New Ultralight Rifle Build ideas

180ls1

WKR
The Howa superlite comes with a stockys from the factory and are to be had for $850.

The Howa superlite comes with a stockys from the factory and are to be had for $850.
If they had a stainless action/barrel option, 16-18 inch 6mmCreed and 16 inch 6.5cm option... and a vertical grip style stock... I'd be a lot more interested in the howa superlite.

flyguyskt

FNG
IF weight is a huge consideration and. 308.... there is really only 1 ONE choice ... Kimber mnt ascent! mine fully ready to hunt with good optics, sling, 5 rnds ammo, and adjustable bipod comes in at 7#... most of the other light weight start at 6.5... base rifle is 4.5 pounds!! mine performed at under .5" 5 round groups if I do my job... in all fairness it did not shoot like this right or of the box... I cleaned up the stock, bedded it and I hand load for it. pushing a 168grn ablr to 2750fps

A lightweight Kimber 84m 308 will get the job done. This one my boy used to get his 2023 bull weighs just 5lbs 12oz including mag, scope, and suppressor. 1 shot with factory Terminal Ascent dropped that bull in his tracks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240316-140656_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240316-140656_Gallery.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi Everyone,

I know theres about 1,000 Ultralight rifle build threads out there and i've read through many of them but I thought I'd try to get some peoples direct opinions on what to do. I am looking to build an ultralight rifle for mountain hunting this year and i've got a few ideas, and would like peoples opinions on them. This is just for the base rifle, not scope or rings. All pricing is based on current sales going on.

First build option:

CA Mesa FFT .308 $1050 on sale at Euro-Optic
Base weight is 5.5 lbs
Swap the stock for a stockys stock for about $550 +8Oz
Looking at about $1800 after FFL, taxes and fees
My reservation with CA is all the horror stories of their QC and CS. I have a CA MPR in 300PRC and love that thing but maybe I got lucky with it
Pros: Cheap, good deals going right now. Lightest build option that fits budget. Can sell FFT stock to make some money back
Cons: CA QC and CS, may have to deal with more problems down the line

Savage 110 Ultralite .308 $1550 most places
Base Weight is 6lbs
Would like to swap the stock but no idea what the weight change would be
Pros: Proof barrel, reliable, not too many bad stories on it
Cons: Heavier, longer barrel (Pro or con depending on how you see it), cheap stock, not a lot of customizability, mid tier trigger

Seekings Havak PH .308 $1850
Base Weight is 6.9lbs
Considering chopping barrel from 24" to 20" and swapping rail for talley rings to cut weight but don't know how much that would actually decrease the weight. Plus thats an added cost.
Pros: Obviously a top tier rifle and top tier company with QC and CS. Has the look I like. Ready to go out the box.
Cons: A lot heavier than the other options. Most expensive option. Availability is mixed.

Let me know your thoughts and go ez on me lol. Also, not interested in a Tikka at this time.
You mean purchase a factory rifle? I don’t see any build options, here?

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up ordering a Seekins Havak Element, bit the bullet and spending up based on reviews and their CS. Topping it with a Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18x44 on talley rings. Not super light but will come in under 8# with scope, rings, bipod, brake, and ammo, which im happy with.

I ended up ordering a Seekins Havak Element, bit the bullet and spending up based on reviews and their CS. Topping it with a Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18x44 on talley rings. Not super light but will come in under 8# with scope, rings, bipod, brake, and ammo, which im happy with.
If you find your Element isn't shooting like you need, try their side port brake that comes with their magnum calibers. I found on my 300wm it acted like a barrel tuner... different number of turns away from screwed all the way on, and group sizes and poi would change dramatically.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an element in 6.5 creedmoor. Shoots awesome, I have a trijicon tenmile hx 3-18x50 and a TBAC ultra 7 on it.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have an element in 6.5 creedmoor. Shoots awesome, I have a trijicon tenmile hx 3-18x50 and a TBAC ultra 7 on it.
Glad to hear that. Hows the combo with the tenmile feel? Havent seen a lot of reviews or input on the scope in general, let alone on the element so I would be happy to hear something on it.

Im still waiting on my rifle to arrive at my local sportsman's before I can go start the 10-day jail sentence on it and then its finally in my hands.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you find your Element isn't shooting like you need, try their side port brake that comes with their magnum calibers. I found on my 300wm it acted like a barrel tuner... different number of turns away from screwed all the way on, and group sizes and poi would change dramatically.

Thats interesting, Ill have to see if thats an issue. Im going to order a Dead Air DA102 brake to throw on it since if I am ever able to move to a state where I can get a can I plan to get a Dead Air.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Glad to hear that. Hows the combo with the tenmile feel? Havent seen a lot of reviews or input on the scope in general, let alone on the element so I would be happy to hear something on it.

Im still waiting on my rifle to arrive at my local sportsman's before I can go start the 10-day jail sentence on it and then its finally in my hands.
I'd prefer a smaller stock on that rifle, I've just been busy with other things so that rifle hasn't been shot or even thought about much. I'd like an NXS 2.5-10 for it. Even those ultralight guns start getting up in weight when you add silencers and big scopes.