" ILBE stays), they are about 5oz lighter then the kifaru aluminum stays and a good bit more flexible, but they hold a shape unlike the arrows.

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
to be fair, nearly any traditional internal frame pack can swap stays to carbon arrows, thinner/thicker or wider/narrower bar stock, most people just don't think of it. I'm wondering how long it will be until all those guys with USMC surplus ILBEs figure out they can throw carbon arrows in their packs too.
I'm playing with some 7075 al stays in my duplex right now (basically 26" ILBE stays), they are about 5oz lighter then the kifaru aluminum stays and a good bit more flexible, but they hold a shape unlike the arrows.

LB I guess I should of been more specific as the duplex is external. I was referring more to stand alone frames. My horn hunter full curl frame is non adjustable, total revamp or try to bend it. I have another welded aluminum frame non adjustable. Maybe all the other top packs have the same options for external frame adjustments, if so I stand corrected. Ive seen torso and lumbar pad adjustments but not actual structural frame adjustments. Good idea on the ilbe stays

dotman

WKR
Thanks manosteel. I went with the composites not sure if I should get the arrows or not but your comment reinforced my decision. In reality the Kifaru will only be used when actually hunting and therefore expecting heavy loads. For scouting and most general backpacking I will be using lighter pack options. Thanks for the info.

If you want to test the arrows out they are only $10 purchased separately. I didn't notice much diff in airflow from my UL to my Bikini, my back got really wet with both, lol. Neither were uncomfortably hot.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR

Exactly, my buddy put arrow stays in his Gen2 duplex, he loves it, another buddy built his own stays from aluminum stock from Home Depot. I have two arrows in each stay pocket, worked well packing out my entire MD this year with day gear but by no means was it 120lb pack out.